Looking for a Partitioning Program for Windows XP, that Creates 4K Aligned Partitions

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by spaceman5, Mar 13, 2023.

1. spaceman5

tekkaman

I think I know what you meant. 4k has been used on hard drives about the same time achi became a thing. In around 2010 or something. Even before SSD became mainstream. The thing is, I don't think it is a thing for flashdrives and and sd cards. When you plug those the OS automatically knows they're not hard drives or SSD. So I don't know if they will make a 4k aligned partition for them. I never heard there was a need for 4k alignment for flash drives or sd cards. I think that 4k in combination with sata achi provided a slight speed boost. I could be wrong but that's how I see it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    tekkaman, Mar 20, 2023
  2. spaceman5

spaceman5

Well, the best way to find out is to simply try.

I will do a small test soon,
    both on a non 4k-Aligned, and on a 4k-Aligned,
    by writing a large file,
    and seeing if there's a difference in the duration it takes.

spaceman5, Mar 20, 2023
  3. spaceman5

tekkaman

But how do you check if they're 4k aligned ? I mean how do you even set them to be 4k aligned ?There was a free tool by acronis that checked that but it was only for hard drives or ssd. I remember it could be downloaded from Western Digital website.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    tekkaman, Mar 21, 2023
  4. spaceman5

spaceman5

I use "AS SSD Benchmark".
    Tho originally it's for checking Speed,
    it also tells you if the drive (any drive, not just SSD like in its name) is 4K Aligned.

Please note,
    it seems that AS SSD is no longer available for download from the original developer.,
    only from spooky sites,
    so don't download it,
    there should be alternatives to it..
    Maybe other people here can recommend

spaceman5, Mar 21, 2023
  5. spaceman5

tekkaman

tekkaman, Mar 22, 2023
  6. spaceman5

rereser

rereser, Mar 22, 2023
  7. spaceman5

tekkaman

Did you ever test?

tekkaman, Apr 4, 2023
  8. spaceman5

spaceman5

No, I don't have a free microSD card right now..

spaceman5, Apr 4, 2023
  9. spaceman5

cleverscreenname

Every single hard drive, flash drive, and SSD benefits from alignment. The LBA translation occurring from starting on sector 63 adds overhead to every read/write command on every controller inside every device. I've even noticed a reading speedup in my cars playing USB flash drives music. I use Ranish Partition Manager from Hiren's Boot CD on every storage device I've ever touched (MBR, but it's not GUID compatible). You can specify start and stop sectors for everything, plus view the current LBA translation (LBA 255 heads, Large 240 heads, or anything other value meaning the controller is probably doing a bad job, as in future partitioning headaches or outright data loss.) Ranish also has a large FAT32 format function up to 2TB, and a nifty multi-boot installer that resides entirely in the IPL Initial Program Loader (not needing it's own additional partition).

I always start partitions on sector 16,384 (32K aligned), that's overkill compared to Win7 starting on 2,048 sector (4k aligned). Plus that gives me a handy 8mb FAT16 partition before my OS partition that I use with the Ranish multi-boot to put DOS 7.1 on and tools like cd drivers, ntfs drivers, lfn drivers, text editors, rar.exe, and of course Ranish itself for future editing. Every Windows setup.exe will overwrite the multi-boot, and everytime I put it right back on.

Inside Windows, I also use AOMEI Partition Manager 8.1 Standard Edition (free). It shows you the starting sector of every partition so you can check for alignment.

cleverscreenname, Nov 26, 2023
Ask a Question