Is it true that my Windows XP cannot access the Internet by ANY means?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Walter Degler, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Walter Degler

Walter Degler

I've been told by someone at AT&T that it is impossible for my Windows XP to access the Internet by ANY means.

Is this true?

My Windows XP computer is a Compaq Presario 2100 (2175US) with AMD Athlon XP-M processor.

I have read that the processor does not support SSE2.

If the claim is true, what are the other Windows XP users on this forum using?

Can someone answer these questions so that I may not continue to pursue a lost cause?

Walter Degler

Walter Degler, Sep 9, 2021
  2. Walter Degler

XPAnarchy

I've never heard of an internet provider not supporting any OS.
    My IP is Centrylink and I've been using them for as long as I remember.

XPAnarchy, Sep 10, 2021
  3. Walter Degler

ClippyBeer

No need to cross-post or use bold type to get attention your question will not be answered faster this way. I already replied to you in another thread.

ClippyBeer, Sep 10, 2021
    Walt_XP likes this.
  4. Walter Degler

cornemuse

I imagine most folks here access the i-net with XP. After all, this is an XP forum. I do. Your joining & posting here, what are you using to access the net?

cornemuse, Sep 10, 2021
    Kmirkovski likes this.
  5. Walter Degler

XPAnarchy

They could be using a different computer with a different OS, or their phone maybe.

XPAnarchy, Sep 10, 2021
  6. Walter Degler

ClippyBeer

Yes he has other Windows 10 computers as he stated in this thread:

https://www.xpforums.com/threads/ho...access-my-at-t-router-from-windows-xp.934490/

I already replied with suggestions on which browsers to use that don't require SSE but he ignored my response. I also asked what kind of WIFI adapter he has because a search for his model laptop shows no built-in WIFI.

AT&T tech tell him his PC can't access the internet. Probably has no clue and just issues boilerplate response from a script. If he really wants to get on the internet with that PC the absolutely easiest way is to buy a USB WIFI - I have one that works perfectly with an old Compaq Presario V2000 with XP that was manufactured in the same era as his. Maybe he should give it up because he's not good at following instructions.

ClippyBeer, Sep 11, 2021
    Walt_XP and Kmirkovski like this.
  7. Walter Degler

Kmirkovski

It will work, I have never heard such a thing before. ISP providers can't IP "Ban" an OS it doesn't even make sense. Im writing this from a Compaq NX7010 [2004] net works flawlessly. U cant however connect to a 5Ghz network cuz its an older hardware so the SSID wont be recognized at all. 2.4 will do the job, whether u try to connect from a modem or a mobile device through Hotspot its always available to set it as a 2.4 Ghz network. If it doesn't recognize the network from neither device its an issue with the network card most probably. Just as @ClippyBeer mentioned above get a cheap Wifi Adapter it will do the job, drivers also come XP ready.

Try a LAN cable connection too and check it that way.

Can u be more precise, u have a technical issue with the laptop (cant connect to any network, wifi adapter doesn't work etc etc) or its just because u cant log in to a certain network?

Kmirkovski, Sep 18, 2021
  8. Walter Degler

Kmirkovski

Based answer :)

Kmirkovski, Sep 18, 2021
Ask a Question