How do I change WEP to WPA2 to access my AT&T router from Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by Walter Degler, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Walter Degler

Walter Degler

I need to access the Internet using my Windows XP with version 3 (i.e. KB4012583).
    WEP is the only option shown but I understand that the version 3 revision provides for WPA and WPA2.
    Trying to use WEP calls for a 40 bit network password which I don't know.

Two other working computers (Window 10s) on my network both work all right.

Can anyone ther provide the steps I need to log on to the Internet?

Walter Degler

Walter Degler, Sep 5, 2021
  2. Walter Degler

red Guest

if your wifi then you should just be able to connect to your network using your passwords that you already use to change from wep to wpa2 just open network settings on xp and change there
    will need to use my pal https://www.mypal-browser.org/ to use internet on xp now though as all the rest no longer support xp

long live xp:)

red, Sep 5, 2021
  3. Walter Degler

Walter Degler

Yes, I have WiFi for my Windows 10 computers which work all right. I cannot change to WPA2 because network settings have only the WEP option showing, I was not allowed to down the 32bit version of Mypal so I downloaded it on my older Windows 7 computer, copied it to a flash drive, moved the flash drive to the Windows XP computer and download it there. However it won't install. The error message says
    "Sorry. Mypal cannot be installed. This version of Mypal requires a processor with SSE2 support."

I STILL cannot get to the Internet with this Windows XP computer. Do you have any other suggestions?

Walter Degler, Sep 6, 2021
  4. Walter Degler

red Guest

have you connected on wep with xp ? and are you running xp sp3? with the last of the patches ? if not then get a new copy from internet archive or major geeks both will have the lastes versions with all the update installed on the disk and are free

came across this may be of help

1. Disable "Computer Browser" on the win10 computers. They don't need it. They use Network Discovery.
    2. Enable "Computer Browser" on the WinXP computers. They use it. They don't understand Network Discovery".
    3. Turn on "Network Discovery" on the Win10 computers.
    4. Enable "File and Printer Sharing" on all computers' network adapters.
    5. Enable "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" in the WINS tab of the Win10 computers' network adapters.
    This worked on both W10-1703 and W10-1709.
    See Microsoft Support article "SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server, version 1709"

can only use network as workgroup not a home network though

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2021
    red, Sep 7, 2021
  5. Walter Degler

ClippyBeer

Right-click on "My Computer" and select properties - this will show the current version/service pack (my XP machine)

[​IMG]

You haven't provided us any info on your router so we don't have much to go on - WEP is old and insecure so you should disable it on your router and only use WPA/WPA2 that way XP and any other wireless devices you own will connect with WPA/WPA2. My current router doesn't even have WEP as an optiion.

I wasn't even aware that you could choose WEP/WPA2 in Windows since I've always disabled WEP in any router I've owned so my Windows computers only connected with WPA2.

Here's some instructions for selecting between WEP or WPA/WPA2 in XP:

http://r1.umkc.edu/wireless/WindowsXPwpa.asp

Providing us with make/model of your router and your system specs would help us help you.

Here is Roytam's blog where he maintains updated browsers for XP:

https://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/browser

You want to download the third one from the top (32-bit no SSE) for your PC.

ClippyBeer, Sep 7, 2021
  6. Walter Degler

Walter Degler

My Windows XP laptop computer is

Compaq Presario 2100 (2175US) with AMD Athlon XP-M processor (SSE2 not supported).

My wireless router is

AT&T U-verse model 5268AC
    Wi-Fi Network name: ATT98bUT4v
    Device access code: 7<94129542
    Set for 100MHz
    The lights on are
    Power, Ethernet, W--Fi (blinking), Phone 1, Broadband 1, Service.

I know the Wi-Fi key for my 2 windows 10 computers using the same router.

I hope this will let you know what I need to do for my Windows XP computer to access the Internet. With a previous router,no longer available, it worked.

Thank you for your attention.

Walter Degler

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2021
    Walter Degler, Sep 8, 2021
  7. Walter Degler

ClippyBeer

Well there's your problem.

http://www.computer-specifications.com/specifications/Compaq-Presario2175us-Specs.html

Your laptop doesn't have WIFI. (I tried searching HP's website which aquired Compaq but got no results when I typed in your model laptop)

Your current router (thankfully) doesn't even support WEP.

https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1046181/

It looks like the settings you were trying to change were for your ethernet, not WIFI - this would explain why your newer devices can connect but your old laptop can't - no WIFI.

[​IMG]

You will need to purchase a USB WIFI adapter with XP drivers. Here's what I use on my Compaq Presario V2000 laptop:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=realtek+8811&_sacat=0

It has drivers for XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 & 10 as well as Linux - I have personally tested it in XP, 7 and 10, works perfectly.

This laptop has built-in WIFI but the adapter allows me to connect to the 5 GHz band.

You can also try this one recommended by another user on this forum:

https://www.xpforums.com/threads/is...a-dell-inspiron-15r-5537.934142/#post-3265070

These are probably the best options since your current router supports 802.11ac 5 GHz (WIFI-5).

I don't know how you were able to connect with your old router unless it was ethernet or you have a WIFI PCMCIA card in that laptop you didn't tell us about.

A screenshot of device manager with the Network adapters branch expanded will provide more insight.

[​IMG]

ClippyBeer, Sep 9, 2021
  8. Walter Degler

Emili0

Another way to connect with ethernet in your laptop is using an AP (Access point) configured as "client mode".

In this way de AP connected to wifi network and give you ethernet to your laptop.

Emili0, Sep 24, 2021
  9. Walter Degler

Walter Degler

Thank you for your response. I can access my router now with Ethernet. I have have found, and been told, that there is no way for my Windows XP to access the Internet. The closest I got was to almost get to the home page (only its top half showed up) but only one other web site came up ( a very basic one) but no other websites could be accessed. I think the IBM guy (or was it an AT&T guy) was right: My Windows XP is no longer useful for Internet use. It is a mystery to me that there is an XP forum for people who apparently use the Internet.

Walter Degler, Sep 25, 2021
  10. Walter Degler

Emili0

Read this post, may be you can have some help about your problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsxp/comments/jz2rzu/cant_install_any_browser_due_to_sse2_issue/

Emili0, Sep 25, 2021
  11. Walter Degler

ClippyBeer

The only mystery is why you ignore replies for more information about your system. This is a forum for XP users, not a psychic mind readers forum. We could probably help you get your XP system online despite what AT&T tech support said. All the members here are online with XP and even post here using XP.

[​IMG]

Help us help you.

ClippyBeer, Sep 25, 2021
  12. Walter Degler

Walter Degler

Your first sentence does not apply to me as I have responded to the replies and pursued all suggestions. Your second sentence in merely sarcastic. I repeat the following about my system:
    My Windows XP laptop computer is

Compaq Presario 2100 (2175US) with AMD Athlon XP-M processor (SSE2 not supported).

My wireless router is

AT&T U-verse model 5268AC
    Wi-Fi Network name: ATT98bUT4v
    Device access code: 7<94129542
    Set for 100MHz
    The lights on are
    Power, Ethernet, W--Fi (blinking), Phone 1, Broadband 1, Service.

I know the Wi-Fi key for my 2 windows 10 computers using the same router.

I hope this will let you know what I need to do for my Windows XP computer to access the Internet. With a previous router,no longer available, it worked.

I have been unsuccessful in installing the (reportedly non-SSE2) browsers, namely Firefox S2.9.0 and Avast Secure. I do have Windows Explorer 8, however.

Walter Degler

[email protected]

Walter Degler, Sep 25, 2021
  13. Walter Degler

red Guest

hi
    try my pal browser for your xp this is by far the best xp sp3
    long live xp :)

red, Sep 25, 2021
  14. Walter Degler

red Guest

32bit SSE version of New Moon 27 found this on other web site may make your life a little easier

red, Sep 26, 2021
  15. Walter Degler

ClippyBeer

[
    No, you haven't.
    https://www.xpforums.com/threads/ho...t-router-from-windows-xp.934490/#post-3267519
    I asked for a screenshot of device manager so we could see what type of WIFI adapter you have to see if it's compatible with your current router.

I also replied with which browser you can use that doesn't require SSE.
    https://www.xpforums.com/threads/ho...t-router-from-windows-xp.934490/#post-3267508

Exactly as it was meant to be

ClippyBeer, Sep 26, 2021
Ask a Question