Installing unsigned add-on to Firefox 52.9.0

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by snoopx, Jul 22, 2020.

1. snoopx

snoopx

snoopx, Jul 22, 2020
  2. snoopx

cornemuse

It can be installed but, the jerks at firefox claim its not verified or some such reason. One of the settings in "about:config" or maybe more need changing. Careful there.

Try this, , ,

cornemuse, Jul 23, 2020
    snoopx likes this.
  3. snoopx

we3fan

Hi, welcome to the forum.
    about:config in address bar, xpinstall.signatures.required = false

we3fan, Jul 23, 2020
    snoopx and Elizabeth23 like this.
  4. snoopx

snoopx

Thanks all.
    Tried the above suggestions. They work, but unfortunately only last for one Firefox session. Unless I did something wrong, every time you restart Firefox, the unsigned .xpi file is disabled and you have to go through the same procedure of:
    about:debugging>‘Load Temporary add-on’ option and reselect the XPI file for the add-on.
    I tried about:config>xpinstall.signatures.required>Toggle value to "false" but it had no effect.
    Apparently after Firefox 48, the developers removed this hack allowing installation of unsigned add-ons.
    Anyway, am glad to have found a forum still promoting Win XP/SP3.
    I am currently running it on an Intel Quad core Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz / Asus P5B with 8GB RAM, although since it's the 32bit version, I'm only seeing 2.93GB.
    Saw a PAE hack on this forum to allow it to see the full 8GB, so will give it a go to see if I can get it to work.
    https://www.xpforums.com/threads/guide-to-enable-windows-xp-to-use-more-than-3-25gb-ram.932418/

PS. does anyone know, of the 2 links below, which is the best, most up-to-date version of ublock to install? They are both for ublock, but the release dates and versions numbers are confusing, with the higher version number having apparently the earlier release date.
    https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/releases/tag/1.17.4 (1 Dec 2018)
    https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-firefox-legacy/releases/tag/firefox-legacy-1.16.4.18 (17 Feb 2020)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    snoopx, Jul 24, 2020
    Connor McMahon likes this.
  5. snoopx

snoopx

Hi,
    To revivie this thread, I'm currently using Firefox 52.9.0 esr on Win XP/SP3 and was trying to download the last offical signed version of ublock origin that works on this.
    Looking on Google didn't turn up anything. There were some old versions, but they didn't go back far enough.
    Bit of a long shot, but is anyone running an old official signed version of ublock origin they could copy the .xpi file for from their Firefox extensions folder and upload it somewhere for download?

snoopx, Aug 17, 2020
  6. snoopx

ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer, Aug 18, 2020
    snoopx likes this.
  7. snoopx

trimis

I have Firefox 52.4.0 ESR and uBlock Origin 1.16.4.23 which I forced to install. Mozilla Mothership has the whine tag 'uBlock Origin could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed with caution'. It took a lot of fiddling with 'about:config'. Not sure exactly sure what I did, but can sorta direct you to where I found the answer. Awhile back I mentioned at this forum finding a few sites that listed 'about:config' tweaks, but didn't list the URLs. Elizabeth23 asked for them, which I then provided...maybe she recalls where that post is, and I believe she mentioned knowing other such sites. The answer is there.

trimis, Aug 19, 2020
  8. snoopx

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Aug 20, 2020
  9. snoopx

snoopx

Finally found a link using the Wayback Machine to an old, genuine, signed version of Ublock Origin that works on Firefox 52.9.0:
    Ublock Origin 1.14.22 ("Released Dec. 14, 2017 - Works with Firefox for Android 52.0 and later, Firefox 52.0 and later")
    Downloaded from
    https://web.archive.org/web/2017122...g/en-GB/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/versions/
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/812203/ublock_origin-1.14.22-an+fx.xpi
    Tried it on a wepage with loads of ads. Blocked 95% of them out of the box, was able to block the remaining by R-clicking>Block.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
    snoopx, Aug 31, 2020
    we3fan likes this.
Ask a Question