IE6 stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Ivan8ias, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Ivan8ias

Ivan8ias

I am running Windows XP Pro 32-bit (sp3).I can get Internet Explored 6 to load but it cannot access any websites. Firefox works fine. I have no way to repair IE or reinstall it, because I can't find my original Windows XP Pro CD. Is there anything I can do? I downloaded a Windows Repair program from Tweaking.com. I created a restore point and ran the program. It repaired the Registry and took over an hour. That didn't help. The computer works fine, but I noticed that the software for my UPS from APC, PowerChute Personal Edition 2.0, doesn't automatically load in the system tray on bootup anymore. I don't know where the disk is, so I tried to get the software download from APC and reinstall it, but they don't have any software downloads available. Of course, I know that I can add it to Startup, but I would prefer having it load on bootup to the system tray. Is there any way that I can make this happen?

Thank you for your help.

Ivan8ias, Jul 19, 2017
  2. Ivan8ias

Elizabeth23

http://lifehacker.com/5829375/how-to-start-a-program-automatically-when-your-computer-boots

instructions

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=D7389B68B3A275AD!834&cid=D7389B68B3A275AD

above is my onedrive for public files, go there and download IE8-windowsxp-x86-enu, 16.1 MB, ie6 is very, very outdated, so is IE8 but it is needed for some websites, so update it, and also check your version of windows installer, go to start>run> type in msiexec.exe and click ok, it will pop up with a dialog box with your version of the installer if it is not 4.5, then download the file from the same place as the IE8 and install. you can also download the ie8 updates if you like, I always install all of the above offline.

Elizabeth23, Jul 19, 2017
  3. Ivan8ias

Ivan8ias

ELizabeth, thank you for your reply. I will look into the IE problem, however I know how to add programs to the Start folder, but I want to make it startup in the right hand system tray, along with the other programs that load on bootup. I have certain programs that I start automatically in the Start folder already, but they appear in the task bar located in the bottom middle of the running programs bar.

Ivan

Ivan8ias, Jul 20, 2017
  4. Ivan8ias

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jul 20, 2017
  5. Ivan8ias

Ivan8ias

Ivan8ias, Jul 22, 2017
  6. Ivan8ias

Ivan8ias

Thank you for your help, but nothing that you have suggested helped with my missing system tray icon on startup. I haven't yet tried anything to do with IE 6.

Ivan8ias, Jul 22, 2017
  7. Ivan8ias

Elizabeth23

some programs give you the option to have an icon in the system tray, is the program working in every other way, except the missing icon?? you can open the program and minimize it to the task bar, but I am not sure what else you can do , if it is in the start folder then it loads at bootup,! does it have a service listed in services and is this set to automatic? is the ssdp service disabled? is upnp disabled? How much free space do you have on the drive?? open MSCONFIG and check to see if your program has a checkmark in the box under the startup tab. Is your pc defragged? have you run checkdisk with the /r parameter?? have you tried this with your antivirus off?? (disconnect from the internet until you turn it back on).

let me know the results from each above step and answer any questions, please.

Elizabeth23, Jul 22, 2017
  8. Ivan8ias

Ivan8ias

Hi Elizabeth,

I just now got the chance to run MSCONFIG. In the rather long list of startup programs (most of which belong to the motherboard processes) I found the APC software, but it must come from the startup menu because its path was just startup, along with another program that I have in the startup menu. The program doesn't give an option to run in the system tray. It just did that when I installed it. All the other icons appear in the task tray, except for the APC PowerChute one anymore. The program runs fine otherwise.

I recently ran chkdsk with the /r and /f parameters, and came up with no errors. I also defraged the drive. I have plenty of space on the drive as well. I disabled Avira AntiVirus and I disabled the ssdp service as well as upnp, rebooted and still no icon. I put the settings back, so for now I have the program added to my start menu.

This anomaly must have occurred after I ran a recommended Windows Repair program from tweaking. com. Of course I created a restore point before I ran it (it took over an hour to complete), but I see an overall improvement, namely I now consistently get just one Internet/LAN connection, whereas before half the time Network Connections showed two separate connections at different speeds, so I don't want to go back to restore. I looked at the APC website in the hopes of reinstalling it, but they don't offer any kind of software downloads. I will try contacting them Monday.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by a service listed in services set to automatic?

I hope that I have answered all of your questions that you were kind enough to ask. Thank you for all your help.

Ivan

Ivan8ias, Jul 23, 2017
  9. Ivan8ias

Elizabeth23

a repair program will sometimes not mess with your data and/or programs, but when I did a repair one time even though it was an sp3 slipstreamed install cd, I still had to go through almost all of my updates and some programs had to be reinstalled, !, system restore is basically for 3 of the registry hives, it will do nothing with programs or data so if you restored your registry to a point the apc program was not working it will still be not working.

You should use ERUNT to backup your registry , it does all hives and if you choose other users as well and if you check the box it will create a backup of the registry at each reboot and save them to a folder in windows . much less space used than system restore. :)

I would uninstall the network connections driver, reboot and then reinstall your ethernet driver, and look in device manager to see if there are any extraneous drivers that you do not need, (old uninstalled drivers) look in the view tab and choose show hidden drivers, as there should only be one network connections, and it might be because your repair program tried to reinstall the driver or some such as that.

when you open services.msc from the start/run or from administrative tools every service has the option to disable/manual/automatic and in the status column it will say if it is started or not, if it is listed as started and automatic it will come up at boot and will be running (or you will get a message that the program will start if there is some work for it to do.

Elizabeth23, Jul 23, 2017
  10. Ivan8ias

Elizabeth23

11. Ivan8ias

Ivan8ias

Thank you for the url for PowerChute! I will try and download it as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, the anomaly with the Network Connections has been happening way before all this. Now it is correct. Do you think that I might have inadvertently changed anything using that Windows Repair program to affect my sp3 update? The program ran in DOS. I hope not. Is there any way to tell? Everything is working fine. I will look into services. msg also. Thank you.

Ivan8ias, Jul 23, 2017
  12. Ivan8ias

Ivan8ias

I have another question please:

I have a Verizon Quantum FiOS Gigabit Internet connection. My Toshiba laptop's Internet speeds exceed 900Mb/s. Here's my question: I got the old tower computer I built years ago networked directly to the router by Ethernet CAT5e cable, yet I can only approach 100Mb/s with the overhead. It has an AMD Athelon 64 3000+ processor running at 1.81 GHz with 2GB of RAM The OS is Windows XP Pro 32-bit (sp3) Version 2002 and the motherboard is an ABIT FATAL1TYAN8 with Nvidia onboard networking. I disabled it in the BIOS and got a TP-LINK TG-3269 Gigabit PCI network adapter and adjusted the properties in Device Manager for 1000Mb/s, yet I am still limited to 100Mb/s. Is it possible that this computer just can't handle Gigabit speeds? Any advice would be most appreciated. :)

Ivan8ias, Jul 23, 2017
  13. Ivan8ias

Elizabeth23

I cannot help with that as it is too technical for me, :)
    it could possibly be that it can not handle technical speeds, you might want to pm either Mike walsh or cornemuse or a couple of the others who have technical knowhow.

read through a few threads and you will find some of the ones who might answer that question. :)

14. Ivan8ias

Ivan8ias

I just now got to my XP computer and I opened services.msc. APC was listed as automatic, but I believe that's because it was in the start menu. I went to the APC url (how did you find that????) and downloaded the PowerChute program. I closed my APC program and removed it from the start menu, then I uninstalled my copy and reinstalled the fresh copy. The icon now appears in the task tray. I can't thank you enough for finding that program for me!!!

I will tackle the IE6 problem at a latter time because I use Firefox. I resurrected this machine which hasn't been in use for years, to run as a dedicated computer for my home automation program, running 24/7. I have installed extra cooling fans. My REALLY old machine which ran this program did so faithfully 24/7 for 14 years, but the hard drive finally gave out so I am now using this machine. The home automation program is the updated HomeSeer HS3 and gives me the ability to remotely control devices in my home through the Internet from anywhere, using my smartphone, as well as run events and scripts.

Thank you so much Elizabeth for your perseverance and patience.

Ivan

Ivan8ias, Jul 24, 2017
  15. Ivan8ias

Elizabeth23

you are welcome, :) there is not much you cannot find searching around on the internet, :)

Elizabeth23, Jul 24, 2017
  16. Ivan8ias

Ivan8ias

Hi Elizabeth23, it's been a while since I have posted on the XP forum. I have had problems with my Windows7 laptop and the Windows10 laptop. That's all finally fixed now. I would like to try to get IE working. I will go to your OneDrive url to proceed. Before I start working on it, is there any chance that I could possibly corrupt my XP Pro 32 bit sp3 installation by installing IE8? I don't know where my program disk is, and I'm afraid that I might need it. I'm not sure if I even have the sp3 updates. Please tell me how to backup my system. I know creating a restore point in Windows only backs up the Registry. Could you please recommend a safe and sure program that will backup everything? I have plenty of room on c: drive, plus I have two other hard drives (one's a terabyte drive).

I will wait for your reply before I do anything. I don't know if the risks outweigh the benefits of having a functional IE. I rarely use it, and everything else is now working perfectly. I depend on this dedicated computer to run my home automation system. I am using Firefox. I would like to know what you think. I value your opinion.

Ivan

Ivan8ias, Aug 16, 2017
  17. Ivan8ias

Elizabeth23

it is always possible, but the rules I follow are to download all files to the desktop and run scans on them with my antivirus and malwarebytes free. and then install them.

the ie8 on my onedrive is microsoft's own download that is not available from the download center but you can still get it at the microsoft update catalog, just have to do some sifting to find it, ie8 is 16.1 mb download. I have about 11 updates in the same folder on my one drive, I generally install ie8, reboot and then install all the updates and then reboot again, rather than after each update. :)

when I reinstall, I do ie8 then the updates and then portable updates, to get as many updates in as I can before I let MU scan for updates, and after portable updates, I install my antivirus offline along with the offline database and then run a quick scan, and then go to microsoft updates and run a custom scan, :)

you should not normally have any problems :)

Elizabeth23, Aug 16, 2017
  18. Ivan8ias

Ivan8ias

Hi Elizabeth23,

I visited your Onedrive site on my smartphone, and it looks awesome! You did so much work to provide us with useful downloads. I found this site to download their free backup software (boy, do they try to trick you into buying their software, had to do a lot of navigating) :) I successfully backed up my entire drive c: to my Terabyte drive e:, which had 900GB free space. Seemed to go well, automatically choosing my e: drive for the backup.

http://www.todo-backup.com/backup-resource/free-backup-software-for-xp.htm

I will download from your site later tonight, IE8 and all updates, first checking if I have the installer version 4.5 you require. Should I disable my Avast antivirus before I install IE8 and updates?
    After installing IE8, if all goes well, how do I go about installing the updates? I assume I start from the earliest to the latest, but how do I do it?

Thank you,
    Ivan

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Ivan8ias, Aug 17, 2017
  19. Ivan8ias

Elizabeth23

you do not have to disable your antivirus, and I just install one update at a time, tedious but there are only 11 or so, some people know how to make a batch file to install all at the same time but I do not know how to do that, :) does not matter what order you install just install ie8 first and when the ie8 installer starts, remove the checkmark that says install updates or it will try to connect to internet to look for updates and it will take forever and not do anything. the 4.5 installer is the last updated installer for xp. and you should have it.

to install just double click on each one and follow the prompts, :)

Elizabeth23, Aug 17, 2017
  20. Ivan8ias

Ivan8ias

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am on my smartphone now. I assume that the IE8 is an exe file? Are all the updates in one folder, or are they in the individual folders I saw? Remember, I have only been to your site on my phone. Sorry to bother you, but I'll bet when I get to the computer later tonight, it'll be obvious. Just asking in advance, before you go to bed tonight. :) Thank you again.

Ivan8ias, Aug 17, 2017
Ask a Question