I want my old computer back, how do I rebuild or buy new xp?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by Kwolb77, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Kwolb77

MisterEd

I bought my 990FX back in 2011 so no M.2 SSD but at least a 2.5-inch SATA SSD works well with it.

I have a question about you using an SSD with Windows XP. Since it doesn't support TRIM can I assume you have done the following:
    • Disabled defrag
    • Have a TRIM and SSD optimizer program
    BTW, I didn't use my computer with 990FX chipset much anymore because it was so slow compared to my computer with a Ryzen CPU. It has Windows 10 but was slow to boot and was sluggish in response. What really made a difference was replacing the 1TB boot 3.5" SATA HDD with a 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD. It was a lot faster booting as expected but what really shocked me it was also a lot more responsive using the keyboard and mouse at the desktop.

Reading your success if I find time I might try Windows XP on my 990FX chipset system just to see what it can do. I just have to be careful because other drives have Windows 7 and Windows 10 on them. From past experience I have found that Windows XP does not play well with Windows 7 and Windows 10 so I have to be careful it doesn't mess with the drives they are on.

MisterEd, Mar 23, 2022
  2. Kwolb77

Aswego

I have disabled Defrag, well disabled auto Defrag anyway. Not sure if it can be completely disabled.
    Not worried about trim.

Aswego, Mar 23, 2022
  3. Kwolb77

Kithylin

I didn't do any of that. I just bought a random 128GB Samsung SATA SSD off ebay. I installed it in the system, installed XP on it and went to use it. I have been re-using it in multiple WinXP systems for several years now. I've even run Defrag on it a few times (I know everyone says you're not supposed to on SSD's). It's never effected the SSD or it's health. I looked in samsung magician and it says the 128GB drive is still at 89% health with no defects listed. There's nothing special to do to it. I did not use a TRIM or SSD optimizer program either. I've never seen any need to do that. I do have full system images of that system's SSD drive saved to my file server with Macrium Backup however. The 128GB SSD was about $30 on ebay. I'm really not concerned. If it does die I'll just grab another one, write out the image to it, stick it in the system and go back to normal usage.

Kithylin, Mar 23, 2022
    cleverscreenname likes this.
  4. Kwolb77

Hunter2022

Can still build a new Windows XP PC. Not all is lost. You just need the motherboard and a few components. Search LG1155 motherboard on eBay. That's the latest one to fully support XP.

Hunter2022, Apr 7, 2022
Ask a Question