How Remove Remaining Linux Partition Table Info After DBAN so Can Format?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by KenO, Jan 24, 2018.

1. KenO

KenO

Hi,

Tried to use one of my Linux HDDs to Install WindowsXP.

1st used DBAN which listed the Linux partitions and used Zeros to wipe the HDD successfully.

Then used my WinXP Install CD setup to format (Full) and it successfully went to 100% but after a short time got message "Setup was unable to format the disk may be damaged" I know the HDD is Not damaged so checked DBAN and partition info is still there. Am guessing what ever is there is causing problems with WinXP setup format from successfully working.

Did a forum search and while did Not find anything similar did find a post by Jojo "Many OSs will over write parts of the rival setup. Linux is especially bad for this. It uses a different format from Windows."

Appreciate any suggestions

Ken

KenO, Jan 24, 2018
  2. KenO

Elizabeth23

use the recovery console to run fixmbr and then fixboot, this will fix the boot problem caused by a linux installation

you can use the recovery console of your install cd, by choosing R at the setup screen.

Elizabeth23, Jan 24, 2018
  3. KenO

KenO

Elizabeth23,

Thanks for the tip!

Did as you instructed and everything worked! Was able to complete the WinXP Setup Format.

Decided to run DBAN to see if any change in partition listing. Still there so Fixmbr and Fixboot did not eliminate all old Linux partition info.

KenO, Jan 26, 2018
  4. KenO

Elizabeth23

not sure what you mean, DBAN will wipe entire drive, recovery console will fix boot partition, then look at disk management to see what partitions are on drive, not sure why you would need to run dban again to see this

Elizabeth23, Jan 26, 2018
  5. KenO

KenO

"not sure what you mean, DBAN will wipe entire drive, recovery console will fix boot partition, then look at disk management to see what partitions are on drive, not sure why you would need to run dban again to see this"

Sorry about the confusion. I should have said something like booted DBAN to Home Screen and noticed that the Linux partitions were still listed so while fixmbr and fixboot worked and allowed WinXP Setup to complete the HDD Format successfully, there is still some Linux partition info (did not see a difference in before and after DBAN screen info) I did Not actually run DBAN again.

Thanks again for your help!

PS am wondering if the HDD mfrs have utils that will return the HDD back to its original MBR etc info?

KenO, Jan 26, 2018
  6. KenO

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jan 26, 2018
  7. KenO

KenO

"it appears that maybe dban might select a partition instead of the whole drive, now when the boot menu for dban came up did you select autonuke??" So there is not any confusion, I took screen shots of process. Brief summary I do Not use autonuke but manually select write Zeros since both sections were marked think whole HDD was erased.

Attached Files:

KenO, Jan 29, 2018
  8. KenO

KenO

After posted "Did as you instructed and everything worked! Was able to complete the WinXP Setup Format.Decided to run DBAN to see if any change in partition listing. Still there so Fixmbr and Fixboot did not eliminate all old Linux partition info."

Decided to run chkdsk and got "file record segment 60 to 156 and 3264 is unreadable" "Index verification completed" and last "An unspecified error occured" "check disk done"

Hope someone can explain this in "Plain English"

Thanks

Ken

KenO, Jan 29, 2018
  9. KenO

Elizabeth23

yes, I only run autonuke which wipes the entire drive, (3 passes)

chkdsk, did you run checkdisk with the /r parameter? and if so are there any kb in bad sectors?

if you chose to format ntfs when you do an xp install and DO NOT choose quick format, then setup will run checkdisk as it formats and you will not have to worry about bad sectors as they will have been marked and skipped, but if you have installed already and there are kb's in bad sectors, then it means that the drive might fail soon, you can never know, I have been lucky, I have been using the same drive for at least 10 years, before each reinstall, I wipe with dban, autonuke, and do a full ntfs format when installing.

====================

https://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/file-record-segment-is-unreadable

read the above for more clarification on chkdsk error and you can also read more from this search page

Elizabeth23, Jan 29, 2018
  10. KenO

KenO

"chkdsk, did you run checkdisk with the /r parameter? and if so are there any kb in bad sectors?"

No I ran it with /f

Do you know any good beginners user guide, manual or tutorials for CHKDSK?

Thanks again for all your help!

KenO, Jan 30, 2018
  11. KenO

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jan 30, 2018
  12. KenO

KenO

KenO, Feb 1, 2018
  13. KenO

KenO

After my "Decided to run chkdsk and got "file record segment 60 to 156 and 3264 is unreadable" "Index verification completed" and last "An unspecified error occured" "check disk done"" post I decided to start reading about MBR & Partition Table Editors. Have never done anything like this and it is too late to save a "Good" no partition info of this HDD, so then decided to check if Seagate had any software that could return the HDD to factory settings.

Started with Seagate Barracuda wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seagate_Barracuda

An unexpected finding was Firmware bugs for my Barracuda 7200.11

Then checked Firmware Updates for Seagate Products using DownLoad Finder and yes there was a firmware update for my HDD Barracuda 7200.11 (Firmware Update Important SD1A 11-Mar-11 Barracuda 7200.11 firmware update More...).

Downloaded the Firmware Update but will wait until weekend to run because WinXP Setup Format took 26 hr 30 min to reach 100% for this 500 GB HDD.

Am very interested if anyone knows a faster way to do this? But do want to do a Full CHKDSK scan and fix.

Ken

KenO, Feb 1, 2018
  14. KenO

Elizabeth23

the /r parameter needs to be run to correct drive problems, the /f just reads the problems.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/80478-tech-myth-2-quick-format-vs-full-format

read the above article, I have only a 40gb drive and I always run the full format and the checkdisk with the /r parameter. 20 minutes. :) so extrapolate from that I would think something was wrong after approx 5 hours

If the XP you're initially installing is starting out at least at SP1 level, then it should work immediately and see the entire drive. If the XP is the original release with no service packs (sometimes called XP Gold) then the smaller limitation will apply unless you make a slipstream disc incorporating the service pack.

read the above taken from HERE, what service pack is on your install media?

Elizabeth23, Feb 1, 2018
  15. KenO

KenO

Your link to Tech Myth #2 Quick Format vs. Full Format https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/80478-tech-myth-2-quick-format-vs-full-format was excellent! I will run chkdsk /r after I do the firmware upgrade.

"I have only a 40gb drive and I always run the full format and the checkdisk with the /r parameter. 20 minutes." Agree! Hope the long time for the 500GB HDD was due to the firmware problem.

Since my last post I started CHKDSK Tips? https://www.xpforums.com/threads/chkdsk-tips.933379/ and would be interested in your comments concerning Tutorial: Repair disk errors - PROPER use of chkdsk

Thanks again for your help!

KenO, Feb 2, 2018
  16. KenO

Elizabeth23

not sure if the tutorial will work for xp, nor do I want to test it, but if you choose to test it, post your results, :)

Elizabeth23, Feb 2, 2018
  17. KenO

KenO

Elizabeth23,

"I have only a 40gb drive and I always run the full format and the checkdisk with the /r parameter. 20 minutes."

Decided to check your results. I used a 40GB Seagate HDD on a HP P4 PC with 512MB RAM. 1st went through chkdsk scan, then f and last r and there were No errors on each. Reran r and it took 39 minutes.

KenO, Feb 7, 2018
  18. KenO

Elizabeth23

possibly due to the low ram, I have 2gb ram so that might be why mine ran faster, or could be because I always defragged first before running a scan. :)

Elizabeth23, Feb 7, 2018
Ask a Question