How can I slipstream Dell Chipset Driver?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by PJAmerica, Mar 5, 2015.

1. PJAmerica

PJAmerica

It doesn't have an inf file so I cannot do it with nlite at all. I would like to just have it done on installation like all my other drivers. I am just baffled at this point as to how to achieve this. Everywhere I go I end up with no answers. I hope maybe someone here can help.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    PJAmerica, Mar 5, 2015
  2. PJAmerica

Elizabeth23

unless you have a way to also insure that once slipstreamed with nlite, the drivers are installed in a certain order as required by dell.??

Elizabeth23, Mar 6, 2015
  3. PJAmerica

PJAmerica

Of course. They install in the order they are added. So any help?

PJAmerica, Mar 6, 2015
  4. PJAmerica

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Mar 6, 2015
  5. PJAmerica

PJAmerica

sorry. R58201_ZPE from dell downlad or the R58201 from resource cd does not have an inf file when Extracted or installed. So not possible. Mind sharing your EXE file with me so I can see?

PJAmerica, Mar 6, 2015
  6. PJAmerica

Elizabeth23

read through the readme.txt, there are some info on the .inf file, and how to extract it, I was wrong, I have a .ini file not a .inf. sorry. will see if I can get the .inf, I am not sure how to get it installed as the readme file talks about command line flags, all I have ever done was double click to install.

also one reason why I have not slipstreamed my drivers, :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 6, 2015
  7. PJAmerica

PJAmerica

Trust me, I have been down that road. Running commands is all foreign to me. Always failed at it. I really need to integrate this chipset though. I looked at the read me many times. I can't make heads or tails of it.

PJAmerica, Mar 6, 2015
  8. PJAmerica

Elizabeth23

okay, I looked in my .inf file, (hidden C:\WINDOWS\inf ) and looking at 865.inf says it is for chipset, why it is here and not in the chipset file I do not know, but I also do not know if this is the correct inf file, there are lots of files in this folder and I do not want to read each one to find out which is the inf for dells 52801.exe, but I will see if I can find a definitive .inf file. May not be until tomorrow.

Elizabeth23, Mar 6, 2015
  9. PJAmerica

Elizabeth23

hey, just found this thread here, you might try this extractor mentioned here

Elizabeth23, Mar 6, 2015
  10. PJAmerica

PJAmerica

No hurry. I have waited ages. No point in being in a hurry now. Thanks Elizabeth23. I knew you would help if it were at all possible. You are always friendly and helpful as well.

PJAmerica, Mar 6, 2015
  11. PJAmerica

Elizabeth23

http://www.sbbala.com/DellWWAN/Dell5530.htm

if you can follow the steps above you will get the file, I have downloaded 7zzip, winrar and universal extractor and tried command prompt, Since it is an intel driver which dell made proprietary fix to, it is a lot of work to try to extract the inf file.

I gave up long ago when I first made a install cd with nlite. and now I remember why I gave up.

I keep my drivers on a cd, and just install them in order once my install is complete. Takes a few minutes and I am done.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/134913-howto-get-your-inf-and-driver-files-from-an-exe/

the nlite tutorial above is just as mind boggling.

==============

I give up. Sorry, but I could not find an easy way to get the inf. it can be done, but will require work. I am too lazy. :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 6, 2015
  12. PJAmerica

Elizabeth23

HEY!!!!

I gave up too soon!

I downloaded zipscan:

http://www.zipscan.co.uk/

it required two dll's to be placed in the program folder (located in program files)

I have uploaded both to my one drive:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=d7389b68b3a275ad

they are ZD50149.dll and ZD51145.dll

zipscan needed both of these to work but then it was able to extract all files, and also extract the cabinet file which is where the inf. were.

beware there are a lot of .inf files here so you will have to choose or point nlite to the folder where you extracted the files.

Elizabeth23, Mar 6, 2015
  13. PJAmerica

PJAmerica

what I need is in data1.cab but I have no clue what to choose.

PJAmerica, Mar 6, 2015
  14. PJAmerica

Elizabeth23

I extracted the data 1 cab, when you have the extracted inf files in a folder then you can point nlite to that folder. I believe that nlite will use all the inf files.

you can also google each inf for a more detailed description. It is not something I want to do as that is a lot of files to search.

Elizabeth23, Mar 6, 2015
  15. PJAmerica

PJAmerica

No worries. I didn't expect you to. Thanks for your help.

PJAmerica, Mar 7, 2015
  16. PJAmerica

Elizabeth23

you are welcome, I will still load my drivers separately, lot less trouble, let me know how it works out with nlite.

Elizabeth23, Mar 7, 2015
  17. PJAmerica

PJAmerica

I can't be sure what to add as driver so I won't attempt it anytime soon. Now I know though how to extract it. Thanks to you and you alone. No one else even truly bothered to get in depth and help. So pat on the back to you Liz. :)

Ps. I am wondering what to do for my clean install this time around. I wipe the drive and al of that but I hate these Update Packs honestly. What is your process if you would not mind sharing since we use the same PC.

PJAmerica, Mar 7, 2015
  18. PJAmerica

Elizabeth23

If I could afford it I would get acronis true image and create an image of my pc, but since I can't and my drive does not come with free acronis.

I like to update offline with wsus or autopatcher, if you use wsus, you have to get version 9.2 as that is the last version that handles xp.

I have my oem cd slipstreamed with sp3, and a few items removed with nlite.

after xp install (i wipe with dban and then do a full format) I install my dss, chipset, video, and audio. I do not install internet until I have finished updating and have installed an antivirus offline. I also install ccleaner and defraggler from piriform offline.
    that way I can defrag pc before going online to microsoft updates to see if any optional updates or critical updates are available, as some wga updates will not be downloaded by wsus or autopatcher.

Right now my antivirus is 360 Internet by qihoo, and there is a offline database I can download, of course once I go online it will update itself to the latest virus database.

I have been fluctuating between panda, avast, and 360. and I keep coming back to 360. panda hogs resources and avast is supposedly dropping xp support soon.

It generally takes by 10 to 12 hours, as after I am fully updated, I tweak xp registry to set xp just how I like it.
    ====

that's it for how I do a clean install. if you have any other questions let me know.

Elizabeth23, Mar 7, 2015
  19. PJAmerica

PJAmerica

I do the same thing mostly. I remove a few things in nlite myself. I used wsus for sometime but just didn't care for it in the end. I use this now: http://www.syssel.net/hoefs/software_pack.php?lang=en

My DSS file is corrupted on my resource cd and I can't find it on Dell at all. Would you mind sharing your set of drivers with me? Other than that I do much of the same thing.

PJAmerica, Mar 7, 2015
  20. PJAmerica

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Mar 7, 2015
Ask a Question