How can I slipstream Dell Chipset Driver?

It doesn't have an inf file so I cannot do it with nlite at all. I would like to just have it done on installation like all my other drivers. I am just baffled at this point as to how to achieve this. Everywhere I go I end up with no answers. I hope maybe someone here can help.

Operating System
Windows XP Home Edition 32-bit SP3
CPU
Intel Pentium 4
Prescott 90nm Technology
RAM
2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR @ 166MHz (2.5-3-3-7)
Motherboard
Dell Computer Corp. 0N6381 (Microprocessor)
Graphics
Acer V173 (1280x1024@60Hz)
Intel 82865G Graphics Controller (Dell)
512MB NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (EVGA) 124 °F
Storage
232GB Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-57REA0 (ATA) 85 °F
149GB Western Digital WDC WD1600AAJB-00J3A0 (ATA) 96 °F
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A
Audio
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

Motherboard
Manufacturer Dell Computer Corp.
Model 0N6381 (Microprocessor)
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model i865P/PE/G/i848P
Chipset Revision A2
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801EB (ICH5)
Southbridge Revision 02

Last edited:
unless you have a way to also insure that once slipstreamed with nlite, the drivers are installed in a certain order as required by dell.??

I have a dell dimension 3000 and my driver files have .inf's , the chipset also.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/164122-need-help-slipstreaming-dell-dimension-3000-drivers/

from your question above, it would appear that you need the inf file, if you do not show that file, download the .exe from dell, reinstall and insure that the files are extracted to a location you can find, and then see if the .inf file is now available to you.

sorry. R58201_ZPE from dell downlad or the R58201 from resource cd does not have an inf file when Extracted or installed. So not possible. Mind sharing your EXE file with me so I can see?

read through the readme.txt, there are some info on the .inf file, and how to extract it, I was wrong, I have a .ini file not a .inf. sorry. will see if I can get the .inf, I am not sure how to get it installed as the readme file talks about command line flags, all I have ever done was double click to install.

also one reason why I have not slipstreamed my drivers, :)

Trust me, I have been down that road. Running commands is all foreign to me. Always failed at it. I really need to integrate this chipset though. I looked at the read me many times. I can't make heads or tails of it.

okay, I looked in my .inf file, (hidden C:\WINDOWS\inf ) and looking at 865.inf says it is for chipset, why it is here and not in the chipset file I do not know, but I also do not know if this is the correct inf file, there are lots of files in this folder and I do not want to read each one to find out which is the inf for dells 52801.exe, but I will see if I can find a definitive .inf file. May not be until tomorrow.

No hurry. I have waited ages. No point in being in a hurry now. Thanks Elizabeth23. I knew you would help if it were at all possible. You are always friendly and helpful as well.

http://www.sbbala.com/DellWWAN/Dell5530.htm

if you can follow the steps above you will get the file, I have downloaded 7zzip, winrar and universal extractor and tried command prompt, Since it is an intel driver which dell made proprietary fix to, it is a lot of work to try to extract the inf file.

I gave up long ago when I first made a install cd with nlite. and now I remember why I gave up.

I keep my drivers on a cd, and just install them in order once my install is complete. Takes a few minutes and I am done.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/134913-howto-get-your-inf-and-driver-files-from-an-exe/

the nlite tutorial above is just as mind boggling.

==============

I give up. Sorry, but I could not find an easy way to get the inf. it can be done, but will require work. I am too lazy. :)

HEY!!!!

I gave up too soon!

I downloaded zipscan:

http://www.zipscan.co.uk/

it required two dll's to be placed in the program folder (located in program files)

I have uploaded both to my one drive:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=d7389b68b3a275ad

they are ZD50149.dll and ZD51145.dll

zipscan needed both of these to work but then it was able to extract all files, and also extract the cabinet file which is where the inf. were.

beware there are a lot of .inf files here so you will have to choose or point nlite to the folder where you extracted the files.

I extracted the data 1 cab, when you have the extracted inf files in a folder then you can point nlite to that folder. I believe that nlite will use all the inf files.

you can also google each inf for a more detailed description. It is not something I want to do as that is a lot of files to search.

I can't be sure what to add as driver so I won't attempt it anytime soon. Now I know though how to extract it. Thanks to you and you alone. No one else even truly bothered to get in depth and help. So pat on the back to you Liz. :)

Ps. I am wondering what to do for my clean install this time around. I wipe the drive and al of that but I hate these Update Packs honestly. What is your process if you would not mind sharing since we use the same PC.

If I could afford it I would get acronis true image and create an image of my pc, but since I can't and my drive does not come with free acronis.

I like to update offline with wsus or autopatcher, if you use wsus, you have to get version 9.2 as that is the last version that handles xp.

I have my oem cd slipstreamed with sp3, and a few items removed with nlite.

after xp install (i wipe with dban and then do a full format) I install my dss, chipset, video, and audio. I do not install internet until I have finished updating and have installed an antivirus offline. I also install ccleaner and defraggler from piriform offline.
that way I can defrag pc before going online to microsoft updates to see if any optional updates or critical updates are available, as some wga updates will not be downloaded by wsus or autopatcher.

Right now my antivirus is 360 Internet by qihoo, and there is a offline database I can download, of course once I go online it will update itself to the latest virus database.

I have been fluctuating between panda, avast, and 360. and I keep coming back to 360. panda hogs resources and avast is supposedly dropping xp support soon.

It generally takes by 10 to 12 hours, as after I am fully updated, I tweak xp registry to set xp just how I like it.
====

that's it for how I do a clean install. if you have any other questions let me know.

Back