Hello.Help please !

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by djradu28, Feb 12, 2013.

1. djradu28

djradu28

I am glad to be in this great place.My problem sounds like this:I instal a fresh copy of windoes x SP3 (Format,install,etc) i install my motherboard,audio,video,lan drivers,i install software wich i comonly use . All goes well for a wild but from some time now this happens,i start my pc,it boots,the welcome blue screen apears as usual,dektop apears as well my antivirus (Avira) and my other protction iobit malwarefighter start to,then i go to the green start menu and i want to go to conect to...for internet conecting,the green start button freezes and i cant acces it anymore,sometimes it takes even 3 minutes to get up and runing again,my pc is powerfull,both ram and cpu,so i dont know why this happens ? My wndows xp its not original :D but i have never had this problem before,once i had a windows xp black edition and did not had this problem,but at Start--->Startup----> had a thing called something like WINDOWS XPSLOWBOOt(STARTUP)FIX.VB that helpful but in the classic windows xp this thing cant be found,where can i find this thing to download,whats the problem,how and what to stop freezing !
    AVIRA
    IOBIT MALWARE FIGHTER
    IOBIT ADVANCED SYSTEM CARE
    IOBIT SMART DEFRAG
    Are some siftware i use incase it helps in my problem !
    Thank you and sorry for my bad english im from romania ! :)

djradu28, Feb 12, 2013
  2. djradu28

Elizabeth23

no matter what you are using now, run the following scans:

Download, install, update and do full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
    SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

Remove all found, reboot, and run again until scans run clean, these can be removed afterwards if you so choose.

both are free,

I do not use AVIRA, I use Microsoft security essentials, I like it much better than avira.

1.If all the programs you listed are running at the same time that could cause the problem

2. how old is the hdd? it might be getting ready to fail and may have some worn spots, I would run checkdisk:

go to start, run, type in CMD click OK

in cmd type chkdsk c: /r press enter

type Y for yes when asked to run at next restart, press enter

type exit and press enter

restart pc, this is a lengthy process one or two hours depending on hdd size. If any errors are found then you will have to run checkdisk again until no errors are found, you can view report in event viewer, applications, winlogon.

3. running the scans and check disk will ensure your system is clean and error free.

Elizabeth23, Feb 12, 2013
  3. djradu28

Elizabeth23

I forgot, if you are receiving any error messages I need the EXACT error message, no paraphrasing. thanks.

4. djradu28

Elizabeth23

another note, if you are going to create a bootable cd with drivers as per your other question, make sure you do it from a clean machine, no infections.

5. djradu28

djradu28

Thank you for the help but : On windows 7 and vista and on Ubuntu & Linux works great its a 500 Gb Hdd,its only a couple months old,it came with a new pc.

djradu28, Feb 12, 2013
  6. djradu28

Elizabeth23

if you are having a prob with a new pc, then it is under warranty, call the pc manufacturer and see if they will assist you.

I only know XP, can not help with win 7 and/or vista.

7. djradu28

djradu28

I meant to say that this thing happens only on windows xp and not on windows vista,7 or 8 or on ubuntu or linux,so the problem is with xp ! How can it bee and it happens even after a fresh install

djradu28, Feb 12, 2013
  8. djradu28

Elizabeth23

there is a certain order to reinstalling, look over these sites and see if maybe you did not perform a needed step:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-xp/help/setup/install-windows-xp
    http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/sp2installxpcdoldhdd/indexfullpage.htm
    http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=44636
    Clean installs of XP sites

-------------------------------------------------

below is only if you have an HP

If you were already at service pack 1, 1A or 2, you can install SP3, but before you do, read this article…
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
    …and if your PC is an HP Pavilion, Presario or Media Center and has an AMD processor you need to install this patch before installing SP3…
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=pv-60484-2
    Install SP3 by downloading and running from...
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=24
    …again, you can ignore the text that says that it is for network installations and also ignore the text advising Windows/Microsoft Update if only updating one PC.
    Then try and get up to date with Windows Updates via the Start menu.

9. djradu28

djradu28

Been there , done that i know the process !

djradu28, Feb 12, 2013
  10. djradu28

Elizabeth23

then I would say that you are infected, which can cause freeze ups, and also too many things running at the same time can cause conflicts, which would also freeze up pc.

I would download Autoruns, link to follow, and Process explorer, link to follow, both of these are helpful in finding what is going on at the time of the error, Autoruns shows what is running at start up, process explorer is a better form of xp's task manager.

AUTORUNS

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902
    Above is autoruns for loadup issues
    If you still can't find the entry in the registry, download Autoruns. Let it complete scanning and click the Services tab. Find the name of the "bad" service in the left column ("Autorun Entry"). Right click and select "Jump to". You'll go right to the proper entry in the registry to edit it.
    I would scrutinise what you have loading on StartUp. You need to see if you have programmes loading during boot process which might be changed to on demand.
    With Autoruns you can uncheck an item, which disables it from starting, or you can right click an item and then delete it. If you uncheck you can recheck to re-enable the item. It is a much safer approach than editing the Registry and better than using msconfig.
    Another useful feature of the programme is that you can right click an item and select Search Online to get information about the item selected.
    When using Autoruns you will need to click on the "Logon" tab to see what is running at start-up.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

process explorer download

11. djradu28

Elizabeth23

Forgot, first and foremost ensure your system is clean, run the scans from my first reply and run until all scans are clean.

12. djradu28

djradu28

Il try,thank you ! But how can i bee infected if in the process of installing and formating i have wipped out all the hard disc,its all gone ?

djradu28, Feb 12, 2013
  13. djradu28

Elizabeth23

If you connected to the internet before installing an antivirus, it can take a second for an infection to get in, sometimes just surfing can get you infected, that is why I use MSE running in real time, and MBAM and SAS as on demand scanners.
    I have been pretty lucky what one missed the other picked up, plus I watch where my links are taking me, I have the Web of Trust (WOT) installed it is a browser addon and puts colored circles next to each website so you get a pretty good idea if it is a good website or not. :)

14. djradu28

Elizabeth23

another note, if you have downloaded things to a flash drive and plugged it in and opened it up without scanning it first, then it can infect you also, that is why Microsoft instituted a security update last year which disabled autoplay, so as to give you achance to scan first.

15. djradu28

djradu28

So the fact i saw when the green start buton freezes is that the desktop items work and pressing ctrl+alt+del i see allot of svchost runing and they "eat" allot of resources So thing is that just the green start buton freezez but the desktop items work,im an linux user so i dont know much bout windows !

djradu28, Feb 13, 2013
  16. djradu28

Elizabeth23

are you saying that all works on the Windows desktop, EXCEPT for the start button?

Elizabeth23, Feb 13, 2013
  17. djradu28

Elizabeth23

18. djradu28

djradu28

It does not helpso much. I power up the pc,after that he welcome screen apears,my desctop with icons show and its fully working,but if i go to the green start button to for example contect to my internet or go to a profgram,it opens than it freezes,and it takes even 3 minutes thill i can use he green tart button again,and this is after a fresh install ! and by the way does it matter if i format the hard drive the normal way or the quick fornat ! Sorry bout my english im from romania !

djradu28, Feb 13, 2013
  19. djradu28

Elizabeth23

something is causing a conflict, are there any errors in event viewer?

what did the process explorer report show, anything that you do not recognize running?

you can search online with a right click in process explorer for each process that is unclear.

if all scans are clean, then it is most likely a third party sympton

20. djradu28

djradu28

None of the above,only what thir party could bee ?

djradu28, Feb 14, 2013
Ask a Question