Happy Birthday XP!

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by WindowsXPforever, Oct 25, 2018.

1. WindowsXPforever

cmccaff1

I wouldn't be surprised in the least! Windows Update has always been a virus to me, but at least it was useful in the XP era and earlier.

cmccaff1, Nov 11, 2018
  2. WindowsXPforever

Janice

Are you seeing the attachments now? The error appears to be fixed because I can see the attachments and they open nicely.

Janice, Nov 12, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  3. WindowsXPforever

EdT

Can K-Meleon play H264 content on Youtube ? I tried copying over my 52.9.1ESR pref file over to K-Meleon, but they still can't play them higher than 480p resolution.

EdT, Dec 3, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  4. WindowsXPforever

cmccaff1

K-Meleon 77 builds should be able to play H264 with no problems! Not sure about 75.1 or 76RC, though.

cmccaff1, Dec 4, 2018
    EdT likes this.
  5. WindowsXPforever

vmbox

When I was younger I used to play Gary gadget building cars on my dad's Windows XP laptop...

vmbox, Dec 23, 2018
    WindowsXPforever likes this.
  6. WindowsXPforever

Mike_Walsh

Mm. I don't know so much.....

I used to be a died-in-the-wool XP user myself, but I saw sense when EOL came around. I switched to Linux myself (firstly Ubuntu, followed by a few other 'mainstream' distros).....then an acquaintance at the Ubuntu Forums put me onto Puppy Linux. For the last 4 years I've been exclusively all-Puppy, and there's nothing I could do on XP that I can't do with Puppy.....even running all the programs I used to run in XP under WINE.

I run a 15-yr old Compaq desktop (one of the last made before HP took 'em over, and reduced the once-proud Compaq name to a mere mention in its dreary line-up.) I had to switch away from Ubuntu, since Canonical compile their own kernels.....and arbitrarily decided to 'drop' support for my old ATI graphics chip. Mark Shuttleworth, Canonical's boss, sees Ubuntu as a Win 10 competitor, so wants it to support all the very newest hardware.....and wants to move away from the traditional Linux image of keeping elderly hardware useful.

Puppy uses bog-standard kernels, so the problem doesn't arise. It flies with most older hardware, and, on this old Compaq desktop (running an Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 2.0 GHz, w/3 GB DDR1 RAM), would give top-end hardware running Win 10 a bloody good run for its money.

It's worth a look, since it's been designed to be easy for Windows 'refugees' to get on with, and is all GUIs, tooltips, wizards for setting up everything you can imagine, etc.

I'd recommend it to anybody. :)

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Dec 26, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  7. WindowsXPforever

cmccaff1

I'll definitely consider migrating to Puppy Linux in the future! For now, XP is doing all that I need it to do, and I want to hedge my bets for now just in case any projects come to fruition this year to extend the lifespan of this venerable OS (2019, I think, will be a very important year for everyone who is still using XP).

cmccaff1, Jan 5, 2019
  8. WindowsXPforever

WindowsXPforever

Its going to be a sad one for some be cause posready 2009 support will end,but hey msfn might port windows server2008 updates to xp and it would (un)officialy would be supported until 2020 and there would be unofficial updates probably from msfn wizards to extend windows xp updates :)

WindowsXPforever, Jan 5, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  9. WindowsXPforever

cmccaff1

I'm definitely keeping my hopes up! I have no doubt that the folks at MSFN will continue to find ways of keeping XP alive.

cmccaff1, Jan 5, 2019
  10. WindowsXPforever

Lockherup

Hey sorry to bash you on the puppy argument again but I still think puppy is a laughing stock for children when compared to XP. After reading a few of the comments on why you gave up XP for puppy I realized you were quoting all the wrong reasons. It sounds like you had XP running poorly and couldn't get it to do the things you wanted. I still find no comparison between the two and can't even give puppy a 1 if I gave XP 10. Also wine is just a stitch job, it can run a browser and notepad but it isn't a replacement for anything. At the end of the day I've been able to get XP to do what I want on just about anything. It runs a super fast browser and video player on my old laptop and I also run it as a media center on a 1080p and a desktop for programming and graphics. The only things it doesn't run are garbage that XP users wouldn't run anyway. Puppy is cute and has its use but I still can't put it in the same class as XP or even Win 98.

Woof Woof

Lockherup, Jan 5, 2019
    Janice and cmccaff1 like this.
Ask a Question