Got Mypal to work BRILLIANTLY but don't know why??????

Retired. Hobby is mucking about with older laptops that I repair. Have 11 units that boot to XP3 so you know this is my favorite OS. Very unhappy when Firefox threw XP under the bus. Was using Mypal as alternative (souped up with a lot of old Firefox addons; also an addon that stops compatibility checking). Mypal would work well for 5 or ten minutes then start to freeze up and ultimately lock the computer. My work-around was to restart it often which was annoying. I suspected it was a memory issue but all my old Thinkpads were maxxed out at 2gb already. Then I accidentally found this solution which makes Mypal run like a dream, but do not know why: 1. Boot as per usual. 2. Launch mail client (Thunderbird) and browser (Mypal). 3. Use machine. 4. As time goes by, Mypal becomes a memory pit and available memory declines. 5. Before Mypal starts to freeze up, temporarily launch Portable version 51 of Firefox. Not 52 which is creepy and strange. This will run at the same time as MyPal. 6. Make sure your Firefox portable has the extension Memory Fox Next and set it for "ACTIVATE MEMORY FOX NEXT ALL PROCESSES". 7. Close Firefox. Suddenly the memory counter on the machine reverses and I always have a ton of free memory, no matter what I do. Mypal turns into a speed demon. As long as you avoid media players like Youtube, you can use the machine for hours without problems???? This post done via XP.:)

Retired. Hobby is mucking about with older laptops that I repair. Have 11 units that boot to XP3 so you know this is my favorite OS. Youtube, you can use the machine for hours without problems???? This post done via XP.:)

Just a tip.. DITCH the thinkpad as I did, even for a lower quality tank like old acer aspire, screen is 1280 instead of 1024, supports dual core instead of single core and supports 3gb instead of 2gb, add a 64gb SSD from craigslist and youtube and bitchute run like your home TV.

DITCH firefox, mozilla is a despicable company at all levels. These are the people that deciced to turn off your hosts file one day in a new version. now they're talking about turning on censorship tools by default in browser and controlling what you see. like with facebook and google, their product isn''t a shitty browser, the product is you.

mypal is flawless and you have other issues. I can keep it running forever

Just a tip.. DITCH the thinkpad as I did, even for a lower quality tank like old acer aspire, screen is 1280 instead of 1024, supports dual core instead of single core and supports 3gb instead of 2gb, add a 64gb SSD from craigslist and youtube and bitchute run like your home TV.

DITCH firefox, mozilla is a despicable company at all levels. These are the people that deciced to turn off your hosts file one day in a new version. now they're talking about turning on censorship tools by default in browser and controlling what you see. like with facebook and google, their product isn''t a shitty browser, the product is you.

I concur...the difference between Firefox and Chrome is one only of degree. Well, maybe Mozilla is far more hypocritical, as Google/Chrome devotes far less effort into convincing you it has not embraced the Darkside!

https://learnworthy.net/mozilla-labeled-evil-after-user-digs-into-firefox-privacy/
https://markssoftware.com/2018/04/08/mozilla-is-evil.html
https://digdeeper.neocities.org/ghost/mozilla.html

Thanks for the feedback. 1. Some confusion about Firefox -- what I said is that I regularly run Mypal which is a custom fork of Palemoon which is itself a fork of Firefox that has none of the bloat or censorship of Firefox. Mypal was created for XP holdovers only. What I said is that, in running Mypal, to get it to work correctly, I need to temporarily run v51 of Firefox (literally for two minutes and then quit!) to stop Mypal from glitching. 2. Thanks for the tip on Acer. One of my networked machines is an old Aspire I repaired (new keyboard and wireless card, drilled hole in the chassis to stop the chronic overheating). Does not have the awesome TP keyboard and I do a paid daily blog.3. Another forum told me that Memory Fox (my original post) was written by some coding genius and that it changes memory handling (flushing) system wide (amazing for a mere Firefox addon) even when the browser that triggered it is closed. Chrome is from those nice people who create a profile on everything you do and say, and then sell it to the highest bidder. They actually forced MSFT to change their business plan via Windows 10, coming late to the spy-party. "Telemetry" is not your friend. Thanks again guys

I use speendfan 4.52 on the Aspire. It used to get hot really fast when you hit something like a HTML5 page with heavy java and 720p movie embedded, it would do a hard shut down but speedfan is a little quicker and problem solved.

Thanks for the feedback. 1. Some confusion about Firefox -- what I said is that I regularly run Mypal which is a custom fork of Palemoon which is itself a fork of Firefox that has none of the bloat or censorship of Firefox. Mypal was created for XP holdovers only. What I said is that, in running Mypal, to get it to work correctly, I need to temporarily run v51 of Firefox (literally for two minutes and then quit!) to stop Mypal from glitching. 2. Thanks for the tip on Acer. One of my networked machines is an old Aspire I repaired (new keyboard and wireless card, drilled hole in the chassis to stop the chronic overheating). Does not have the awesome TP keyboard and I do a paid daily blog.3. Another forum told me that Memory Fox (my original post) was written by some coding genius and that it changes memory handling (flushing) system wide (amazing for a mere Firefox addon) even when the browser that triggered it is closed. Chrome is from those nice people who create a profile on everything you do and say, and then sell it to the highest bidder. They actually forced MSFT to change their business plan via Windows 10, coming late to the spy-party. "Telemetry" is not your friend. Thanks again guys

Any idea where the Memory Fox addon can be downloaded? Google all points to deadends.

I believe this is now unsupported and orphaned. I reached out to a friend who has an archive of legacy extensions and he provided this link which should work for a day or two: <https://we.tl/t-MgVz37XPY9> I cannot guarantee that the link works or the software version is correct for you. In fact I cannot guarantee anything, including tomorrow's weather. Best I can can do. Cheers.

Yeah, link expired. It don't matter. I pretty much had it with Mypal. Now it won't even play bitchute videos. Time to fast-track my move Win 7.

Yeah, link expired. It don't matter. I pretty much had it with Mypal. Now it won't even play bitchute videos. Time to fast-track my move Win 7.
Hello,

Have you tried using K-Meleon to play Bitchute videos? Of course, there are many variables to consider when determing the reason why videos load poorly from video streaming sites -- such as RAM, processor, Internet connection, and so on. Nevertheless, and all-things-considered, K-Meleon seems to run lighter than MyPal. In fact, (from personal experience) with K-Meleon I can have more than half a dozen browesr tabs open at once without issue.

(Note: this comparison between MyPal and K-Meleon is from a ~15 year old desktop computer with a ~2.4GhZ processor and 512RAM.)

To be sure, I just went to Bitchute and tested a video. The video took a few seconds to buffer (~20 minute video) and after those few seconds it began to play without issue -- and this was with an additional ~6 browser tabs open! Personally, there have been moments where roughly a dozen browser tabs could be open with K-Meleon and I could operate other (light) programs without issue.

I've noticed K-Meleon has been discussed within this thread so I'll assume others are familiar with it. Again, from personal experience, I've noticed K-Meleon is lighter and faster than MyPal so perhps it's worth trying K-Meleon if the MyPal experience has been unpleasant.

MyPal is a fork of Pale Moon so it will inherit all of its limitations. Bitchute changed to AVC (Advanced Video Codec) at some point for video playback so browsers that don't support AVC won't play BitChute or any other sites that use that codec.

I haven't used K-Meleon for a long time due to it's lack of extension support, specifically UBlock Origin, the best ad blocker bar none. K-Meleon was a good web browser in early 2000s, now pretty much as useful as Opera 12.x browser.

I just tried an older build of Serpent web browser (Basilisk 55 2018.12.08) on BitChute and it played videos.

image.png

You can grab the same or newer builds of Basilisk 55 here from our old friend Roytam's repository:

https://o.rthost.win/basilisk/?sort=date&order=desc

They are archived in 7zip format which I recall some users on this forum have had problems with.

I pretty much had it with Mypal. Now it won't even play bitchute videos. Time to fast-track my move Win 7.

That might be the best move in your case. Legacy OSes with no support and limited software developed by hobbyists is best left to advanced computer users who can solve their own issues.

Bitchute works fine on every mypal from 26 to 28.17 .. These people who have problems also can't download a pic or open their email. At this point I would say let him go for win 7

I just tried BitChute on MyPal 28.8.2 & Centaury 0.0.7 but no videos will play. BitChute does work on the latest K-Meleon 76.3.1. Be warned, the only extension K-Meleon supports is its own version of AdBlock plus so no Ghostery, Privacy Badger, NoScript, Self-Destructing Cookies etc.

If someone wants to try the latest versions of MyPal & Centaury on that site be my guest.

Works fine here since v25. Bitchute, GABTV, Odysee, LBRY all play fine for me. see screenshot ,, I tried to get the smartest member in there but accidentally got Elizabeth23. :):)

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
I tried BitChute again in MyPal 28.8.2 & Centaury 0.0.7 this time disabling UBlock Origin completely and it worked. I tried enabling filters one by one but each time I did it kept trying to connect to even more domains. So the only way for me to watch videos on this site is to completely disable my adblocker.

No thanks. I've never even heard of this site until a few days ago. I can live without it since I can watch videos on every other site including Youtube, Vimeo etc. with my adblocker enabled. I don't surf the web without my UBlock. If a website doesn't work with UBlock I simply don't got to that website anymore.

I have too many people calling me to help fix their computers after clicking on some ad/popup that said it could clean/fix their computer and instead did the opposite. I block all ads. I say it with pride.

I have too many people calling me to help fix their computers after clicking on some ad/popup that said it could clean/fix their computer and instead did the opposite. I block all ads. I say it with pride.

how does adblock interfere with videos. as far as I can tell bitchute does't even serve ads. they also don't track and follow people. you can also play a videos as a file only without the web page container, that way there isn't even a second hit taken from any server icluding their own. If you copy the full vid url in the address bar it will play the video in a standalone container, you can also download the videos and play them again in mypal or vlc without even being connected to the iternet.. the browsers are also players if you haven't noticed.

I don't think you can live without alt tech going forward. as we've been saying for years the mainstream platforms are rigged up scams for the global power bodies, unless you want to be wrong all the time and live under a rock you might as well fix your player and get with the program.

funny cartoon with container removed.. should play for anyone
-- Bill Gates Finally Tells the Truth ( 3:46)
https://seed126.bitchute.com/eL2v4Rpx9ZBy/TiIydHlzBc1H.mp4

Last edited:

Hmm. Interesting perspective!

If you want nothing to do with either Mozilla OR Google (i.e., the Chromium Project, which is where every 'clone' - even Chrome itself - comes from), then you won't be connecting to the modern internet at all. Those two between them have all the bases covered.

Of course, sour grapes could be related to the insistence on running an ancient, dangerously out-of-date OS, along with getting on your high-horse and turning VICIOUS with anybody else who doesn't share your 'blinkered' POV.

Your choice, of course.... :D

Really & truly, there is NO shame in using a small, lightweight Linux distro for web-browsing - giving you the choice of modern, safe, up-to-date web browsers - and continuing to use Windows XP for everything else. Even other members here on the forum do the same.

Nobody will think any the less of you if you do.

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
I think you failed with XP and couldn't adapt and want everyone else to live in shame with you on the modern internet. Why don't you learn to use your computer instead of babbling on about the dangerously out of date modern internet garbage. This sounds like a cheap attempt at promoting a one man opertaing system designed for people who spend their life in a server room. I'm happy to destroy puppy vs XP if you have the balls to open up a thread about it.

Hmm. Interesting perspective!

If you want nothing to do with either Mozilla OR Google (i.e., the Chromium Project, which is where every 'clone' - even Chrome itself - comes from), then you won't be connecting to the modern internet at all. Those two between them have all the bases covered.

Of course, sour grapes could be related to the insistence on running an ancient, dangerously out-of-date OS, along with getting on your high-horse and turning VICIOUS with anybody else who doesn't share your 'blinkered' POV.

Your choice, of course.... :D

Really & truly, there is NO shame in using a small, lightweight Linux distro for web-browsing - giving you the choice of modern, safe, up-to-date web browsers - and continuing to use Windows XP for everything else. Even other members here on the forum do the same.

Nobody will think any the less of you if you do.

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

I think you failed with XP and couldn't adapt and want everyone else to live in shame with you on the modern internet.

Mmm.....I wouldn't say "failed", exactly. I had a lot of enjoyable time with XP.....certainly in the early years. But I'd used it ever since first release, and, well.....by the time EOL rolled round, almost 13 years later, I was just ready for a change.

You have to realise, I'd been using Windows ever since 3.1, in the mid-to-late 80's. Nearly 30 years of unrelenting cock-ups, and aggravation, and struggling with one balky version after another.....I don't think there's a Windows user alive who didn't find themselves swearing at ME, for instance, at some point..!

On top of all that, I've always enjoyed a challenge; the satisfaction that comes from learning something completely new, and of eventually mastering it. Linux certainly provided that challenge; first Ubuntu, followed by a whole slew of different distros during the obligatory "distro-hopping" phase.....every Linux user goes through it at some stage. I arrived at Puppy through no fault of my own; it was the only OS that would run, without a hitch, on the by now 12-year old hardware I had at that point (largely because Pup's always been intended to keep elderly hardware functional and useful).....most of them were dropping support for the onboard graphics chip I had, resulting in LOTS of very interesting artifacts, and necessitating shutdown after shutdown, re-boot after re-boot. (Which is NOT normal for Linux, incidentally, given that so much of what you update/upgrade, etc, can be achieved pretty much "on-the-fly", while still running as usual.)

No, no "toe in the water" and "feeling my way" for me; I wiped XP off my 'puters, and dived head-first into the uncharted wilderness of the Linux eco-system literally overnight. My natural curiosity, and determination to master this "beast" that every Windows user had reservations about, saw me over the peak of a very steep "learning-curve", and I eventually began to enjoy myself.....and to once again look forward to firing-up the beast in the mornings.

In all honesty, since going full-time with Puppy, I can truthfully say that for the first time in years I'm finally having fun again with my "boxes of black magic" (as my sister calls 'em). It's rather pleasant being part of an enthusiastic community once more, and I'm at the stage where I, in MY turn, am now helping out Puppy noobs on the Puppy Forums, and passing on my own nuggets of hard-earnt wisdom.

(I feel I owe you an apology, in a way. You didn't deserve that earful I levelled at you some weeks back; following a heart-attack a few years ago, I find myself just getting "bloody-minded" some days for no real reason. I really should learn to refrain from posting when I'm in that frame of mind.....at least, until I'm feeling more 'sociable' again!)

So; sorry an' all that. (Now how often do folks actually apologise on fora like this, hmm..?) No hard feelings; life's too short for all that crap.

----------------------------------------

Incidentally, guys - I don't know whether this will work for MyPal, especially under Windows - I spend an awful lot of time re-packaging browsers to work with Puppy's package management system.....PaleMoon among them. (It's very popular with Puppy users, it seems, especially the 'portable' version I build).

We've found that the best way to get videos working in Pale Moon, regardless of OS vintage or age of hardware, etc, is to go into 'about:config'. Look for "media.libavcodec.obsolete-allow".....and toggle it to 'true'.

Like I said, I don't even know if MyPal HAS this setting. But it can't hurt to give it a try.....

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
The original post here was mine so I wanted to update.

1. My original question sought advice as why I was able to get a 2002 Thinkpad T42p with only 2.0GB ram to work so darn well with Mypal? The best answer seems to be that the original creator of MemoryFox was a true coding genius and included a feature that increased flushing on the entire system (if you selected it!) thereby creating the freak result of significantly increased speed.

2. By trial and error I found that the bizarre speeded-up performance does not work as well on the newest iterations of Mypal. The last version of Mypal that permits the speed burst is 28.14.2 As I result I run this specific version as my DEFAULT browser and keep also a portable version of the NEWEST UPDATE OF MYPAL on the machine for sites that do not work optimally with this older version. I very seldom have to use the newer version of MYPAL. I also keep a portable version of Firefox 51 around as a reference point. I found v 51 to be robust but not very useful for modern sites. Too old. I could never get FF 52 to work properly anywhere. Most video players will run in that version of Mypal (28.14.2) but any video will slow the XP OS down dramatically when played.

3. To keep the "mystery" turbo speed going with Mypal I have found it helps to manually flush the cache every 10 web sites or so -- SHIFT/CTRL/DEL and select the cache only. About once an hour (after visiting literally dozens of sites) the entire machine will start to slow down. I believe at this point Memory Fox starts to lose control of the flushing process. The solution is either a full restart OR manually close all major programs and reopen them, which works as well and takes only a minute or so.

4. I am attaching a snapshot of my configuration of the "turbo" MYPAL. Some will say I have too many extensions installed. My answer is I use them all. Every one. Note that one extension is VLC YOUTUBE SHORTCUT. If used on youtube, it calls your local version of VLC as the player instead of the browser. Clever.

5. Advising me to ditch the old 2002 Thinkpad is not helpful. I have over a dozen machines in my network, the two most recent being a Thinkpad T410 and a DELL VOSTRO (circa 2010 for both) but the 2002 T42p is my daily driver because of size and weight and keyboard response. The only major repairs were a new fan, a screen swap, and misc chassis repairs with instant glue and baking soda and black paint. I have found VLC 2.0.8 works best with XP.

6. Advising me to upgrade the Windows OS also not helpful. Several of my "newer" machines are tri-boots. Booting to XP-WIN7-WIN81 or, alternatively, WIN7-WIN81-WIN10. Win10 as you know is a "woke" OS that not only spies on you and records keystrokes/audio but each update aggressively looks for user privacy mods/patches and undoes them. If you decide to spend the hours "de-bloating" Win10 with a third-party utility, you will need to also use a free firewall like SIMPLEWALL that blocks all Microsoft "telemetry" servers; and also tweak GROUP POLICY to disable Windows updates. If you do this, you will finally have a private WIN10 machine that works extremely well but you risk encountering one day in the future a software install that will consider your version of Win10 to be "out of date."

7. This summer I am making the Vostro into a quad-boot that will have XP as the default and also offer boot options to Win7-Win81-Win10. I am optimistic this should work well. But you never know.

Happy computing and happy Easter.:)

Attachments

• screen_2021-04-04_07-11-26.jpg
    screen_2021-04-04_07-11-26.jpg
    531.1 KB · Views: 73
Back