Got Mypal to work BRILLIANTLY but don't know why??????

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by popsmoke, Jan 12, 2021.

1. popsmoke

popsmoke

Retired. Hobby is mucking about with older laptops that I repair. Have 11 units that boot to XP3 so you know this is my favorite OS. Very unhappy when Firefox threw XP under the bus. Was using Mypal as alternative (souped up with a lot of old Firefox addons; also an addon that stops compatibility checking). Mypal would work well for 5 or ten minutes then start to freeze up and ultimately lock the computer. My work-around was to restart it often which was annoying. I suspected it was a memory issue but all my old Thinkpads were maxxed out at 2gb already. Then I accidentally found this solution which makes Mypal run like a dream, but do not know why: 1. Boot as per usual. 2. Launch mail client (Thunderbird) and browser (Mypal). 3. Use machine. 4. As time goes by, Mypal becomes a memory pit and available memory declines. 5. Before Mypal starts to freeze up, temporarily launch Portable version 51 of Firefox. Not 52 which is creepy and strange. This will run at the same time as MyPal. 6. Make sure your Firefox portable has the extension Memory Fox Next and set it for "ACTIVATE MEMORY FOX NEXT ALL PROCESSES". 7. Close Firefox. Suddenly the memory counter on the machine reverses and I always have a ton of free memory, no matter what I do. Mypal turns into a speed demon. As long as you avoid media players like Youtube, you can use the machine for hours without problems???? This post done via XP.:)

popsmoke, Jan 12, 2021
    1. Advertisements

2. popsmoke

Elizabeth23

sounds great, but my Mypal runs fine now, except that I have almost no addons running, :)

Elizabeth23, Jan 12, 2021
    1. Advertisements

3. popsmoke

Lockherup

Just a tip.. DITCH the thinkpad as I did, even for a lower quality tank like old acer aspire, screen is 1280 instead of 1024, supports dual core instead of single core and supports 3gb instead of 2gb, add a 64gb SSD from craigslist and youtube and bitchute run like your home TV.

DITCH firefox, mozilla is a despicable company at all levels. These are the people that deciced to turn off your hosts file one day in a new version. now they're talking about turning on censorship tools by default in browser and controlling what you see. like with facebook and google, their product isn''t a shitty browser, the product is you.

mypal is flawless and you have other issues. I can keep it running forever

Lockherup, Jan 12, 2021
    trimis and Janice like this.
  4. popsmoke

trimis

I concur...the difference between Firefox and Chrome is one only of degree. Well, maybe Mozilla is far more hypocritical, as Google/Chrome devotes far less effort into convincing you it has not embraced the Darkside!

https://learnworthy.net/mozilla-labeled-evil-after-user-digs-into-firefox-privacy/
    https://markssoftware.com/2018/04/08/mozilla-is-evil.html
    https://digdeeper.neocities.org/ghost/mozilla.html

trimis, Jan 15, 2021 at 5:17 AM
  5. popsmoke

popsmoke

Thanks for the feedback. 1. Some confusion about Firefox -- what I said is that I regularly run Mypal which is a custom fork of Palemoon which is itself a fork of Firefox that has none of the bloat or censorship of Firefox. Mypal was created for XP holdovers only. What I said is that, in running Mypal, to get it to work correctly, I need to temporarily run v51 of Firefox (literally for two minutes and then quit!) to stop Mypal from glitching. 2. Thanks for the tip on Acer. One of my networked machines is an old Aspire I repaired (new keyboard and wireless card, drilled hole in the chassis to stop the chronic overheating). Does not have the awesome TP keyboard and I do a paid daily blog.3. Another forum told me that Memory Fox (my original post) was written by some coding genius and that it changes memory handling (flushing) system wide (amazing for a mere Firefox addon) even when the browser that triggered it is closed. Chrome is from those nice people who create a profile on everything you do and say, and then sell it to the highest bidder. They actually forced MSFT to change their business plan via Windows 10, coming late to the spy-party. "Telemetry" is not your friend. Thanks again guys

popsmoke, Jan 15, 2021 at 12:21 PM
    trimis likes this.
  6. popsmoke

Lockherup

I use speendfan 4.52 on the Aspire. It used to get hot really fast when you hit something like a HTML5 page with heavy java and 720p movie embedded, it would do a hard shut down but speedfan is a little quicker and problem solved.

Lockherup, Jan 15, 2021 at 2:39 PM
  7. popsmoke

trimis

Any idea where the Memory Fox addon can be downloaded? Google all points to deadends.

trimis, Jan 17, 2021 at 2:41 AM
  8. popsmoke

popsmoke

popsmoke, Jan 17, 2021 at 3:30 AM
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question