Following a Windows reinstall: Cannot access Router

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by Baldrick, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Baldrick

Baldrick

hello again, Elizabeth
    "are you still getting any help at the above forum?"

No, the guy I was talking seems to have run out of ideas. It was after posting on there I discovered this XP Forum.

"Remove all the stored wireless network profiles and search for the network and enter the encryption key.

reboot and see if it works now"

Each time I removed the wireless network profile it searched and found it straight away. But eventually I removed it and rebooted immediately. It found it again on reboot but didn't request the "encryption key" (by that I assume you mean the Router WEP Key?)

I then ran (see below)

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

"wireless zero configuration.... set to automatic"? I believe it is - when I click 'Repair' I get asked...

.... "Wireless LAN is Controlled by the Windows Zero Configuration.
    .... Do you want to use Wlan as the Wireless LAN configuration tool?"

I tend to answer 'no' to this. I've tried 'yes' but haven't been able to make any configuration changes through it. It loads a program called '3Com OfficeConnect Wireless Utility'. Which (I think) should allow me to enter IP Addresses and I spotted today it has buttons for ipconfig release and renew. But they don't react to being pressed.

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : home
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 54Mbps 11g Compact USB Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-6E-27-6A-A8
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.107.67
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

C:\>ipconfig /renew (as you can see this gave an error)

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection 6 : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : home
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com OfficeConnect Wireless 54Mbps 11g Compact USB Adapter #2
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-6E-27-6A-A8
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.107.67
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

C:\>

===================

"when you reinstalled windows, exactly how did you do this and what does it say on the cd used as installed media, exactly please."

It's a purple Dell disk:-

............... OPERATING SYSTEM
    ALREADY INSTALLED ON YOUR COMPUTER

.................. Reinstallation CD
    ...... Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    ............ Including Service Pack 2

dated 2004
    P/N H8527
    CD 101566

I have just spotted it says "This CD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers". Amongst all my original Dell disks I also have a 'Resource' CD containing Drivers. I have already tried to install from it but it tells me the ones I've selected are earlier than those currently installed.

=========

"also any warnings or errors in device manager?" Yes, there are under Other Devices with yellow question marks...

Ethernet Controller
    Multimedia Audio Controller
    Multimedia Audio Controller
    PCI Input Device
    Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

and under Network Adapters it lists two '1394 Net Adapters' disabled (which was suggested I didn't need enabled) plus my enabled '3Com Adapter'

"any errors in event viewer, need source and id number, please."

Event Viewer example errors...
    all today's date, Category: None, user: N/A, Computer: HOME

Source: Time: EventID: Type: Text:
    W32Time 13:08:31 29 Error The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

W32Time 13:08:31 17 Error Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

Tcpip 13:08:29 4201 Infomation The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{A9C06C2D-B584-4A33-9E24-DF029C1E7508} was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

Tcpip 13:06:14 4202 Infomation The system detected that network adapter \DEVICE\TCPIP_{A9C06C2D-B584-4A33-9E24-DF029C1E7508} was disconnected from the network, and the adapter's network configuration has been released. If the network adapter was not disconnected, this may indicate that it has malfunctioned. Please contact your vendor for updated drivers.

W32Time 13:05:56 29 Error The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.

W32Time 13:05:56 17 Error Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)

a repeated pattern of these messages along with other 'Information' including a Service Control Manager message confirming "The Wireless Zero Configuration service entered the running state."

Dchp 12:21:53 1007 Warning Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00186E276AA8. The IP address being used is 169.254.107.67.

This IP Address keeps popping up but I do not understand where it comes from.

then more repeats in the Event Viewer of the same messages

I'm tempted to run WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe to see if that might resolve the issue. What do you think? I know resolving it this was doesn't identify the cause but I feel I've taken up enough of your time on this. (And mine.)

Regards

Rick

Baldrick, Mar 11, 2018
  2. Baldrick

Elizabeth23

yes, install service pack 3, then reinstall all drivers, it will not harm the pc to install drivers over installed drivers, just answer yes if asked.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/dimension-3000/drivers

drivers above, you can input your service tag but might not get all drivers so just look for the drivers pertinent to your hardware, I also have a dimension 3000, once I got all my drivers downloaded, I copied them to a cd/flash drive and have them for whenever I reinstall xp.

http://www.dell.com/support/article...einstall-drivers-in-the-correct-order?lang=en

follow the order, first is the DSS, reboot, then the chipset, reboot, then video, audio, ethernet, wireless, that is all I install, but you may have others. :)

====================

w32time error, disregard, I have time service disabled in my services so I do not get this error

tcpip any time internet connection is enabled/disabled you will get this.

clear all events to keep current errors available, right click on each directory (left hand panel) choose "clear all events", you will be asked if you want to save it is up to you. I clear my event viewer every day.

let me know what results after install sp3 and then the drivers.

Elizabeth23, Mar 11, 2018
  3. Baldrick

Baldrick

We have lift-off!!!

Hi Elizabeth

I am pleased to report that after upgrading to SP3 and IE8 then the DSS and Chipset drivers. I uninstalled the 3Com Adapter, disconnected it from the USB, reinstalled 3Com, plugged it back in and had full access to the internet again. Without the need to enter any IP Addesses. Phew, what a relief.

I then ran the Video driver update which gave me a lovely 1280x1024 Hi-Res screen again. I've also reinstalled Zonealarm and Firefox.

I shall run through a few more driver updates (it looks like the Dell site will help me with this) including Audio and then work my way though what essentials I need for my recording and editing music.

Your files on Onedrive have given a longer life to my trusted XP machine. Many, many thanks for your help.

Rick

Baldrick, Mar 12, 2018
  4. Baldrick

Elizabeth23

you are welcome. :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 12, 2018
Ask a Question