Ethernet to transfer files between computers

Hello everyone, I'm using my WinXP computer as a backup computer in which I make a backup of my main computer, and send the compressed file to my XP one. Last night, I did that by saving it to an intermediary external hard drive, and 100GB took over 17 hours to transfer!

I believe Ethernet is faster than USB, and was wondering how you guys suggest I transfer this data between my main machine (Ubuntu 18.04) and the XP computer.

Thanks,
Moose

It sounds like you are talking about drive imaging and yes, imaging 100GB with compression will take a long time over ethernet.

Not really, I use my computer to make a backup of my home folder (not imaging the disk), and then once I'm done I have 100GB of files I need to transfer to somewhere else. And was wondering if I can transfer them over via ethernet.

If you have ethernet cards in both the xp and ubuntu systems, all you need is an ethernet cable or a network swtich (you probably have one already if you have Internet access as most routers have a switch built-in).

Once the hardware is all connected, you just need to share the xp drive and the ubuntu should be able to see it. Then copy from ubuntu. :)

Your speeds can reach as fast as 100MB/sec with 1Gb ethernet. :)

If you have ethernet cards in both the xp and ubuntu systems, all you need is an ethernet cable or a network swtich (you probably have one already if you have Internet access as most routers have a switch built-in).

Once the hardware is all connected, you just need to share the xp drive and the ubuntu should be able to see it. Then copy from ubuntu. :)

Your speeds can reach as fast as 100MB/sec with 1Gb ethernet. :)

Thanks I'll see what I can do!

Back