Drivers for Dell Inspiron laptop running XP with SP3

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by scraperman, Aug 3, 2019.

1. scraperman

Elizabeth23

below taken from HERE

The DSS (desktop) or NSS (notebook) is vital in most cases. It does exactly what it says. It provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. This is different from the drivers that you see below the DSS.

The reason that you do not see it in the Add/Remove program list is that it can not be uninstalled. It is there to cover any specialized things that Dell may have tweaked with their computers. It is running in the background as part of the OS, not as a seperate entity. When you download some security updates for your OS and install them, you don't see them in the task window either. They, just like the DSS, is part of the OS. Even some of the security updates can not be uninstalled.

===============
    R114079.EXE

above is chipset from below:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/inspiron-6000/drivers

Elizabeth23, Aug 5, 2019
    scraperman likes this.
  2. scraperman

scraperman

Thank you for the explantion. I will start again and install R114079.EXE first. Is there any specific order for drivers to be installed after that or once that is installed can the remeainder be installed in any order ?

I did ask this is post #14 "Would it help if I PM'd you the Service Tag and the Express Service Code. The Dell site advised not to make that information public"

scraperman, Aug 5, 2019
  3. scraperman

Computer semi-expert

scraperman, those two files aren't probably the same thing downloaded twice.

Computer semi-expert, Aug 5, 2019
    scraperman likes this.
  4. scraperman

scraperman

Thank you for that. I assume you mean that they ARE probably the same files ? That's what I thought and Windows has put the (1) in the name of the file the 2nd time I downloaded it ?

scraperman, Aug 5, 2019
  5. scraperman

Computer semi-expert

Yeah, that's correct.

This thing of posts not showing up is crazy. I just got some posts from earlier. We hope it will be fixed...

scraperman likes this.
  6. scraperman

Elizabeth23

https://www.dell.com/support/articl...all-dell-drivers-in-the-correct-order?lang=en

above is correct order to install dell drivers, I never install the internet driver until I have everything else installed including my antivirus, then I install the internet driver.

do not know what was happening with posts except that maybe somehow a virus got attached to a link?? but it appears to be solved now, I hope, :)

do not need your svc tag, you can input it into the dell site yourself, but sometimes lately because xp is outdated you will not get but a few drivers listed, it is better to go with all the drivers for an inspiron 6000, and use the pci/ven and pcilookup to find out exactly what those drivers are.

How To Find Drivers For An Unrecognized Device

1. Open Device Manager (Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager)
    2. The hardware whose drivers are missing will appear as Unknown device, so it's easier to locate the device.
    3. Right click on the unknown device and click on Properties.
    4. Under the Properties window click on Details tab and select Device Instance Id from the drop down box.
    5. You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_30868086
    &REV_01\4&1E46F438&0&40F0

6. The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

Vendor ID = 8086
    Device ID = 27DC

Elizabeth23, Aug 5, 2019
    scraperman likes this.
  7. scraperman

scraperman

Thanks for all that. Are you saying that the following information tells me where to find the drivers for the battery ?

IMG_8093.jpg
    IMG_8094.jpg

Is it wise to just try and re-install the other drivers, starting with the chipset and follow the instructions given in the Dell link or should I wipe the laptop clean and start all over again ? As I mentioned previously, the Dell site does not recognise my Service Tag and it shows that there are 52 drivers when you ask for the complete list for the Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop running XP.

scraperman, Aug 5, 2019
  8. scraperman

Elizabeth23

yes, you could just install the drivers starting with NSS, reboot, chipset, reboot and then the other drivers, rebooting as necessary, if you are asked to overwrite then say yes.

if you do not mind the extra work, then reformat is a good option also, as you will be starting with a clean slate,

when dell website was still complete for xp and the service tag, I downloaded all my necessary drivers, put them on a flash drive and have been using that since for every reinstall I perform.

you should do the same, by using the pciven and pci lookup you will see what vendor/device you have and then be able to pick among the 52 listed drivers, For my desktop I install Dss, Chipset, Video, Audio, my internet driver is not the one connected to the motherboard as that one is inoperable, I added a realtek card to my tower and it has a cd that I use to install my driver. thats all the drivers I install, but since you have a laptop I believe there are others that you might need, you should install the ones I have listed and then when done and rebooted, look in device manager to see if you have any yellow exclamation points for a needed driver, and then get the device instance ID, use pic lookup for the vendor and version, go to the dell site and look for that driver, if there are two that look the same read the info on both or take the one with the latest date. If your Bios version is not up to the latest one at the dell site, then you should update the bios in the order given with the link I gave you for the order of driver installation. you can tell what your bios version is by going to setup, it will be shown in the info or by going to start/run/ type in msinfo32 and you can see your bios version there.

====================

as for batteries, I did not know they needed a driver, I will have to do a bit of research and will get back to you. and by the way do not do any installing of anything on just battery power, always use AC or your batteries might fail at a critical juncture of installation and you would have it to do all over again

Elizabeth23, Aug 5, 2019
    scraperman likes this.
  9. scraperman

Elizabeth23

re: Battery

https://www.dell.com/community/Lapt...Detected-quot-but-it-still-works/td-p/2857869

https://www.dell.com/community/Lapt...Charging-but-running-on-AC-Power/td-p/2421323

it appears that the battery issue is common for the inspiron 6000, read the above two threads, you might just have to buy a new battery or stick to ac power.

further info from HERE

From my experience, either your battery is shot (they only have a one year warranty) or worst case scenario, there is a system board problem where the battery is not recognized. On a Dell, if you tap the F2 key during the POST (while the blue Dell logo is up) it will take you into the BIOS. Find the entry for the battery and if it says "battery not installed" then you know for sure. One other thing is that Dell batteries usually have a series of LED's on them. If you take out the battery and push the button and only some of the LED's light up, then again, you know it's the battery. If ALL the LED's light up indicating the battery is good, it may be the system board.

Elizabeth23, Aug 5, 2019
    scraperman likes this.
  10. scraperman

Computer semi-expert

If your battery works, it is probably something you can live with, although it would be nice to have the drivers.

scraperman likes this.
  11. scraperman

Elizabeth23

I installed xp on a dell latitude d630 and a d800, neither ever called for a driver for a battery, :)

Elizabeth23, Aug 6, 2019
    scraperman likes this.
  12. scraperman

Computer semi-expert

The battery driver would probably be included with the chipset driver or something similar, unless there is a generic driver for a battery.

Computer semi-expert, Aug 6, 2019
    scraperman likes this.
  13. scraperman

scraperman

You two contributors are helping me so much and I am very grateful. Thank you both very much indeed. We are in the middle of Summer here in the U.K. and I am very busy but I will read all that is written above and act upon it as soon as I am able to do so. Thank you all once again for the tremendous help that you have given me.

scraperman, Aug 6, 2019
  14. scraperman

Computer semi-expert

Happy to help. I've been helping here too and want to pass it on.

scraperman likes this.
  15. scraperman

scraperman

Yes, when I said "You two contributors" I was including you. Thank you. On another note : is there any way that I can take a copy of this complete topic so that I can refer back to it other than just the usual copy and paste ? The reason I ask is that I had a tremendous amount of help last time I did this and it was on a forum on a web site called Webuser but the forum on that site was taken down and I lost all the valuable info.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    scraperman, Aug 6, 2019
  16. scraperman

Elizabeth23

do not know about the whole thread, what I do and how I amassed any info I show here is I open a word document and copy/paste the pertinent info to that document and save it, then I can add more or update as I choose for each different topic of choice, if you do not have a word document type program you can do the same with notepad/wordpad as both are included with xp, :)

Elizabeth23, Aug 6, 2019
    scraperman likes this.
  17. scraperman

scraperman

I tried copy and paste into a Word document but I think it would have to be one post at a time, otherwise it gets a lot of other unwanted stuff. I am going to try Snipping the relevant parts of each screen of the topiic and save them as JPEGS. Then I can do a Photomerge in Photoshop and save it as a PDF file. That would work I think.

scraperman, Aug 6, 2019
  18. scraperman

scraperman

Yes, just done a few frames using the method above. It's a bit long-winded and best done a post at a time but it looks good in PDF form.

scraperman, Aug 6, 2019
  19. scraperman

Computer semi-expert

Oops. My earlier post should have read "I've been helped here too..."

It's the bad part of autosuggest on Android. :confused:

scraperman and Elizabeth23 like this.
  20. scraperman

Computer semi-expert

You can save webpages by pressing Control-S in most desktop web browsers.

scraperman likes this.
Ask a Question