Bought a netbook mint 19.1 how do I restore XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by Aughey, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Aughey

Aughey

I am awaiting delivery of a Toshiba NB100 Netbook Atom N270 2GB 120GB HDD. The seller installed Mint Linux 19.1. I have no knowledge of this system. It was originally Windows XP so im reckoning the licence number will still be attached underneath. How do I restore XP? What about the drivers it requires? Thanks guys

Aughey, Feb 15, 2019
  2. Aughey

Elizabeth23

if the drive has been wiped then there will be no restore partition and to install xp you will need an installation cd or flash drive, also if you attempt to use the COA that is on the bottom of OEM machines the the install cd must be the exact OS that is on the coa, for example, if it says xp home then you can only use xp home oem cd. a retail cd will come with its own product key

Elizabeth23, Feb 16, 2019
  3. Aughey

Aughey

Thanks Elizabeth23. I was passing Cex store today and they had a Western Digital 120GB 2.5 HDD for £5. I also have a DVD with XP professional which has a COA sticker on the packet.So what I want to do now is use that blank drive and just keep the one with Linux 19 as it is. My problem is the drivers as I reckon just installing windows is the easy bit. I own a USB CD drive so if I find out how to change the Toshibas boot sequence I should be able to get XP professional onto the drive that way. Any info about the drivers I need would be much appreciated Thanks again.

Aughey, Feb 16, 2019
  4. Aughey

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 17, 2019
  5. Aughey

Lex24

I would go a step further than Elizabeth23 and suggest the following sequence with some firmware components included (as long as you can find them available for your specific machine):

1) Firmware updates
    2) Boot agent update
    3) CPU microcode update
    4) BIOS update

5) Chipset driver
    6) Graphics driver
    7) Audio driver
    8) Network driver

Lex24, Feb 17, 2019
  6. Aughey

ClippyBeer

You're always better off downloading the drivers from the manufacturer's website. You should only use third party sites if the manufacturer no longer has the drivers for download.

https://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1200013549&osId=50

I don't know if Toshiba has this option but a friend of mine with a Dell All-In-One desktop had to replace his hard drive and was able to purchase restore CD's from Dell (These installed the OS, Windows 7 along with the appropriate drivers).

ClippyBeer, Feb 17, 2019
  7. Aughey

Aughey

Aughey, Feb 20, 2019
  8. Aughey

Aughey

I purchased an XP Home download from Softwarerepair world. I get as far as "The following list shows the exsisting partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer. Except it says "Unknown Disk

(There is no disk in this drive)

I happened to have an old copy of Windows XP Professional from a Dell I used to own which I tried and when it reached this same point it showed me all the disks partitions which software repair Worlds download software could not see and allowed me to format them. I stopped it at this point and retried with the download ISO but it did exactly the same thing again even suggesting I connect to a different disk

I took some photos

It then ends with Technical Information:

***STOP: 0X00000050 (0XE1OD9D98,0X00000000,0XF7419C13,0X00000001)

*** setupdd.sys - Address F7419c13 base at F73ED000, Datestamp 48025277

I installed the pro version but I have no licence key for it and they want my licence key in 30 days time.

Im stumped

Any help would be appreciated

Aughey, Feb 21, 2019
  9. Aughey

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 21, 2019
  10. Aughey

Aughey

I have given up completely on software repair world as they make claims they clearly have no intention of keeping. I emailed their heldesk which claims to get back to you in two hours. They didnt! Their phone is never answered unless you count a recorded message. Another complaint to paypal about them is called for.

Meanwhile I have another little netbook a Emachines EM250. I fortunately removed its 160HDD and instead installed a 500gig HDD and decided to upgrade it to windows 7. (THESE MACHINES DID COME WITH 7 SHORTLY AFTER I BOUGHT MINE (It was a seriously slimmed down version called Windows 7 starter so it could run on a 1 x gig machine)I had a Dell restore disk from a Dell 5040 I used to own.

I put it in a usb cd drive and it installed without even needing to go on the net to register it. However I needed to then install the drivers I downloaded from the EMachines website. All went well until I came to the driver for its wireleless adaptor. Neitrher of the downloaded ones worked. On the Emachines site there was a n app to tell you what type of hardware was installed. I ran this and the name Atheros came up. Neither driver on their site of drivers installed in my machine matched. I then reinstalled the xp harddrive and the adaptor was working perfectly PLUS in the netwoking section it listed the exact model name for the adaptor. Armed with that info I googled the Atheros site and found the correct driver (as I thought) for windos 7 too PROBLEM SOLVED - Except it wasnt

I reinstalled the 500 gig and unzilpped the driver and instructed the adapter in devices manager to install it. NO JOY it came back no driver. I thought OK this is a job for the experts so I was going to leave it to next day and take the thing to the local computer shop. However I had a brainwave. I had installed the old 160 gig HDD in a caddy which connectsby a USB cable. I plugged it in and opened Device Manager poiunted the offending adapter towards my old XP HDD and let it search for the drivers. BINGO IT WORKED It found and iunstalled the driver.

BIG MISTAKE! The installation looke great and everything was going nicely until I decided I had some capacity on my Norton account to add the netbook. So I got the downloader and fired it up. Weirdly it infomed me it could not run as my screen resolution was wrong and to change this. The slider to do this would not slide. It acted like a switch offering just two resolutions at top and bottom which looked like someone sat on top of the computer and squashed the display. Then I noticed something else going on At the very same time I was attempting the Norton download Windows decided to update too. Windows won.

This morning I switched the thing on and it had downloaded the updated all right but waited until I was wanting to use it to actually install them. At the ebd of interminable waiting it finished and blitrhey announced it had made WAIT FOR IT 33,086 Registry upgrades.

I thought OK then TWo MINUTES LATER there was a message YOUR COMPUTER NEED SOME UPDATES CLICK HERE TO CONTINUE.

I gave up at that point as we were going out. This evening I switche the thing on and it is currently installing MORE updates 63 tro be exact.

My XP HDD is going back into the little machine in the morning!!!

Aughey, Feb 22, 2019
  11. Aughey

Mike_Walsh

I'm surprised, Liz. I thought Ian had made it quite clear that links to ISO downloads were frowned upon; that it was site policy not to permit such things.

Or has site policy changed since I joined?

Mike. :eek:

Mike_Walsh, Feb 25, 2019
  12. Aughey

Aughey

Reference the dodgy download from software repair world they are a very bad company to deal with. They never answer their phone just piut you to a recorded message claiming they are busy with other customers. They claim their helpline answers querys in two hours IT NEVER answerED ANY OF MY REQUESTS OR when i asked for a working download a cd or a refund. i resorted to Paypal; quoting this line from a friend who is a soliciter -

."Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, goods should be of a satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described. My rights have been breached because the item you sold me is faulty. I would like a refund/repair/replacement."

Within a couple of days I had a refund.!

Aughey, Feb 26, 2019
  13. Aughey

Elizabeth23

mike, I was not aware of this, did he send you a pm?

Elizabeth23, Feb 26, 2019
  14. Aughey

Aughey

I did not nor have I ever asked to be directed to dowload sites for this softwa\re and I certainly never PMd anyone reference same. All I did was relate what I am trying to do and the obstacles im finding in my way. The company mentioned states it only supplies repair software (thats if you dont mind the dodgy variety).No COA codes or anthing like that. If these computer companies wont supply discs how are we supposed to fix the thing when it goes wrong. The Linux on my netbook wiped the drive so there is no recovery partition.

Aughey, Feb 27, 2019
  15. Aughey

Elizabeth23

I know you did not ask to be directed to a download link, I provided them as a courtesy as these are the only ones I would use if I needed a download of an iso. OEM companys provided install cds for as long as xp was supported, but not afterwards.You can still download linux for free.

Elizabeth23, Feb 27, 2019
  16. Aughey

Aughey

It was the tone of some of the other commenters on here made me feel like I had done something I shouldnt and I do really appreciate your trying to assist. Well I worked out why the repair diskd could not see my HDD. I hads to go into the bios and change in the Sata tab ACHI mode to IDE. When I reinstalled the disk could now see the HDD and it installed fine

EXCEPT there is now no option to use sleep/hibernate mode. Its there but its greyed out. The power settings are no help to restore it and reverting to Sata ACHI mode just sends the whole netbook into a non booting loop.

I think its entirely a software problem as when I put my cloned xp 32 HDD into the machine it works with ACHI and offers hibernate mode.In case your wonderinhg im referring to my emachines em250 netbook here.

it is far easier to swop hdds as its just a matter pof a few screws and a trapdoor under the computer. The Toshiba is a nightnmare as you need to literally strip it to bits just to get to the HDD

Aughey, Feb 28, 2019
  17. Aughey

Elizabeth23

1. Open Control Panel.
    2. Double-click the Power Options icon.
    3. In the Power Options Properties window, click the Hibernate tab.
    4. Uncheck the Enable hibernation check box to disable the feature, or check the box to enable it. This window also displays the total space required for hibernation.
    Tip: You can turn hibernation mode back on by checking the Enable hibernation check box.

do you have enough space for hibernation?

https://www.giannistsakiris.com/2009/04/08/how-to-enable-hibernate-in-windows-xp/

above has pictures, :)

Elizabeth23, Feb 28, 2019
  18. Aughey

Aughey

its a 500gig hdd and there is no hibernate option tab. I suspect this must be something to do with the fact the ionly way the computer can boot is with the bios set to IDE mode instead of AHCI

if i reset this to the former ACHI bios setting then the computer will not boot.and loops in a failure to do so.

It offers safe mode to starting normally i even see the windows welcome screen but nothing works in this mode.

Im simply going to put back the original cloned hdd which has xp 32 home which boots happily under AHCI mode and offers hibernate on this netbook.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Aughey, Feb 28, 2019
Ask a Question