Any browser at all left that will play Twitter Videos?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by jackdashack, Mar 14, 2017.

1. jackdashack

EthanStark

Direct2D is disabled, so no hardware accelerated layers or cleartype is enabled, also, H264 decoding is disabled as well. You driver is from 2009 which could explain why those features are disabled. Try updating your drivers from here Download Drivers using the automatic detection tool, there should be at least a 2010 driver for you, which should enable at least hardware acceleration for the main browser thread (therefore, accelerating your browsing experience).

If you happen to update your drivers to the latest version (at least superior than the 2009 one you currently have) and H264 decoding is still blacklisted for your GPU, look for media.hardware-video-decoding.failed: true in about:config page and set that to false, restarting your browser afterwards.

If this last works for you, Firefox could revert this setting back if any update is available, in that case, you can always create a user.js file with this pasted into it:
    Code:
    user_pref("media.hardware-video-decoding.failed", false);
    and saved in the same place your profile files are located (typicaly C:\Users\[Your Username]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[Your Profile or xxxxx.default if you use FF defaults]
    This way you will always override Firefox GPU detection.
    (I leave the file zipped with the pref for a quick use in case you need it)

But first, try updating your drivers, 2009 drvers for any AMD card are known for being blacklisted and being problematic with Firefox, I had to do that with my HD 3200 card...

Hope this helps you

Ethan Stark
    https://www.clouddesktoponline.com/

EthanStark, Jun 19, 2017
    jackdashack likes this.
  2. jackdashack

jackdashack

Thanks to you all. For some reason I have not been notified for a number of new posts. Sorry. I've read through and all was helpful. Thanks to all again! (a lot of it was updating drivers. I have not had that much success with that in the past on XP's. So I'll just put up with it and watch videos on the Win10 machine. However On the mobile devices I've installed Puffin and it is playing videos toots sweet!!! You all have been so helpful. I hope I liked every comment, that was my intent. G'day! Jack ":-Dx

jackdashack, Jun 19, 2017
  3. jackdashack

Mike_Walsh

Hey, Jack.

I'm pretty sure this was you.....unless I miss my guess by a country mile.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=106165

Or am I way out? :D

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Jun 27, 2017
    jackdashack likes this.
  4. jackdashack

trimis

Puppy will work, and no need to install if you have enough RAM. Not sure about the browsers, but there are various other apps like download managers, video players, etc., that will do it. Is there some reason why it must be a browser?

trimis, Oct 19, 2017
    jackdashack likes this.
  5. jackdashack

jackdashack

Wow! Been a long time since this was last active. I believe Puppy is Linux correct? I have made several attempts to teach myself Linux but lose interest because of not understanding. You'd think since I've fooled with pc's since 1987 I'd know. I've taught myself about everything else. My take is if I wanted to know badly enough I'd learn it. lol Thanks for taking the time. Jack ":-Dx

jackdashack, Oct 19, 2017
  6. jackdashack

trimis

I assume you know there are various online resources such as tutorials, wikis, and so on for learning Puppy or other Linux distros? Many distros (Linux Mint, PCLinuxOS, etc., have instruction books published that rival any of the six books I have on XP Pro. Don't know what sort of attempts you have made before, but there are relative painless ways to learn Linux. I will be on this road myself sometime soon, but only had this home PC a few days, so I'm reveling in once again having XP Pro, and secondly, being free of the gawd-awful environment of the library.

trimis, Oct 19, 2017
    jackdashack likes this.
  7. jackdashack

jackdashack

Yes, I have always Googled and found almost 100% of what I wanted to know. I have tried several helps with Linux. I have to say I'm just not motivated enough yet I suppose. My XP's have the hack that allow them until 2019. I do have this one I'm on which is a Windows 10 and in very good updated shape. I just hate to let the XP's sit around. Which they are doing more and more now. The only reason I don't like them that much is not the XP operating system. Like many I have never grown entirely weary of it. But most of them are so slow. I was hoping that a Linux OS would speed them up a little? My next door neighbor and friend knows Linux well. I don't know why I haven't pressed him to teach me. smh

jackdashack, Oct 19, 2017
  8. jackdashack

trimis

Puppy Linux and any others that are small enough to run via RAM are said to be faster than anything Microsoft has...unless you are running the Microsoft OS on 'ramdisk'. The library I was using has Win7, but I see no big difference in speed from my XP Pro home PC. Most of the problems I am having come from being on newbie level, even though I been using computers/internet for years now. The library doesn't let one do much...no downloading, no installing, no running software from DVD, no burning DVDs, no creating files/folders, and so on. So I'm basically starting from scratch here.

trimis, Oct 22, 2017
    jim davis and jackdashack like this.
  9. jackdashack

ChirunoIceFairy

Would installing K-Lite Codec Pack for H.264 support be a viable workaround for playing Internet video in Windows XP? I'm buying an XP netbook for £45 to relive the nostalgia of using such a great OS among other reasons like for school and long journeys, etc. - but might use it as a secondary/tertiary OS. ^^

ChirunoIceFairy, Nov 7, 2017
    jackdashack and jim davis like this.
  10. jackdashack

jim davis

Hey Jody, do you know a add on that will allow me to download all videos, as of recent some sites did "something" and my 4 k downloader wont extract some site vids, and thanks for what ever time this takes you, I know you do your research before speaking, un like my wife :eek:

jim davis, Apr 24, 2018
    jackdashack likes this.
  11. jackdashack

jim davis

That helped me get around a lot of issues, and so clean i forgot i had it till you mentioned it.

jim davis, Apr 24, 2018
    jackdashack likes this.
  12. jackdashack

trimis

I'm playing H.264 videos in XP Pro, via SRWare Iron 49.2600.0 and the extension H264ify 1.0.6, plus there is another way to get it to work in Firefox that Elizabeth pioneered, so all that rot about XP being too old to do H.264 is just blather.

trimis, May 3, 2018
    jim davis likes this.
  13. jackdashack

wyxchari

wyxchari, Aug 26, 2018
  14. jackdashack

jim davis

Elizabeth is a pioneer for sure :D
    she goes where no woman has ever gone before putting up with us

jim davis, Aug 27, 2018
    jackdashack and WindowsXPforever like this.
  15. jackdashack

Elizabeth23

thanks Jim, but a lot of advice I give here I learned through searching and research, and I like to try to give credit to whoever first gave the advice, which is why I include links for everyone to follow up with in my answers, :)

Elizabeth23, Aug 27, 2018
    jackdashack likes this.
  16. jackdashack

jackdashack

Thanks! ":-Dx jack

jackdashack, Aug 28, 2018
  17. jackdashack

jackdashack

Thanks very much! ":-Dx jack

jackdashack, Aug 28, 2018
  18. jackdashack

jackdashack