Any browser at all left that will play Twitter Videos?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by jackdashack, Mar 14, 2017.

1. jackdashack

jackdashack

Well I have sort of an XP Rescue here. Everyone gives me their old XP's. I do have my Windows 10 desktop. I've gone to Opera on all the XP's as it seems to run well, small footprint. However it can not play most all videos on Twitter. Does anyone know a way or a browser that might allow these Twitter videos to play? Thanks so very much! jackdashack ":-Dx

jackdashack, Mar 14, 2017
  2. jackdashack

jackdashack

I use the hack that will allow XP updates until 2019. Not sure what I will do after that. Someone said switch them to Linux "Puppy" ... I'll have to learn that I suppose.

trimis likes this.
  3. jackdashack

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Mar 14, 2017
    jackdashack likes this.
  4. jackdashack

jackdashack

5. jackdashack

jackdashack

Elizabeth23, much to my surprise I thought I'd spend, waste, a lot of time downloading these, installing, finding they didn't work. Peel me off the floor !!!!! The first one I tried, SRWare Iron is playing all the videos, without hitching on this old XP on 3mbps DSL. Amazing. Thanks so much. I cannot understand why Opera can't find this capability. OR ... I have not hit on the right thing with Opera. Thanks so much! Jack ":-Dx

6. jackdashack

Jody Thornton

It has to do with XP not being compatible with the H.264 codec inside a browser. There is a change in about:config for Firefox that allows it. Google Chrome allowed Twitter videos to play, but all other browsers (out of the box) do not play Twitter videos inside the browser. The videos will play if you use the video URL and open it in VLC Player though.

Jody Thornton, Mar 14, 2017
    jim davis, Ian and jackdashack like this.
  7. jackdashack

jackdashack

Jody not sure how this happened but I installed SRWare Iron browser and it is playing videos from Twitter "out of the box" as you say. It did ask me to download Flash during the install but it's working fine. I went back to Opera and tried to install Flash (I was sure I'd already done this in trying) and did that. When I opened Opera back up it was still refusing to play videos. I am happy that SRWare Iron is working and thank you for your input! jack ":-Dx

8. jackdashack

Elizabeth23

well, since firefox is going to bite the dust soon, I think I will give this srware iron browser a try myself, :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 14, 2017
    jackdashack likes this.
  9. jackdashack

jackdashack

Indeed! It's working for me on this old ThinkPad T40 laptop XP. Let us know, curious! Thanks!

10. jackdashack

Jody Thornton

Cool guys. I'm glad it worked. I'm on Windows 8, so it's not an issue. But we had an XP computer there, it we got it working.
    :)

Jody Thornton, Mar 15, 2017
    jackdashack likes this.
  11. jackdashack

jackdashack

Jody, you should read this from SRWare Forum. Essentially Iron is just Chrome, with some things gone. But it still is shown about 4 times in the Task Manager. I was looking for something small or I would have just installed Chrome. HOWEVER, having said that it does seem to run faster than the "big" brother full Chrome. It's open source and advertised as being light. But here's what was posted me when I asked why it seems Iron morphed into Chrome.

Re: Why has this new Iron morphed into another Chrome?
    Postby bksening ยป Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:39 pm

Iron has always been Chrome. All that the developer has time for is download the latest Chromium code, change the names to Iron, and change the icon.

You're logging in with the same Google account/sync that's built into Chrome. If you logged in with Google account that has Sync ON, all that account settings, preferences, and extensions will sync into Iron.

Iron is expected to look like Chrome, because there are no significant differences.

jackdashack, Mar 15, 2017
  12. jackdashack

Mike_Walsh

Well, I'm glad to hear Iron is finding favour. I've been running it for quite some time in Puppy Linux, but I did use it for a while before I finally sent XP to the great retirement home in the sky......and had no issues with it at all.

I'd recommend it to anyone who is used to the 'Chrome experience', since, as stated, it still continues to support XP. Could have something to do with the fact that the developers are German, and there is still a huge XP user-base in Germany.

Elizabeth23 said.....

'well, since firefox is going to bite the dust soon, I think I will give this srware iron browser a try myself, :)'

I'm figuring you're a long-term FF user, Liz. But, as somebody who's used Chrome since it's very first 'beta' release, back in 2008, I really would recommend this to anyone.....the more so, since the current release, 56.0.2950.1 for Windows, is incorporating considerable memory-usage changes from its parent Chromium.....which is nothing like the memory hog it once was.

Give it a try. What have you got to lose?

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    Mike_Walsh, Mar 15, 2017
    jackdashack likes this.
  13. jackdashack

jackdashack

Mike I'm glad to hear this report. I was disappointed at first finding Iron was so related to Chrome. I associate Chrome with massive memory hogging. I still see that Iron (Chrome) has at least 5 instances in the Task Manager even with just one tab open. These Xp's need small programs to remain viable. I have a list Elizabeth23 posted above of about 10 other browsers to try. Do not know whether to stay with Iron or try others. My main concern is that they be able to play videos. I missed that on Twitter. Iron plays them. I could not get Opera to play them. I wish I knew how to make an XP a Linux Puppy. I have a feeling these 4 or 5 I have will have to go that way when the updates stop for XP in 2019. I just received about 6 updates today for XP. Do you have anywhere a complete Windowphile could start to learn Puppy? I mean I know nothing. At least I have the pc's to practice and play around with. Thanks so much! Glad we still have an XP forum. Jack ":-Dx

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    jackdashack, Mar 15, 2017
  14. jackdashack

Mike_Walsh

Hiya, Jack.

Mm. Well, now; in all honesty, the very best thing you could do to start with is to spend some time 'lurking' on the Puppy Forums. Many of our new members do, before signing up. There's a wealth of information for newbies in the 'Beginners' sub-forum, including several 'stickies' aimed at helping you to get that first Puppy up-and-running.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php

The current Puppy downloads can be found here:-

http://puppylinux.com/index.html#download

------------------------------------------------------------------

(I'll be honest with you. Even by Linux standards, Puppy is considered to be an 'oddball' by the rest of the community. If you start to use the 'mainstream' releases, and then come to Puppy later, you have to unlearn stuff, and re-learn it. If, however, you start with Puppy to begin with, it's much easier.....and Puppy was primarily designed to best run with XP-era hardware. Which is why we get so many XP 'refugees'!)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I digress.

I won't hesitate to recommend Tahrpup 6.0.5 for newbies; Phil Broughton, its developer, has gone out of his way to ensure that absolutely everything works OOTB, since he's very much aware of the fact that people's impressions of anything new tend to be coloured by their first encounters with it.

I've been running it since its first release nearly 2 years ago, and it's extremely stable. If you have any 64-bit machines, try Tahr64; it's just as good.

The best way to try it out is as what's known as a LiveCD; you burn the download (the ISO file) to a blank CD (a CD-R is fine), then you set your machine to boot from that CD. This allows you to take Pup for a 'test-run', and lets you experiment to make sure Puppy is happy with your hardware.

We recommend folks to use the following small piece of software to 'burn' the ISO file to an optical disc: BurnCDCC, from Terabyte Unlimited.

https://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-free-software.htm

Download it, unzip it anywhere you like, and simply run the enclosed .exe file. It's virtually foolproof, since it only does one thing; it 'burns' an ISO file to an optical disc. That's ALL it does. Just make sure you set the burn speed as slow as possible; 2x or 4x at absolute maximum, since the slower you burn to disc, the greater the chance you have of getting it right the first time.

You very rarely need to bother with device drivers of any sort, since they're all contained in the Linux 'kernel' already; it's over 90% nothing but drivers, in fact! And with each new kernel release, it's steadily getting larger & larger, as support for more & more new devices is added.

Once you have Puppy running, as long as you're happy with it, you can then install it permanently to a USB flashdrive. This might sound a peculiar way to run an OS, but Puppy was designed to work this way right from its inception, way back in 2003. And that way, you can still run XP alongside it.....and the two won't interfere with each other.

Even on elderly hardware, Puppy runs pretty fast, since it loads entirely into, and runs from, the fastest component of any machine.....its RAM. And there's a wealth of available software, too; either from the Puppy Package Manager, or through the Forum itself, via the 'Additional Software' sub-forum, since many of our members (including myself) like to compile & build their own software packages, and if they work as they should, we then share them with the community.

However, I seem to recall that you already found the Puppy Forum a while back; didn't I put you onto it several months ago?

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Mike_Walsh, Mar 15, 2017
    jackdashack likes this.
  15. jackdashack

Elizabeth23

@jackdashack, I tried the SRWare Iron, and I did not like it, first it said I could only use an older version (49), if I wanted to do that I could just use an older version of firefox, then I had to create an account and sign in to be able to do any editing, took me awhile to figure out how to change the home page , a lot of trouble to make a bookmark, has a significant pause to ask if I want to save a password, had to sign in and out of my sites before it would ask if I wanted to save the password, when I opened my bookmarks that I transferred from firefox as an .html, it would open 2 pages one my site and another that had nothing to do with my site, the second page was full of ads, I watch putlocker a lot and the movies took longer to load than on firefox, and I had to keep deleting the extra page that loaded. and ublock origin was not available as an extension, would only let me install adblock plus.

So I uninstalled it and will try another one, :), glad you like it though. :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 16, 2017
    jackdashack likes this.
  16. jackdashack

jackdashack

WoW! I have not experienced any of that. My opinion is not set in concrete. As I said above it's related to Chrome and that threw me. And still with just one tab open there are 5 instances of Chrome in the task manager. I'm not in love with that. I'm pretty sure I'm going to try the others. Whatever it must play videos and be small. I had no trouble with the homepage, making a bookmark. It works just like Chrome did. Also I use X-marks with it. Let me know if you find one among those 10 that give you joy! haha! Thanks! jack ":-Dx

jackdashack, Mar 16, 2017
  17. jackdashack

jackdashack

Honestly I'll have to read that a couple of times to digest it. There are several things already that, like I've found in reading about Linux, they assume I know how to do it and I never have. So it's not your fault, or others but I need even a little more basic. I have a neighbor that is very well versed in all things Linux and Puppy but for some reason, while a good guy, he seems adverse to helping me with it. It couldn't take that much of his time.

Nevertheless, No, I have never joined anything Linux. Unless a section of my mind has collapsed. I don't think so. If I did it was so brief as to have passed out of my consciousness into the sub-basement of my mind. :) I may have. But I don't remember or if I did I do not remember the forum, ID or password.

I'll re-read what you have posted and see what I can make of it. Thanks so much. Jack ":-Dx

jackdashack, Mar 16, 2017
  18. jackdashack

Mike_Walsh

Liz, uBlock Origin is available as an extension (I've been running it for quite some time).....but the one big snag with the whole Google ecosystem is that you must have an a/c to be able to make full use of it. And unfortunately, that includes adding extensions/add-ons, too.

As for the password manager? Don't bother with it, myself; I've used LastPass ever since it first came onto the market.

That second page that keeps opening up, you need to go into the MainMenu (top right corner.....the three dots/'hamburger' symbol) -> Settings. Find where it says about your home page (if you have one set). You'll discover that there are, in fact, two pages set.....one being SRWare's 'localized' home page. That one wants deleting; it's SRWare's doing, nobody else's.

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Mar 16, 2017
    jackdashack likes this.
  19. jackdashack

Mike_Walsh

Hi, Jack.

Ah, I must be getting you muddled up with somebody else then. I help that many people, on so many different forums, it's all too easy to get people & situations confused!

Any questions you might have about Puppy, just ask. I'll do my best to answer them.

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Mar 16, 2017
    jackdashack likes this.
  20. jackdashack

Elizabeth23

Mike, I did delete the extra homepage that Iron had and it was opening in yahoo, which is my preferred page, the extra pages were popping up whenever I visited sites other than the home page.

it uses ublock not ublock origin :)

Anyway it is gone, I have been reading up on the alternatives listed in my link above and quite frankly I did not like any of them and contrary to what I believed not all of the listed ones will support xp for any amount of time.

I will just stay with this version and go on as best as I can. :) I did try linux, (I think it was cinnamon) it appeared to think that I was a developer type, I want a browser that I do not have to edit lots of things (spoiled aren't I :)...)

have to see what happens in sept 2017

Elizabeth23, Mar 16, 2017
    jackdashack likes this.
Ask a Question