All Service Packs available for Forum members to download...

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Mike_Walsh, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Morning, all.

Haven't been on the Forum all that long, but I've been using XP since the very beginning, and started with these boxes of tricks back in the late 70's/early 80's, so I've been round the block a time or two..!

One thing I do notice is the sheer number of people wanting one or the other of the Service Packs (1, 2 or 3). We all know they're no longer available from Microsoft, not even the standalone network installers for administrators.

I notice that Elizabeth23 has been sharing SP3 from her OneDrive account.....all credit to the lass. (*Tips hat...*)

I've had all three of these Service Packs archived on CD for some years now; genuine original Microsoft downloads, all sourced as the Network Administrator type. They've always worked perfectly. I would like to offer them as available for Forum members to download from my GoogleDrive account, since we all know how important the damn things are for XP to behave itself properly.....

The link is to a folder called "Windows 'Stuff'", and is as follows:-

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8qZGvx85BR8Vk1YenNhOHBfc28&usp=sharing

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know I can be a crusty old so-and-so these days, but I do like to help out where I can. Hope everyone finds these useful!

Mike. :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    Mike_Walsh, Mar 18, 2016
    WindowsXPforever likes this.
  2. Mike_Walsh

Elizabeth23

Great, the only one available from microsoft is the xp embedded sp3. :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 18, 2016
  3. Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Hi, Elizabeth.

Like I said, anything to help out. I know there isn't so much call for them, nowadays.....but if anybody wants them, there they are.

I thought they could clutter up my cloud account just as easily as cluttering up my desk drawers..... :p

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Mar 18, 2016
  4. Mike_Walsh

Cammygirl192

What if you're not running a recent browser? You can't use them.
    It might be easier to run an FTP server and allow the download through there :)

Cammygirl192, Mar 18, 2016
  5. Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Yah, I agree. This is, of course, one of those beloved (?!) 'eccentricities' IE suffers from.

However, since you are simply downloading these as 'files' from a GoogleDrive cloud account, rather than 'OS material' from MicroSoft's servers, there shouldn't be a problem, as far as I'm aware.

I'm willing to be proved wrong. It would, of course, help to download througj a different browser. I haven't used IE since I can't remember when, and have always run with it disabled.

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Mar 18, 2016
  6. Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

***ATTENTION ***
    -----------------------------------

Since I forgot to mention this in my original post, I feel I should point it out here. Those of you who've been 'round the block' a few times will do this automatically. This is not aimed at you, but I'm going to state it here anyway.

Although the files were double-checked, and 100% clean when they left my 'Puppy' Linux server last night, please exercise utmost caution, and treat these as you would any other download from the internet. Follow safe download procedure:-

1) Download to the desktop, nowhere else.
    2) Scan with your antivirus scanner of choice.
    3) Scan with your anti-malware scanner of choice.
    4) Backup any data which you consider to be important.

Only when you have assured yourself, as far as is possible, of the data's integrity, should you then consider running the .exe file.

I cannot be held responsible for what may have happened to the data after it left my server. Please don't blame me if you end up having to do a re-install.....it won't be my fault.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    Mike_Walsh, Mar 18, 2016
  7. Mike_Walsh

Elizabeth23

ANYONE on xp at this late day should NOT be using IE,

IE is only necessary for windows updates, :) and some programs, but if you have to use IE, run it in a sandbox.

Elizabeth23, Mar 18, 2016
  8. Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

@Elizabeth23:-

Please feel free to quote the link for the Service Packs in any other threads you may post in. No problem with that at all.....it was the whole point of making them available, when all's said & done..!

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Mar 19, 2016
  9. Mike_Walsh

Elizabeth23

Okey dokey, :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 19, 2016
  10. Mike_Walsh

aoresteen

I have long ago given up up loading SP3 for XP. We had so many XP SP3 discs from Dell & HP at work that I just use one of them that already has SP3 installed when I need to load XP.

Look around, it should not be too hard to find an OEM XP disc with SP3 already on it.

Note that you will still need a valid license key to load XP and get it running.

aoresteen, Apr 10, 2016
  11. Mike_Walsh

Elizabeth23

I slipstreamed my install cd with sp3, thank goodness, but most have not and need to install the service packs separately. :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 10, 2016
  12. Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

I must agree with Liz, here. Doesn't matter what OS or distro you're talking about, the technically-minded individuals who constitute the majority of any forum's 'regular' clientele only represent a relatively small percentage of that OS or distro's user-base.

Most of the 'great unwashed' aren't technically-minded at all; don't care what goes on 'under the hood', and, in the end run, just want their machines to work. If you're lucky enough to have had all those spare discs kicking around at work, good for you! However, it didn't take me many hours looking around when I first joined, 4 months ago, to realise that no end of people kind of assumed that the Service Packs were going to be available for ever.....that's if they ever even thought about them at all!

That's why I decided to make my archived copies (which I've had for years) available to everybody. If they help just a handful of people out of a muddle, then I'm good with that... I'm just altruistic, I guess!

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    Mike_Walsh, Apr 10, 2016
  13. Mike_Walsh

Elizabeth23

I agree with you Mike_Walsh, :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 10, 2016
  14. Mike_Walsh

ssimlai

Hi the Google Drive link really helped. Thanks a lot. I must now try installing the SP3 but with caution, because I already have downloaded one file of SP3 that I had installed in an earlier drive (that went bad later) and the computer would just go into a restart loop. Hope this shouldn't be the case here.

Basically I am looking to upgrade to SP3 just for one reason, and that is, I have a Linksys WUSB54G v4 adaptor connected to my PC which keeps getting disconnected from the internet. Upon reading further I understood that the encryption that SP2 allows is PSK and WPA-Personal and also my WUSB54g v4 adaptor has only these options whereas my new Linksys router does not have WPA-Personal, it only support WPA2-Personal. Don't know if that is the reason for "Page Cannot be Displayed" but yes I have a major issue today. Simply cannot connect to Internet.

ssimlai, May 28, 2016
  15. Mike_Walsh

ssimlai

Hi all, I have been able to update to SP3 and it is all stable. The WUSB54G v4 has started working. Internet is on. However I am unable to download any Windows Updates. I see a windows "YOUR BROWSWER IS OUT OF DATE. YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR BROWSER TO USE THE SITE. UDPATE TO THE LATEST VERSION OF INTERNET EXPLORER.". If I click that, I see "There's a problem with the website's security certificate." I clicked CONTINUE TO THE WEBSITE. It goes to a page "THE WEBPAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED".

Is there any place where all XP updates can be found in a bundle? Perhaps that might be asking for too much but I'll have a major problem if I cannot continue to work on XP. My home music studio is all set for XP, all hardware and software that I have are made for XP.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    ssimlai, May 28, 2016
  16. Mike_Walsh

Elizabeth23

automatic updates and BITS have to be set to automatic in services, you will also need to update windows updates..

go to start, all programs, and at the top, click on windows updates and when you get there it will ask you to install active x and update to microsoft updates say yes and follow the prompts, you will need to install several updates before the updates will work, it will tell you.

==========

are you getting any specific error messages?

also windows updates only works on IE

Elizabeth23, May 28, 2016
  17. Mike_Walsh

ssimlai

Thanks Elizabeth23 for the response. When I click on Windows Updates I get a Security Warning: Do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely? When I click on Yes, I get a webpage stating: "YOUR BROWSWER IS OUT OF DATE. YOU NEED TO UPDATE YOUR BROWSER TO USE THE SITE. UDPATE TO THE LATEST VERSION OF INTERNET EXPLORER.". If I click that, I see "There's a problem with the website's security certificate." I clicked CONTINUE TO THE WEBSITE. It goes to a page "THE WEBPAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED".

ssimlai, May 28, 2016
  18. Mike_Walsh

Elizabeth23

if you can get to a working pc and download to a flash drive IE8 from my onedrive, and also windows installer 4.5 , then install and then see if you can get to the update site, also before going online, ensure that you have an antivirus installed and also go to control panel, internet options and set all zones to default, and add microsoftupdate.com to the trusted zone.

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=root&cid=D7389B68B3A275AD
    look in the folder called IE8 and sp3 and installer

come back with results of the above steps.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Elizabeth23, May 29, 2016
  19. Mike_Walsh

ssimlai

Will do ASAP. For now I have landed into another problem. Computer keeps rebooting.

ssimlai, May 29, 2016
  20. Mike_Walsh

ssimlai

Hi Liz, that onedrive folder comes up empty on my computer. Is it because I am permanently logged into my own onedrive account?

ssimlai, Jun 1, 2016
Ask a Question