Will xp be usable in 5 years?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Skeleton11223, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Sadly it probably wont...unless someone makes a kernelEX for it then we would be able to run a ton of software we just have to wait and see.
    What do you guys think?

Skeleton11223, Oct 16, 2016
  2. Skeleton11223

Elizabeth23

if my hardware lasts that long , I do not see why not, I only use my pc to surf, office to write letters and WMP to listen to music,

Mostly , I just play solitaire, and spider solitaire. :)

Elizabeth23, Oct 16, 2016
  3. Skeleton11223

cornemuse

For what I do, XP works just fine, , , ,

I'm a retired bulldozer driver & have never needed a computer!

cornemuse, Oct 17, 2016
  4. Skeleton11223

Dibya

HI i am working on EXtended it will make xp run many mordern stufs .

Dibya, Oct 20, 2016
  5. So is your extendedxp like kernelex for xp? If so then we could use it for more than 5 years.

Skeleton11223, Oct 20, 2016
  6. Skeleton11223

Gryff

With the rate at which software (even just websites by themselves) are advancing, I think it'll all depend on if there'll still be a community to keep it alive.
    One programmer can't keep the whole OS afloat in terms of compatibility with new software, but a whole community of them can do amazing things.

Gryff, Nov 15, 2016
  7. Skeleton11223

Joe511

Get a good antivirus and ur good to go!

Joe511, Nov 15, 2016
  8. Skeleton11223

trimis

Long ago the Microsoft propaganda machine squealed about the imminent demise of Win98. To this day there are those still using it. Long ago the Microsoft propaganda machine squealed about the imminent demise of Win2000. To this day there are many still using it. Not so long ago the Microsoft propaganda machine squealed about the imminent demise of XP....is anyone else seeing a pattern of deception here? The users of Win98 & Win2000 solved their problem by banking software and hardware. I see no reason why that would not work for us.

trimis, Oct 19, 2017
    cmccaff1, Janice and Elizabeth23 like this.
  9. Skeleton11223

Lockherup

Don't listen to the technocratic futurists who predict what will happen by telling you what they want to happen. When they're saying you have to upgrade or this or that will go away they are telling you that because that's what they want to happen for their own interests. Interestingly its always a gigantic company like MS or google saying things like that.

Lockherup, Aug 27, 2018
  10. Skeleton11223

cmccaff1

As long as you have software that does what you need it to do XPwill ALWAYS be usable no matter what year it is. The main thing that keeps me on XP now is the fact that my day-to-day activities require the use of a modern web browser; if that wasn't a factor then I could safely go back to Windows 9x, or even 3.1, and be perfectly content.

3.1 isn't too good for browsing these days--I don't think any 3.1-compatible browsers have any HTTPS support--but 9x has some decent options, even in 2018. 95, for example, can go all the way up to Opera 10.63 (and, if I'm not mistaken, that's the only 95-compatible browser with HTML5 support, even though it's rudimentary by today's standards), while 98SE has support for Opera 12.02, Firefox 10ESR, and even K-Meleon 74 (forked from Firefox 24ESR) with KernelEx. I don't recommend trying the newer K-Meleon, but Opera 12 & Firefox 10 both run stable. Ideally it's best to stick with browsers that were designed for your OS, especially when you're not experienced with computers. Opera 9/10 and Firefox 1/2 were designed for 9x, and while they are lacking much in web compatibility compared to newer versions they still work very well for all the basic sites and even a few (not many) newer ones. Of course, it helps to keep JavaScript turned off as much as possible; most websites these days are script-heavy, and when you have a site with a lot of scripts it can bring the older JS engines in these older browsers to a crawl.

cmccaff1, Sep 14, 2018
  11. Skeleton11223

trimis

Unfortunately, it's more than just "a gigantic company like MS or google saying things like that". It's also the ever growing legion of parrots, cheerleaders, and brainless minions endlessly repeating every bit of propaganda that M$ or Apple or Facebook (or whoever) spews forth, and swearing it to be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but.

I bought my used PC with XP Pro pre-installed back in September or October, so it has been on the net now for a year, or nearly so, and that's at least 6 hours a day, 6 to 7 days a week. So far I've had to deal with 3 or 4 PUPs (which Malwarebytes & AdwCleaner quickly euthanized), and I do have a malware-like browser (Opera 9.01) that refuses to be nuked, but otherwise a whole lot of nothing. So where are all the bigtime viruses, keyloggers, trojans, & zombienets that MS and their lapdogs (raymond.cc, bleepingcomputer, etc.) keep threatening me with? Guess absolutely everywhere except my PC! Not that this testimonial, or anything else, will stop MS from propagandizing, or their toadies from swearing on the head of their firstborn that every word is truth! Seems like M$ has taken a lesson from history (https://lj.libraryjournal.com/blogs/annoyedlibrarian/2014/08/04/the-lesson-from-a-hoax/). At least greed is their motivation, but as for their parrots, there is no excuse.

trimis, Sep 15, 2018
    Janice, cmccaff1 and Elizabeth23 like this.
  12. Skeleton11223

cmccaff1

That's a major benefit of using XP and older Windows versions--in 2018 they are among the most hacker-proof OSes anyone can run. As far as Opera 9.01, I'm sorry about your bad experience, but I hope that it has not soured you on Opera as a whole. I used Opera 9.64 for many years, and it proved very reliable/trustworthy. Eventually I had to ditch it in favor of newer versions when HTML-5 became a big thing (Opera 9.x and early 10.x versions have little to no HTML-5 support), but it still works fine for older sites. In fact, it's the last version of Opera I know of that properly supports backgrounded .mid playback on Geocities-era sites (though it could also be 10.10, since under the hood it's fairly similar). Opera 10.x and earlier support Windows down to Win95 (Opera 3.62 and earlier support Win3.1).

Nowadays, I use Opera 12.18 (the last version that uses the Presto engine)--I keep JavaScript turned off as much as possible, and have animated images/plug-ins disabled. It runs like lightning on a Pentium 4, and should be quite fast on a Pentium III too. Of course, that's not my main browser...I'm now using Mypal for sites that Opera can no longer handle (every giant meets its fate).

cmccaff1, Sep 15, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  13. Skeleton11223

trimis

Sorry, but I wouldn't touch any Opera, or that new browser derivative of it (forgot its name) with a ten foot pole. Any app that cannot be uninstalled by normal means, nor by IObit uninstaller, CCleaner, nor even by specialized programs like FileASSASSIN, Lockhunter, etc., meets all my criteria for malware. Fortunately, I have a tech guy on retainer, so I'm sure he can nuke it on his monthly visit, though how long it will take is the question. As I only have him for an hour, that time could of been better spent on other things.

I am quite impressed with Mypal browser. Hard to believe it's a derivative of that gawd-awful Pale Moon. Like night and day! So far not even one CA nazi whinefest about bad security certificates, and how they must protect me by blockading me from that site. Mypal did not even hesitate on any of the Putlocker sites that sends SRWare Iron into a frenzy of protectionism, and even better, it actually plays the movie or TV show. Never did get Firefox or IceDragon to work with Flash or HTML-5 (another job for my Super Tech Guy).

trimis, Sep 16, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  14. Skeleton11223

cmccaff1

You know what? I can't blame you one bit. That's your choice, and in the end whatever makes you happy is what counts the most. For older computers with single-core processors and/or 512MB of RAM or less, Opera is perhaps the best modern browser in my experiences. In my case, I'm using an old HP Compaq DC5000 SFF with a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 (Prescott), & Opera's easily the fastest browser of all the ones I've tried. Mypal doesn't run quite as fast, but it has the compatibility with modern websites Opera lacks.

One bad experience can ruin everything. I know my grandfather (God bless his soul, may he rest in peace) had a bad experience in the Air Force (he served in the Korean War) when the mess hall chef served him some undercooked lima beans. He was puking his guts out in the bathroom and got stomach pains you wouldn't believe. From that day on he was completely done with lima beans, though my mom got him to try her lima beans one night. He enjoyed them but other than that one exception he was done with them.

I never found Pale Moon to be 'awful,' but I will admit that earlier releases (when they were still forking from 24ESR) were already seeming dated when I used them; they worked fine for most sites, but when you tried to load a site that had copious amounts of JS (like the main Twitter and Facebook sites, as opposed to their legacy fallbacks) it would slow to a crawl and/or fail to display a lot of elements properly. Newer versions are more stable and don't have issues with JS-heavy sites (when they started forking from 38ESR that solved the compatibility issue almost immediately). I did get a blue-screen with Mypal earlier today while I was using Twitter, but other than that it's been absolutely golden. Looking forward to seeing how the development progresses with Mypal.

cmccaff1, Sep 16, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  15. Skeleton11223

trimis

Don't exactly recall which version of Pale Moon I had (26.?). Either the last, or next to the last version for XP. I do remember constant whining about security errors, refused to install the 'Skip Cert Error' Firefox add-on, could not get it to play any videos, more than a few crashes, and seem to recall it had a crappy minimalist toolbar similar to Chrome/Chromium browsers. Definitely not as bad as Opera, since I got rid of it with minimal fuss, but not a good browser. I'd rate it about on the level of K-Meleon or Maxthon or Midori....on the bare minimum edge of usability

Been looking over the Mypal site, and don't see any 'contribute' option. Typical. Those that want my money don't deserve it, and them I would contribute to don't want it! Have you heard anything about this Basilisk browser
    supposedly being developed for XP? So far, all I see is 'Advanced Chrome' on offer, and cannot find out much about it. Guess with Google going full steam ahead into censorship, that should not surprise me.

trimis, Sep 16, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  16. Skeleton11223

cmccaff1

I agree with you. Older (pre-27.x) versions of Pale Moon are good for checking your e-mails (if you're using legacy Gmail and/or Yahoo Mail) and social networking (if you're using the legacy Facebook/Twitter sites), as well as looking things up on Google, Wikipedia, etc. and browsing older/simpler websites. They can also come in handy on systems with low RAM, but for modern/more demanding tasks they aren't always reliable. Pale Moon 27 marked a major turning point for the better, and 28 only improved upon the many things 27 already does right. Thankfully post-26.x Pale Moon forks are available for WinXP, and quite frankly they couldn't have come at a better time.

Basilisk, if I'm not mistaken, is an extension/continuation of Firefox 52ESR. Much of the source code is forked from 52, but it will continue to receive security updates (Mozilla retired 52 with the 52.9.1 update a week or so ago [Tinderbox build]). The man (team?) behind Mypal has forked Basilisk to WinXP under the title "Centaury," so it should be getting updates on the same schedule as Mypal. While Pale Moon and its forks are meant to provide a browser that has modern web support but simultaneously is a throwback to older browsers in feel & design, Basilisk is meant to work and feel a lot like modern Firefox.

Advanced Chrome, IIRC, combines elements of Chrome 48 & 49 with code from newer Chromium versions (51 and 54). It is a good choice for dual-core/multi-single-core-based systems (Chrome 49/Opera 36 are also still good choices). Maxthon has ported (closed-source, sadly) Chromium 61 code and the best support for modern web standards, but for many reasons I cannot recommend it at this time.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    cmccaff1, Sep 16, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  17. Skeleton11223

trimis

The Pale Moon version I had was nearly useless for going on the web. The same sites the CA nazis have me blockaded from on chrome/chromium browsers were just as blocked on Pale Moon, and without the 'Skip Cert Error' add-on, it was useless so I ditched it. No idea how Mypal is circumventing those creeps without that add-on, but mighty glad it does!

I'm not seeing Basilisk for XP (https://www.basilisk-browser.org/requirements.shtml) at its home site, nor any download link at ~ https://msfn.org/board/topic/177125-my-build-of-new-moon-temp-name-aka-pale-moon-for-xp/?page=25. Am I missing something? I'd like to give it a try.

So is Advanced Chrome any more privacy oriented than Chrome/Chromium? Does it use the CA nazis embedded security certificates store in XP?

trimis, Sep 18, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  18. Skeleton11223

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Sep 18, 2018
    trimis and cmccaff1 like this.
  19. Skeleton11223

cmccaff1

Adv.Chrome, in my experiences, was quite straightforward. No issues with security certificates there or in Chrome 49, from what I can remember. Both browsers can be quite secure if you tweak the settings sufficiently and install helpful extensions (thankfully, the latest versions of extensions I used to enjoy in Chrome, including uBlock Origin, still work in these older XP-compatible versions; for all the things I've never liked about Chrome, that is one of its big pluses).

cmccaff1, Sep 18, 2018
    trimis likes this.
  20. Skeleton11223

trimis

trimis, Sep 21, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
Ask a Question