AUDIO stuttering and mouse glitch issue all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by boss1968, Apr 26, 2024.

1. boss1968

boss1968

Guys,
    Just today, I started to have an issue with my pc computer audio, obviously running on XP.
    It stutters, when I do anything using sound, be it a game playing, or music playing, or even just random sound bites that the computer uses, like pings and beeps, etc.
    It doesn't stutter all the way through, say on game music, but it will do so several times during the song/audio.
    I thought perhaps it was one particular game program that was causing the problem, but it is happening on other games, as well as basic computer audio.
    Also, when the stuttering glitch occurs, my mouse seems to either freeze or jump ahead, at the same exact time.
    I have NEVER seen this type of an issue on my XP computer.
    I had a soundcard replaced, back in August, but even before that, I have never had this type of audio glitch issue.
    Is it possible that the soundcard is having issues ? But if so, why would it cause my mouse to glitch, also ?
    Anyhoo, if someone can shed some light on this, I would be very grateful.
    Thanks !

boss1968, Apr 26, 2024
  2. boss1968

Borg

Check I/O activity. If you IDE/SATA controller starts dying it might results such problems.
    You can also try check perfmon for IRQs and DPCs to see if in moment of stall there are unusual high activity.

Borg, Apr 26, 2024
  3. boss1968

boss1968

Thank you so much for your response! Honestly, I'm not very tech savvy, so a lot of the things you mentioned in your description I don't understand. Is there a step by step basic guide you can give me to check the steps you mentioned? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

boss1968, Apr 26, 2024
  4. boss1968

Borg

If you are not very tech sawy, then it might be hard. What is your Windows XP language version? If its en_US then I can give you my simple tool for basic perf stats. At least you may try to correlate I/O activity with stalls.

Other solution is to go to device mamanger, and disable audio card to see if shutter is gone.

Borg, Apr 27, 2024
  5. boss1968

boss1968

Yes, my language version is en_US, so I would need everything in English. Thankfully, and God willing, I haven't had that problem in two days. Both the audio and mouse have been working normally. Is it possible that this could have been a one-time glitch of some sort ?

boss1968, Apr 28, 2024
  6. boss1968

Borg

Borg, Apr 28, 2024
    boss1968 likes this.
  7. boss1968

boss1968

Thank you! So, my next question would be, if this problem does reoccur, what is the solution to the problem? Is there a fix? Thanks!

boss1968, Apr 28, 2024
  8. boss1968

Borg

Heh, first you need to diagnose where the problem is. Maybe its mobo itself (IDE/SATA controller or capacitors?). Then, you can start thinking if this is fixable. Anyway, good luck.

Borg, Apr 29, 2024
Ask a Question