Your windows xp Laptop or computer Meets the Requirements To run Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Leokids, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Leokids

Leokids

Note: This is for everyone Who want To Do like that with a Windows xp Computer!

Your Windows xp laptop Or computer meets The requirements To run Windows 10? If yes. Upgrade it!

Why?

Because Windows xp is Unsupported. iF You use windows xp It will be not receiving Updates.

Lets go start it!

Leokids, Jun 20, 2019
  2. Leokids

j896

No THANKS..

j896, Jun 21, 2019
  3. Leokids

Bita123

I'm using Win 10. I think it's one of the best operating systems that I have ever used.

Bita123, Jun 25, 2019
    Lia45 likes this.
  4. Leokids

priscus

As long as you are happy with surveillance capitalism: being herded into spending and voting preferences to satisfy the agenda of someone other than yourself!

I use W10, BUT NOT A LOT!

I use XP, because it can do things that I cannot do with W10!

Yes, there are issues: security and remaining compatible as software/apps further developed.

But, mostly I use LINUX, and would urge all to consider so doing!

(Notwithstanding what I say elsewhere, that absolute novices struggle with Linux!)

ps I am absolutely amazed the you can select privacy preferences in W10, only for MS update to reset them back to MS's corporate preference!:(

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    priscus, Jun 25, 2019
    jim davis and tingspace like this.
  5. Leokids

priscus

This hijacking of settings in W10 can be very frustrating.

Sometimes you can just reset.

Other times you get stupid lock-out with message that the setting is managed by your organisation.

That is fair enough were an organisation is involved, but when it is your private home device, and you are told to contact your administrator, when it is you that are administrator, it is damned frustrating.

OK, search engine will usually (eventually) lead you to a route out of said impasse, but it is time consuming, and frustrating when you desire to be getting on with tasks you intended to work upon!

This phenomenon has captured its own tag line "Whose computer is this, anyway?" Such behaviour, software hijacking your hardware is nothing more than Microsoft Malware!

priscus, Jun 25, 2019
  6. Leokids

priscus

Sorry, that should have read 'Where an organisation.....'

Too late to edit, when error in grammar observed.

priscus, Jun 26, 2019
  7. Leokids

WindowsXPforever

Why should i be upgraded from XP,the greatest and most beloved OS in history that is 99% usable! My XP desktops originally came with spydows 10 but i putten XP on them. INFACT if you know how to configure XP to it's max security + plus being updated with POSReady 2009 updates until 2019,June, i'm fine with it. And this whole "XP iS uNsUpPoRtEd, uPgRaDe to 7 or 10 bEcAuSE xP dOeSn'T rEcEiVE UpDAtEs" gives me a headeack even reading it, oh lord...

WindowsXPforever, Jul 11, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  8. Leokids

cornemuse

You might be better served on a '10' forum, , , , ,

cornemuse, Jul 12, 2019
    Janice and tingspace like this.
  9. Leokids

cornemuse

FWIW, I installed 10 on my laptop. Fortunately, (big sigh), I had swapped hdds & installed 10 on an empty hdd. Swapped 7 back real quick.
    10 made me feel like a small child, dont know anything, dont know what to do, daddy bILL gATES will take care of you! Just do as i say. A "baby monitor" on your computer, watching your every move, , , ,

cornemuse, Jul 12, 2019
    Janice and Elizabeth23 like this.
  10. Leokids

WindowsXPforever

Daddy Gates is no longer the daddy since ~2006. Now Satya( *cough cough Satan Cough cough*) Nadella takes care of every Crapdows 10 user ;)

WindowsXPforever, Jul 15, 2019
  11. Leokids

Leokids

sORRY for Much time. I will respond For you...

Because What Microsoft Have said. Read This.

What is Windows XP end of support?
    Microsoft provided support for Windows XP for the past 12 years. But the time came for us, along with our hardware and software partners, to invest our resources toward supporting more recent technologies so that we can continue to deliver great new experiences. As a result, technical assistance for Windows XP is no longer available, including automatic updates that help protect your PC.
    Microsoft has also stopped providing Microsoft Security Essentials for download on Windows XP. If you already have Microsoft Security Essentials installed, you'll continue to receive antimalware signature updates for a limited time. However, please note that Microsoft Security Essentials (or any other antivirus software) will have limited effectiveness on PCs that do not have the latest security updates. This means that PCs running Windows XP will not be secure and will still be at risk for infection.
    What happens if I continue to use Windows XP?
    If you continue to use Windows XP now that support has ended, your computer will still work but it might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Internet Explorer 8 is also no longer supported, so if your Windows XP PC is connected to the Internet and you use Internet Explorer 8 to surf the web, you might be exposing your PC to additional threats. Also, as more software and hardware manufacturers continue to optimize for more recent versions of Windows, you can expect to encounter more apps and devices that do not work with Windows XP.

How do I stay protected?
    To stay protected now that support has ended, you have two options:
    Upgrade your current PC
    Very few older computers are able to run Windows 10, which is the latest version of Windows. We recommend that you check out the Windows 10 specifications page to find out if your PC meets the system requirements for Windows 10. For more detailed information, read the FAQ.
    Get a new PC
    If your current PC can't run Windows 10, it might be time to consider shopping for a new one. Be sure to explore our great selection of new PCs. They're more powerful, lightweight, and stylish than ever before—and with an average price that's considerably less expensive than the average PC was 14 years ago.
    Find your perfect PC
    Move your files, folders, and more—for free
    Microsoft has partnered with Laplink to bring you PCmover Express—a tool for transferring selected files, folders, and more from your old Windows PC to your new Windows 10 PC.
    And for a limited time, you can download PCmover Express for free.
    Get started

If You want To keep Windows xp Its okay. But... Its is unsupported now.

Leokids, Jul 29, 2019
  12. Leokids

cornemuse

Or, you can 'moon' bILL & stay with XP.

"Daddy Gates is no longer the daddy"
    He still 'represents' microsoft, , , ,

cornemuse, Jul 30, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  13. Leokids

Mike_Walsh

.....which is precisely what I've been trying (mostly unsuccessfully) to persuade forum members to do for the past couple of years.

Keep your XP boxes by all means. Disconnect them from the 'net, and use them for all your cherished, beloved software that runs better on XP than any later version.

But for anything web-facing, run Linux; it's safer , and more secure, by design.....and mostly there's nobody watching your every move, trying to make money out of it. (Ok, there's Ubuntu, but anybody with any sense quickly moves onto something more sensible (like Linux Mint.)) Looks like Windows, and isn't too hard to get the hang of.

Or, there's always 'Puppy'. Designed to run from a USB stick, just plug 'er in, and re-boot whenever you need to go on-line. Shut 'er down, and boot back into XP when you're finished. Puppy can even be installed inside Windows XP, along with a boot menu that lets you select which one you want to use.....

The key thing is to make sure your personal data is secure. You can always re-install an operating system.....but it's much, MUCH harder to replace things that may have taken you years to collect.

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Aug 2, 2019
    trimis likes this.
  14. Leokids

WindowsXPforever

I was never and won't be a Linux user and i won't disconnect my XP's from the internet because it's "unsupported". I'm a power user so i wouldn't care less. At the moment i installed XP x64 edition( Really fast because of the server 2003 x64 kernel btw) and updated it with server 2003 updates + the 2019 patch too :)

WindowsXPforever, Aug 2, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  15. Leokids

Computer semi-expert

WindowsXPforever: you are putting yourself at risk by leaving your XP computers online all the time. A suggestion: install some version of Linux (Puppy will work, but you can't listen to Mike too much; I think he's addicted to Puppy. :D). After that, install some sort of firewall/antivirus/Internet defense system on Linux. Then run all your Internet through Linux in order to scan for viruses.
    I am something of a power user as well, but I would never risk losing everything to a virus like that (although a short connection is okay every once in a while).
    For a cheap computer you can install Linux on, go to www.pine64.com

Computer semi-expert, Aug 2, 2019
    Mike_Walsh likes this.
  16. Leokids

esyede

It might not play Crysis. But, it does play Battlezone. So, i'm good

esyede, Aug 2, 2019
    ZeroDayDefender likes this.
  17. Leokids

ClippyBeer

I have Windows 10 on one of my PCs - not a big fan especially after an automatic update from 1709 to 1803 disabled printing. Spent several hours trying to resolve including removing/reinstalling HP printer drivers. Nothing. Had to revert back to 1709. Automatic updates were subsequently disabled. I Also have 8.1 on my work laptop. Comparing the 2 versions it's plain to see Windows 10 is really Windows 8.2. Both are slower to load, slower to shutdown than their predecessors.

Windows 7 is my daily driver and probably will be long after the cutoff date in 2020. I don't use any anti-virus or firewall. Never needed it, never will. I'm the best protection I have against any online threat. The only reason I stopped using XP as my main OS was due to lack of modern application/hardware support, not the lack of OS updates. This will probably be the same reason I stop using Windows 7 at some point.

I have used Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Mint and Slax. They are all good very Windows replacements - unless you're a PC gamer.

But no, I will not be upgrading to the newest shiny version of any software or OS because security updates stop. That's for noobs, and only a noob would think that having a fully patched system means you are invulnerable to malware.

ClippyBeer, Aug 3, 2019
    Mike_Walsh and ZeroDayDefender like this.
  18. Leokids

Mike_Walsh

@ WindowsXPforever:-

Heavens above, man, nobody's suggesting you stop being an XP user. I had a lot of fun running mine for many years, but all good things come to an end, and the way the web's going, you have to use your head a bit. If you don't like the idea of having to re-boot into Linux to go on-line, then run a VM inside XP, and run Puppy - or other Linux - inside of that. Puppy's the lightest, though, and will use relatively little space.

(*Yawn...*) Yeah, yeah; I've heard it all before. It's not big, nor brave - and certainly not sensible - to take such an attitude. But hey! why should I care? It's not my problem, at the end of the day.....

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Aug 7, 2019
  19. Leokids

ClippyBeer

Hahahaha! See what happens when you drunk post?

I'm very curious to know exactly how many operating systems you've used to have formulated this opinion.

I've used all Windows version from 3.1 - to 10. 10 is the most bloated and difficult to administer (many of the advanced system administration features are hidden or require hacks, such as having to create a new registry key just to disable the privacy invasive telemetry features or having to use group policy editor to stop automatic updates). My favorite Windows versions are 98, XP and now 7. As stated, I stopped using 98 and XP when the developers of the applications I use regularly stopped supporting those OSes. Purchasing new hardware that supported those older OSes also became problematic as drivers weren't available.

I will continue to use Windows 7 until the same thing happens. There are plenty of Linux distros out there for me to switch to. Most of the apps I use have Linux versions and I already have MS Office 2013 running in Wine under Linux so I'm covered. Looks like my future Windows use will be strictly for games.

ClippyBeer, Aug 8, 2019
    tingspace and priscus like this.
  20. Leokids

Dyehard

Let’s NOT.
    I’ll stick with XP.
    Gates will have to try and get by on $85 billion net worth.

Dyehard, Aug 15, 2019
    jim davis and Janice like this.
Ask a Question