XP won't recognize either an SD card reader or my camera..

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by turtlelaura67, Jun 24, 2013.

1. turtlelaura67

turtlelaura67

I recently got a new (well, new to me) computer to replace my faithful Dell that died on me a few weeks back. Like the new one, the old one ran on XP and I never had any problems downloading pictures from either my Dynex card reader or my camera. Anyway, this one won't recognize either. If I plug the reader into the USB port the blue light comes on, like always, but no "new hardware found" message nor any other message comes up. If I attach the camera (Nikon D50), the camera's screen reads "PC," but the computer doesn't acknowlege it, either.

I did a bit of Googling and discovered that if XP hasn't been updated with service pack 3, it won't automatically install drivers. So, I just installed SP3 but still no luck. I have shut down and restarted my PC twice, but nothing. Any hints?

turtlelaura67, Jun 24, 2013
  2. turtlelaura67

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jun 24, 2013
  3. turtlelaura67

Elizabeth23

also get fully updated at Microsoft updates, do a high priority scan and install all, then do a custom scan and install any optional rootkit updates.

Elizabeth23, Jun 24, 2013
  4. turtlelaura67

The Cars

Thanks

The Cars, Jul 21, 2013
  5. turtlelaura67

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 17, 2016
  6. turtlelaura67

jim davis

WARNING I have SP3, its good to have, lets you access the last of many XP things.

I can not get my camera phone device to come up easy on my xp, and when it does i get get my flash sticks re named all over the place, it changes my front USB port from G to F
    etc.

your camera should have a device connector from the manufacturer, find it use it.
    mine will not down load cause my xp is refusing MSI files, :eek:

but thats for another thread
    :)

jim davis, Jul 20, 2017
  7. turtlelaura67

Elizabeth23

my camera connects thru a usb cable from camera to usb port, windows and my antivirus detect it (no camera software installed) and I can open it from my computer or from my antivirus dialog box where it scans it as I have my computer to disable all drives to open flash drives, and/or storage devices

Elizabeth23, Jul 20, 2017
  8. turtlelaura67

jim davis

""my camera connects thru a usb cable from camera to USB port""

so does everybody's i think, all my phones and camera's have, but my kyrocera phone wrecks my flash drive listings, i have to pull all 4 in back of my computer and put back in again, and the port I put the phone in, always ends up with a different initial then it had before putting phone in, the program to stop all this from the company will not down load, facts are--kyrocera makes such primitive devices I don't think it would change much if the program did down load, I have a kid with a ten dollar camera, no program, it pops up
    under computer, you click open, down load pics unplug--no problem, a ten dollar camera!!!

I will google USB driver updates, but suspect most available now are commercial
    data spyware, since MS screwed millions of people to push 10 down our throats

jim

jim davis, Jul 22, 2017
  9. turtlelaura67

Elizabeth23

you can assign a drive letter to your camera in disk management, whenever I plug in a new flash drive, (I have several with different things on them) I change the letter as it always assigns an F (the first blank letter in the list) I give it a letter that I want and then ever after it will remember that letter,unless I reinstall and then have to reassign all over again, :)

Elizabeth23, Jul 22, 2017
Ask a Question