XP Windows Explorer - Open in Simple View

No matter what I do I can't get Windows Explorer to open in simple view. I want explorer to open without the Folders pane automatically opening each time.

In folder options I have the "Display simple view . . . . . " clicked. I clicked "Apply to all folders". I even tried "Reset All Folders" and "Restore Defaults" and the folders pane still opens each time I open explorer. The target for explorer is set properly as "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe" but that doesn't seem to matter.

Once upon a time, it worked and now it doesn't. Any ideas? It's driving me crazy.

Paul

... option "Use Windows classic folders". I would also click on the "View" tab and click "Apply to All Folders" just to make sure it makes it to all the folders already cached.

There's a small chance that you might need to clear the existing stored folder settings, but I've never had to do that. Just in case, remove the two registry keys below. Or, paste all the lines below into Notepad, save it with a file extension ".reg" and double-click to have regedit delete the entries for you (Tip: tacking on a minus sign deletes the key; leaving it out creates the key).

REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags]

===========================

If you are using Windows XP Professional Edition, you may also use the Group Policy Editor to configure this setting:

Click Start, Run and type gpedit.msc
Go to the following branch:

User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows components | Windows Explorer

Double-click Turn on classic shell and set it to Not Configured
Exit the Group Policy Editor

above from here:

http://askville.amazon.com/disable-File-Folder-Tasks-Windows-XP/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=3476403

Last edited:
I am using Windows Professional. I opened the Group Policy window.

Under User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Windows components | are two folders; one for Windows Media Player and the other for Windows Update. There is no "Windows Explorer" folder or file shown.

I also created and ran the registry edit you suggested. The dialog box at the end indicated that it ran successfully. I rebooted the computer.

I checked all the settings, "Use Windows classic folders". clicked "Apply to All Folders", etc. just I had done previously. The behavior is the same as before; Explorer still opens with the Folders pane displayed.

I added the missing components, found Windows Explorer, double-clicked "Turn on classic shell" and set it to "Not Configured" - in fact it was already set to not configured. I exited the Group Policy Editor. No change - explorer still opens with the folders pane showing.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812003

use the troubleshooting section of the article above.

also restart pc after each change to check effect and set changes.

========================

if this does not work, then I think you might have malware, possibly.

1. what is your current antivirus??

2. do you have other scanners installed??

3. do the following to insure pc is clean:

Download, install, update and do full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

Remove all found, reboot, and run again until scans run clean, these can be removed afterwards if you so choose. Run scans one at a time, please.

I'll have a look at the Microsoft article tomorrow; ready to shut down for the day (in Switzerland).

Quickly, my current antivirus is Avast and I also run Microsoft Defender. I am behind a router firewall, set properly, as well as a Comodo firewall. I use malwarebytes routinely and every scan comes out clean. No other unusual behavior so I don't think it can be malware.

Thanks for hanging in there with me.

This is the first of two replies for today. Here are the results of the security check. I see that my Java is out of date, I'll update it today. I don't use IE at all but I have to have the basic version so that the rest of the system functions.

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.79
Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86
Internet Explorer 8
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Disabled!
WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
MVPS Hosts File
SpywareBlaster 5.0
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Windows Defender
Windows Defender Signatures
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300
CCleaner
Java 7 Update 45
Java SE Development Kit 7 Update 25
Java version out of Date!
Adobe Flash Player 12.0.0.44
Mozilla Firefox (27.0.1)
Mozilla Thunderbird (17.0.5)
Google Chrome 32.0.1700.102
Google Chrome 32.0.1700.107
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
Windows Defender MSMpEng.exe
Windows Defender MSASCui.exe
Comodo Firewall cmdagent.exe
Comodo Firewall cfp.exe
Windows Defender MsMpEng.exe
Windows Defender MSASCui.exe
Alwil Software Avast5 AvastSvc.exe
Alwil Software Avast5 AvastUI.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C:: 16% Defragment your hard drive soon! (Do NOT defrag if SSD!)
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

This is the second of the two replies for today:

I had tried "%SystemRoot%\explorer.exe /n" before I had asked for help on this forum and it didn't help - explorer still opened with the folders pane open. I tried it again and strangely, it now works, i.e., explorer opens in simple view. I ran it from the "Run" dialog and although it opens in simple view properly it doesn't remember my last window setting, size or location. But, if I create a desktop shortcut such as "C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /root,C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\" then explorer remembers its size and location on the screen and opens properly in simple view.

Any idea why this happens? Are there other problems. The reason I ask is that opening My Documents or My Computer with their respective shortcuts still has the folders pane open.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812003

use the troubleshooting section of the article above.

also restart pc after each change to check effect and set changes.

I read the microsoft troubleshooting section of the page you recommended. I changed the BagMRU Size in each of the registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam

from 5000 to 10000 (hexidecimal 2710). I do have thousands of files. Rebooted but no change in explorer behavior. I stepped through all of the other suggestions but none of them made any difference.

Scans

I ran superantispyware and it didn't find much.

- 7 Adware tracking cookies, google accounts cookies and text files. I'm not sure I would call them adware.
- Oreans32 driver and the services it uses. It was part of software that I no longer use so I had superantispyware erase those entries anyhow.
- 5 trojansimulator zip files which I use for testing purposes. Not exactly a false positive but it found the trojan name that was in all 5 filenames.

Nothing else, but I rebooted and there was no change in explorer behavior.

I updated and ran Malewarebytes and it found nothing.

One other behavior that I'll throw into the mix:

In my first reply today I wrote "If I create a desktop shortcut such as "C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /root,C:\Documents and Settings\Paul\My Documents\" then explorer remembers its size and location on the screen and opens properly in simple view.

That is still true, but if I double-click a sub-folder in the window that the shortcut just opened then the sub-folder opens in a new window with the folders pane open even though I have "Open each folder in the same window" clicked in the General settings of folder options.

for your FIRST reply below is my security check, your avast antivirus is not listed under antivirus!!

is the Security Center service running on your machine??
Does it say antivirus is installed??
As long as none of the spyware types are running in real time, only antivirus should be running in real time, all the rest should be ondemand.
Will go on to your second reply in my next reply :)

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.72
Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86
Internet Explorer 8
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
avast! Antivirus
Antivirus up to date!
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
SpywareBlaster 5.0
Secunia PSI (2.0.0.4003)
VirusTotal Uploader 2.2
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300
CCleaner
Adobe Flash Player 12.0.0.44
Mozilla Firefox (27.0.1)
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc.exe
AVAST Software Avast AvastUI.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C:: 1%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

for the SECOND reply:

do you have the box checked in ccleaner for windows size/location cache , in the Advanced section of cleaner??

step 1, try deleting the shortcuts and creating anew.

step 2.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813711

there is a fix listed, but I like to do it manually instead.

sometimes this can happen through a third party program, Spybot has been known to change some things, you might check through the settings .

You might like to use Tweak UI to change your folder views

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/xp-downloads#2TC=featured

Will check back tonight have to go to work!! :)

Last edited:
Response to anti-virus issues:

You stated "your avast antivirus is not listed under antivirus!!"

I don't know why it doesn't appear under the heading of ``Antivirus/Firewall Check:`` but I can assure you it is running and all shields are active.

The Security Center is running and indicates the following:

Firewall On - Comodo firewall is currently on.
Automatic Updates On
Virus Protection Not monitored (I indicated I would monitor it myself and that could be the reason it doesn't show up in the scan. I see Avast updating its definitions twice daily so I know it is functioning properly)

Avast and Windows Defender are running in real time. I only use Spywareblaster, Malewarebytes, etc on demand. Microsoft indicates that Windows Defender is only anti-malware and does not interfere with anti-virus software. The Defender in Win 8.1 is both anti-virus and anti-maleware. I'll turn it off but I don't think it will make much difference.

I don't think there is any security problem.

for the SECOND reply:

do you have the box checked in ccleaner for windows size/location cache , in the Advanced section of cleaner?? No

I ran Microsoft Fix it and received an error message that "Troubleshooting cannot continue because an error has occurred". However I was told in the error dialog that I could download a utility to troubleshoot this problem that I am having with what presumably is a troubleshooting utility. This would be laughable if it were not so sad. Someone at MS needs a reality check!

I have edited the registry before but the manual method indicates that after I delete the registry subkeys they indicate I am to recreate at least two of them and create some settings. I am not sure how to do this.

I downloaded the Tweak UI but didn't find much under the Explorer section that was of any benefit except to increase the folders to remember. I increased the value of 400 to 1000 but it had no effect on the folders behavior.

to create a registry item

creating a KEY , which will go on the left hand side, you would right click on the item you want to create the key for.

Choose a folder in the "Registry Editor" screen. There are certain folders for hardware and software. Other folders include components, security and system. Before you create a registry key, open the correct folder for your information.

Re-create the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam

you would right click on Windows, choose NEW, then choose key, in the open box, type Shell,
again do above and this time type ShellNoRoam.

no spaces the capital letters designate a space to the registry, that is why all the words are typed in a row, separated by a capital letter.

when you exit regedit, use the file menu, not the x in the corner, reboot, and then check, you do know that when setting folder preferences, there should be only one folder open??

let me know if this helps.

Last edited:
reply no. 2:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-windows-does-not-remember-folder-view-settings

is this the troubleshooter you were talking about??

notice the keys listed, are yours set at what is required from this article, ??

Also set BagMRU to 5000 versus 1000, 8000 is as high as xp can remember.

below is from here, check out the keys and see what yours say at this time:

1. Launch REGEDIT from the Start menu's Run dialog.
2. Navigate to the Registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell. If this key is not present, skip to step 8.
3. If a subkey named BagMRU is present, delete the entire subkey.
4. If a subkey named Bags is present, delete the entire subkey.
5. Look for a value named BagMRU Size (with a space between BagMRU and Size).
6. If this value is not present, select New | DWORD Value from the Edit menu and name the new value BagMRU Size.
7. Double-click on the BagMRU Size value, choose Decimal, and enter the desired number of folder settings for Win XP to remember (for example, 1,000).
8. Navigate to the Registry key HKEY_ CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\ShellNoRoam. If present, repeat steps 3 through 7.

That should cure Windows XP's faulty memory. The OS will "forget" all existing folder settings, but from this point onward, it should remember them correctly.

------------------------

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/461960/windows-xp-32-bit-folder-view-settings/

reading the above thread, says that even though no scan is picking anything up there may be some bits of a threat leftover, you should check out a malware removal forum, but be prepared to wait at least 3 days until you receive an answer, read the pinned notices first, geeks to go is where I would recommend:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/forum/37-virus-spyware-malware-removal/

Back