XP to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Paul77, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Paul77

Paul77

Strictly speaking this is not an XP issue but it might involve XP device drivers.

I have XP running with a Samsung 840 EVO SSD:
    Motherboard: ASUS P5KPL-CM
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7400 @ 2.80 GHz
    AMIBIOS:
    Version 0606
    Build date 03/11/09
    Bios IDE Config:
    ATA/IDE Configuration [Enhanced]
    Enhanced Mode Support on [S-ATA]

I have swapped the current SSD for a new one (nothing on it) and want to install Windows 7 onto it. On booting from the installer 7 DVD disk I'm getting:

Select the driver to be installed:
    Load the driver:

"A required CD/DVD drive driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk. CD, DVD or USB flash drive..."

It then asks you to browse the missing driver.

From looking at the forum's I think this error is due installer not being able to find the SATA device driver.

It needs something like:

Intel (R) 6 Series C100 Series Chipset Family 6 Port SATA AHCI Controller

What I'm confused about is that I must have a SATA device driver as I have one SSD
    running under XP. So is it just a case of finding this device driver in an XP windows folder?
    Or do I need a more modern one - an ACHI SATA driver for running under Windows 7?

The other confusing thing is that the forums point one at the motherboard manufacturer
    for the driver but ASUS don't have anything on the website. So is it intel I should be looking at or in fact Samsung!

Thanks for any pointers.

Paul77, Oct 18, 2014
  2. Paul77

Jojo

I had similar problems. I have a similar set-up, though I use XP on one SSD and W7 on the other and keep both totally separate.

Download the W7 drivers first and keep these aside.

I had most of my drivers on an Asus disc, intended for my MB. If you don't have yours try looking at the Asus site for your particular board.

Also, when you have it all installed, load SlimDrivers. It's a M$ approved program for loading new drivers. Quite reliable, though I find it doesn't get along well with my NVIDIA updater. But there you go.

Jojo, Oct 18, 2014
  3. Paul77

Paul77

The MB installation was from 09 so I guess not likely to have ACHI SATA drivers.
    Looked on the ASUS site for my MB and nothing listed!

Paul77, Oct 19, 2014
  4. Paul77

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Oct 19, 2014
  5. Paul77

Paul77

Thanks for the link to the Microsoft webpage. I also posted on a windows 7 site
    and they agreed the problem is a missing Intel SATA ACHI Controller. Have extracted a set of these, f6flpy6489.zip from the Intel Matrix Store Manager, onto a USB stick for browsing to on running the DVD installation but they are all in compatible! So still working on finding some compatible drivers.

Paul77, Oct 19, 2014
  6. Paul77

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Oct 20, 2014
  7. Paul77

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Oct 20, 2014
  8. Paul77

Jojo

Jojo, Oct 24, 2014
Ask a Question