XP thinks it is NT 4

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by cally45455, Jul 12, 2013.

1. cally45455

cally45455

I am trying to fix my mom's computer. It is a OptiPlex 755. It is running XP Pro w/service pack 3 64bit. However, I cannot download updates or Malicious Software Tool or Fix It because the computer says it is running NT 4. I I've tried system restore which didn't help.
    I do not any an XP disk. Can anyone gives me some suggestions which do not require CD? thank you

cally45455, Jul 12, 2013
  2. cally45455

Elizabeth23

page 217 of 248 restore to factory conditions, see user's guide below, this will work if drive has never been formatted.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-prod...x_desktop/optiplex-755_user's guide_en-us.pdf

1. it cannot be a 64bit if you are at service pack 3, 64 bit only goes to sp2, in xp.

sp3 is for 32bit, go to start, right click on My computer, choose properties, if you see 64bit anywhere then you have a 64 bit pc, if not then you have a 32bit system.

on this general tab it will also have the os that is installed, please check that it is indeed xp and what version, pro, home or mce?

you will want to run checkdisk, :

if you do not have Recovery Console installed, then run from the start menu

go to start, run, type in cmd

in cmd type in chkdsk c: /r and press enter

type Y for yes and press enter

type exit and press enter

restart pc, allow checkdisk to finish and run again.

and you will also want to ensure that your pc is infection free:

1. what is your current antivirus?

2. do the following:

Download, install, update and do full scan with these free malware detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM): http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
    SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): http://www.superantispyware.com/

Remove all found, reboot, and run again until scans run clean, these can be removed afterwards if you so choose. Run scans one at a time, please.
    -----------------------

if you cannot download in normal boot, go to safe mode with networking.

post back, and look in disk management to see if you have a hidden partition of approx 3 or 4 gb on which would be your restore partition.

Elizabeth23, Jul 12, 2013
  3. cally45455

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 17, 2016
  4. cally45455

red Guest

guess you tried to update xp with wrong disk or download? if not yet fixed then just go to internet archive and get a fresh copy of the 64 bit xp ( most have the keys) and re install, then get your drivers and away you go
    ;) gl

red, Jun 5, 2021
  5. cally45455

Kahilia

Where on the internet archive(.org) might they be hosting a x64 bit version of XP?
    Remember searching on it a while back, but don't think I've seen that.
    (If only it was available with da-language. Would rule to run that with 8GB ram)

Kahilia, Jul 14, 2021
  6. cally45455

red Guest

check under cd rom listing have it myself on dell laptop

red, Jul 15, 2021
  7. cally45455

Kahilia

Kahilia, Jul 22, 2021
Ask a Question