XP System Disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Moonsky, May 8, 2019.

1. Moonsky

Moonsky

Hello, When I insert my XP System Disk, the blue options menu does not appear as it once did.
    On my optical drive I right click on the icon, left click open and the options screen menu appears. How can I get it to show again, when I insert my system disk? Best regards, Moonsky.

Moonsky, May 8, 2019
  2. Moonsky

Elizabeth23

do you have autorun and autoplay disabled?

I do and I open everything that way, the problem is not so much with cd's, but it gives my antivirus time to scan my flash drives before they can possibly infect my computer, :)

Elizabeth23, May 8, 2019
  3. Moonsky

Moonsky

Hello Elizabeth23, Thanks for your prompt reply, What is the difference between, "Autorun and autoplay? I am sure that I have one of them enabled. I think it is,"Autoplay." Regards, Moonsky.

Moonsky, May 8, 2019
  4. Moonsky

Elizabeth23

AutoRun

[​IMG]
    If you insert a commercial CD or DVD in your drive, a menu interface from the software producer will often be shown automatically on your screen. Or, in some cases, an installation program will be automatically started. The technology that handles this is called AutoRun.

When the disc is inserted in the drive Windows will examine the root directory of the disc and check if a special file with the name Autorun.inf exists there. If this file is found the contents of the file will be read. This special file contains a set of command that tells Windows how to handle the contents of the disc just after it has been inserted in the drive. Mostly it is used to automatically start a program, for example a menu shell program or a setup program, but it is also possible to make a document or a movie (etc.) on the disc to be opened / played automatically when the disc is inserted in the drive.

AutoPlay

[​IMG]
    If you insert a non-commercial CD/DVD in your drive, for example a disc that you have burnt yourself, then it is very likely that a dialog box with a list of options will be shown on the screen. The dialog box will look like the one in the picture to the right.

The list of options (also called actions) in the dialog box is created immediately after that Windows has examined the file contents of the disc. Which options will appear in the list depend of what types of files are found on the CD/DVD. If the disc contains movies, an option to start Windows Media Player will be added to the list. If the disc contains pictures, a program to show a slide show of the pictures will be added. An option to start Windows Explorer is always included in the list.

The technology that handles this is called AutoPlay. And the dialog box that is showed automatically is often referred to as the AutoPlay dialog box. The purpose of the AutoPlay functionality is to make it easier for the user to handle the contents of a disc. If the user chooses an option in the AutoPlay dialog box, a program that know how to handle the file type will be launched.

above from HERE,

https://tiptopsecurity.com/how-to-d...nstructions-for-windows-xp-vista-win-7-and-8/

https://www.lifewire.com/disable-autorun-on-a-pc-153344

https://www.instructables.com/id/Disable-autoplay-in-USB-and-CD-Drive-in-Windows-XP/

above are instructions for disabling each, and you can reverse if you want it enabled

Elizabeth23, May 8, 2019
  5. Moonsky

Moonsky

Hello Elizabeth23, Many thanks for your detailed reply. I did a search for, "Autorun.inf," but It was not found, so maybe it was deleted. I also tried to access, "gpedit.msc," from the run box, however Windows could not find it. I did read that some versions of Windows did not either have or show this. Still thinking about this. Best regards, Les.

Moonsky, May 9, 2019
  6. Moonsky

Elizabeth23

do you have xp pro or xp home or xp media center edition?

if there is no autorun.inf it will not start automatically

Elizabeth23, May 9, 2019
  7. Moonsky

Moonsky

Hello, I have, "XP Home SP3."

Moonsky, May 9, 2019
  8. Moonsky

Elizabeth23

okay home doesn't have gpedit

below from HERE, you can read further instructions on how to selectively disable certain devices , also just reverse to enable

To disable Autorun yourself on operating systems that do not include Gpedit.msc, follow these steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following entry in the registry:
      HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\NoDriveTypeAutorun
    3. Right-click NoDriveTypeAutoRun, and then click Modify.
    4. In the Value data box, type 0xFF to disable all types of drives. Or, to selectively disable specific drives, use a different value as described in the "How to selectively disable specific Autorun features" section.
    5. Click OK, and then exit Registry Editor.
    6. Restart the computer.

Elizabeth23, May 10, 2019
  9. Moonsky

Moonsky

Hello Elizabeth23, Thanks for your most recent post. I had a look at, "NoDriveTypeAutoRun / Value data, however there were three numbers in the box. So if I find and copy the file,""Autorun.inf," from my other, "XPSP3," installation, ( If it exists there ), then I am optimistic that that would solve this issue. Best regards, Moonsky.

Moonsky, May 10, 2019
  10. Moonsky

Elizabeth23

okay :)

Elizabeth23, May 10, 2019
Ask a Question