XP Source Code Leak

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by rebornjumpman, Sep 25, 2020.

1. rebornjumpman

rebornjumpman

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/09/looks-like-the-windows-xp-source-code-just-leaked-on-4chan/

I just heard about this and thought it might spark an interesting discussion here. The leak was on 4Chan but researchers seem to think it's legit. My first thought was about opportunities this affords for community based patches and such, but my co-workers are seeing it as a bad thing because we'll get more XP-targeted attacks. Just wondering what everyone else thinks.

rebornjumpman, Sep 25, 2020
  2. rebornjumpman

Elizabeth23

don't think much of it, most security risks are in the hands of the user, I have been lucky or just surf safely and keep my pc clean, as I have not had any breaches, :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 26, 2020
    dAlek and ClippyBeer like this.
  3. rebornjumpman

ClippyBeer

You're not going to get more XP targeted attacks due to the ever-diminishing user base. If you are worried about malware on an OS that doesn't get security updates you shouldn't be using XP and use 10 instead.

I don't even use any AV on any of my PCs, I find them to be resource hogs. My brain is my first line of defense, my frequent backups/drive images are my secondary.

ClippyBeer, Sep 26, 2020
    dAlek likes this.
  4. rebornjumpman

dAlek

i am using xp for many years, I have never had problems with viruses, depends on its use, for all versions of windows it is necessary to pay attention to which websites we visit.

dAlek, Sep 26, 2020
  5. rebornjumpman

rebornjumpman

I feel the same way. I'm not a developer so I don't know for sure, but I would assume having access to the source code would open up opportunities for hobbyists and active users to do some more work on XP. Maybe that's dumb.

rebornjumpman, Sep 27, 2020
Ask a Question