XP reinstall quirks

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by tns, Sep 17, 2016.

1. tns

tns

XPsp3 IE8

For reinstallation from CD, getting windows updates to work is still the simplest way to get those misc final updates for the OS and office. After doing this recently I found a couple of problems. One was that the install disk I had was pre-sp3, and only had IE6. IE6 is too old to get updates working, so I found it was necessary to use a different PC to download the manual installs for both sp3 and then IE8. After installing these it is possible to make windows updates work again.

Even before this reinstall the only way I could launch the updates GUI on some machines is from: "Control Panel->Security Center->Automatic Updates->Windows Update Website". Up until a few years ago, I had always launched the updates GUI from "Help and Support->Windows Update", but this stopped working and just gives the "Internet connection Required" dialog. These two links are different somehow. Is there a fix for this? Is there a desktop shortcut that will launch the GUI?

tns, Sep 17, 2016
  2. tns

tns

tns, Sep 17, 2016
  3. tns

Elizabeth23

you can go to start/all programs/ on top of the listed programs should be windows update, click on that to get to microsoft updates.

the link in help and support does not work for me either, but I had never used that before so it is no loss for me. :)

Elizabeth23, Sep 18, 2016
  4. tns

tns

Thx. I had been so used to using Help and Support that I had forgotten it was right there on All Programs.

tns, Sep 18, 2016
  5. tns

Elizabeth23

the link has probably been discontinued as a lot of the help and support pages have been removed also.

Elizabeth23, Sep 18, 2016
Ask a Question