XP reinstall and Internet reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Laen, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Laen

Laen

I have reformatted and reinstalled XP Home on my PC, which is connected(wired) to a AP/Router and the router has a couple of wireless connected devices.

I am unable to connect my PC to the Internet ,I have tried using wizard without success, can you help.

I have Inputted ISP username and password but will not connect?

I have tried to input router setup login info (192.168.0.1) but will not connect, explorer is offline?

What do I need to do?, to get connected?

Laen, Apr 4, 2015
  2. Laen

Elizabeth23

you probably need a driver, look in device manager and tell my the adaptor manufacturer

or give me the make, model and model number of your pc and I will look for a driver for your pc.

Elizabeth23, Apr 4, 2015
  3. Laen

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Hello Laen,

To assist you we need:-

Specs of your PC, especially the motherboard to help you find the correct drivers.

Details of what Name/Brand etc for the motherboard will help.Once you have the motherboard details you should be able to find drivers from the manufacturer's web site or others.

Say you have an ASUS motherboard. Search say for ASUS P5KPL-AM EPU drivers then select the appropriate ones for your OS, say XP Professional 32bit or whatever.

Name/Brand/Type of your wi-fi equipment and the same for the router/s.

As Elizabeth23 says, you probably will need drivers.

Once you have this information look on the bottom of the modem/router you want to connect to for the WEP number. The WEP number/code is the modem/router's unique code your wi-fi net pick-up will lock on to. It (the WEP) can also be known as the WPA or PSK number/code.

Follow the instructions from there.

Good luck and cheers from Aunty Jack.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    Aunty Jack, Apr 5, 2015
  4. Laen

Laen

Hi Thanks for comments.

Device manager shows the following with error,

Ethernet controller
    PCI device
    PCI
    Modem
    Sm bus controller
    Usb device
    Video controller
    Video controller(via compatibles)

All show device driver unknown!
    I would appreciate obtaining the drivers that would allow me to connect via my router to Internet.
    The other devices connected wirelessly to my router are all working ok, these include two iPads and a laptop
    If I need to download a driver(s) I can do that via my laptop.

My PC is a Dell Dimension 9150(dated 2005) and the motherboard is Dell Inc. 0YC523 and I am running Windows XP Home edition.

Help very much appreciated.
    Laen

Laen, Apr 5, 2015
  5. Laen

Laen

I should probably add, that the PC is wire connected to Router(and not wirelessly)

Laen

Laen, Apr 5, 2015
  6. Laen

Elizabeth23

you want r105784 which is the integrated lan connection for your pc

go here to download, it is the second listing under network

these are for a general dimension 9150, you can enter your service tag, (on the side or bottom of pc) for drivers that might be more specific to your pc.

Elizabeth23, Apr 5, 2015
  7. Laen

Laen

Thank you Elizabeth 23, that's done it!,however when I use Internet Explorer it dosnt allow me into some websites, nor will it let me install Chrome or Firefox, any ideas?

Laen, Apr 5, 2015
  8. Laen

Elizabeth23

what version of IE is installed??

you need ie8

and you need to be at sp3 (unless your pc is 64 bit) and updated at microsoft updates.

microsoft updates will not work without sp3.

Elizabeth23, Apr 5, 2015
  9. Laen

Laen

To use IE8 I will need a new computer.

Current IE6, SP2,128bit

Does this help, or am stuck?

Laen, Apr 5, 2015
  10. Laen

Laen

Currently when I try some websites I get message...the page cannot be displayed..?.

Laen, Apr 5, 2015
  11. Laen

Elizabeth23

download sp3 here

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=24

disregard the statement that it is for IT developers only.

once you have installed sp3. go to start, all programs, top of the pane click on windows updates and then follow all prompts to let Microsoft Updates install, there will be approx 170 updates, what you want to do is allow about 50 updates at a time so that you will not overload the system.

degrag after each set of downloads

use ccleaner (NOT the registry section) to clean temp files.

I use both above programs from Piriform as they are better than the built in windows programs.

Also note that some updates need to be installed when the pc shuts down, NOT restarts, you can check this by going to start, turn off computer, on the shutdown dialog box if you look at turn off pc you will see a little shield icon on the turn off radio button, this means to shutdown and the updates will install. Most of the updates will be installed regularly.

Also, be patient this will take awhile. :)

==============

I just noticed that you put 128 bit?? this is wrong, your options are 32 bit or 64 bit, how you tell is go to start, right click on my computer, choose properties, on the general tab, if it does not say 64 bit anywhere then you have 32bit system.

===============

let me know if you have any other questions, and also you need to install an antiviris also,

Elizabeth23, Apr 5, 2015
  12. Laen

Laen

SM Bus Controller

Device driver required after reinstalling Win XP to my Dell 9150.

Device manager shows SM Bus Controller. Driver unknown? Can I download it from somewhere?

Laen, Jun 6, 2015
  13. Laen

Elizabeth23

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dimension-9150/drivers

all dell drivers for 9150 are listed above and can be downloaded to a flash drive for installation on your pc, also if you input your service tag number you will get drivers specific to your pc.

that is the chipset driver which must be installed FIRST before any other drivers, or rather second first on a dell is the DSS desktop system driver

==========

manual is at link below and you will have to have a pdf reader installed:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/dimension-9150/manuals

Elizabeth23, Jun 7, 2015
Ask a Question