XP-Pro SP3 Reactivation after Cloning to SSD

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by Kane9, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Kane9

Kane9

I'd like to upgrade my Dell Latitude D650 laptop with an SSD. XP-Pro SP3 is still running well, and all the apps are updated regularly (even though XP has been orphaned). The original Hitachi 120 GB HDD has performed admirably since 2007, but is overdue for a crash.
    I'm thinking of using Acronis True Image to Clone the Hitachi thru the Laptop's USB 2 connection. I've already resurrected the XP Product Code with Speccy & double checked it with Belarc.
    I've got 3 Questions:
    #1 - Will I have to re-activate XP-Pro once it resides on the SSD with a call to Microsoft?
    #2 - Does Microsoft even provide re-activation service since they've Orphaned XP?
    #3 - Is the product key the only thing I'll need after all (no need to call MS)?

Kane9, Jun 1, 2016
  2. Kane9

Elizabeth23

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/ssd-upgrade-tutorial

read above on upgrading to an ssd

=============

for activation:

if you do the above then you will not have to activate, or if it says activate online, then it will read the replacement files and you will be good to go. I do this every time I reinstall.

Elizabeth23, Jun 1, 2016
  3. Kane9

Kane9

Elizabeth23 - Much as I'd "like" to brush up on my DOS command line skills, I am still wondering if the original XP-Pro Product Key would allow me to skip the system32 file swap-outs you recommend during initial startup.
    Also - will Microsoft still require me to contact their Mother Ship to get re-activation clearance via the Telephone?
    Thanks!

Kane9, Jun 3, 2016
  4. Kane9

Elizabeth23

If you use an OEM reinstall disk, you should not even have to activate, and your product key is good until you change parts in the pc, after that you have to go through microsoft to prove that it is the same pc with new parts.

I have not used the phone, I have always done it on line if I have to activate at all, so yes you will still have to activate and the product key on the side of the pc or on the cd case will be the one you need.

Elizabeth23, Jun 3, 2016
  5. Kane9

priscus

I can confirm the online activation servers are still working: I activated a copy of XP two days ago.

Good luck if you have to contact M/s by phone: I have never found them willing to honour activation when online has baulked because of component changes. This is the third purchased copy of XP I have had to obtain for this machine!

It is Microsoft's 'helpfulness' which originally drove me to Linux!

priscus, Jun 3, 2016
  6. Kane9

Kane9

priscus - Thank you for verifying Online Activation still works for XP!

Now - if I can only find a way to initiate TRIM commands when running XP . . .

Kane9, Jun 5, 2016
Ask a Question