XP Pro failing to keep the right time

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by trimis, Jul 7, 2020.

1. trimis

ClippyBeer

Wow I just booted Linux Mint 18.3 MATE in LiveCD mode and yes, it does indeed default to UTC and will alter the system clock. I never noticed it before because I only booted it to install it which prompts you to set the timezone during the installation process.

Open terminal, the icon on the toolbar at the bottom left.

[​IMG]

If you type in the timedatectl command as we3fan suggests you will see that it is set to UTC time zone.

[​IMG]

You can change it to pacific time zone with the following command:

timedatectl set-timezone America/Los_Angeles

if you type in the timedatectl command again you will see that the time zone is now PDT. After about 60 seconds the tray clock in the lower right corner will also adjust to PDT time.

[​IMG]

I wonder if all Linux LiveCD's default to UTC. It would be nice if during the boot process you would be prompted to choose or better yet, just use whatever time the computer is set to because you can easily change it later.

ClippyBeer, Aug 16, 2020
    we3fan likes this.
  2. trimis

ClippyBeer

Well I did find a Linux distro LiveCD that prompts you for your time zone on boot up - PuppyLinux (Bionicpup64 8.0 CE).

http://oldforum.puppylinux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311

[​IMG]

Comes packed with a lot more tools than Linux Mint and uses PaleMoon Browser.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Surprised Mike_Walsh hasn't chimed in since he has always advocated for Puppy Linux. Looks good and will definitely be added to my toolbox of bootable utilities. Try it yourself (32 bit version aso available).

ClippyBeer, Aug 16, 2020
    we3fan likes this.
Ask a Question