XP Pro Accounts

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by trimis, Nov 30, 2014.

1. trimis

trimis

Other than the fact that the built-in administrator account cannot be deleted, what is the difference between it and a user created administrator account? Some sites say that the built-in account should never be used, and instead you should create a administrator account, but no reason is ever given, so I am wondering what this is about?

trimis, Nov 30, 2014
  2. trimis

Elizabeth23

3. trimis

Jody Thornton

I understand that the native administrator account polls periodically for performance counters. I used to disable the counters with exctrlst.exe. But I always ran as Administrator (but renamed)

Jody Thornton, Dec 3, 2014
  4. trimis

trimis

Most excellent links! I had been all over that website on my own and never saw the above, and probably never would of stumbled across it. Link #2 also touched on a question I was preparing to ask:
    If I password protect the built-in guest account, disable that account, then later re-enable it, will the password still be working? And is the answer the same for all built-in accounts?

trimis, Dec 28, 2014
  5. trimis

Elizabeth23

To tell you the truth I do not know, but you can test it. I have always disabled the guest account, and never have reenabled it.

have searched for an answer but did not find one, will keep searching.

Elizabeth23, Dec 29, 2014
  6. trimis

Elizabeth23

from here

so I believe that the password would still be there on the reenabled account.

Elizabeth23, Dec 29, 2014
  7. trimis

trimis

Good to know! Would this also apply to all the built-in accounts? As mentioned, I only need one limited account and one administrator account, so I am looking for a way to lockdown all the needless junk, and after a lot of Google searching, this method (127 letter password protection & then disabling account) is the best I could find.

trimis, Dec 30, 2014
  8. trimis

Elizabeth23

I believe that it should work with all. :)

Elizabeth23, Dec 31, 2014
Ask a Question