XP Pro 45 min to boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by paulbradley, Oct 19, 2017.

1. paulbradley

paulbradley

I have a customers computer that takes 45 minutes or longer to boot. Once it gets into windows completely everything is fine and fast. Have scanned for viruses and malware although computer is not connected to internet. Did a speed test on the hard drive. scanned for errors. Disabled everything in MSconfig. Ghosted to another drive and put in another computer with similar chipset, uninstalled drivers, nothing seems to make a difference. I reinstalled windows on the ghosted drive clean install and it boots in less than 2 min. Ghosted drive back and back slow again. Trying to do repair options with cd it gets to 9 min and sits there. takes about 5 hours to get to the 9 min spot. They have proprietary software on the computer that isn't supported anymore so the manufacturer wont help with setting it back up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe files I could copy off the new installation to the original drive?
    Also I upgraded to vista, took 8 hours or more, then to 7 (who likes vista) which took only about 30 min and computer boots normal, but their software would not work with 7 and would not reconnect to the database.

paulbradley, Oct 19, 2017
Ask a Question