XP Mozilla browser essential add-ons (extensions)

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by ClippyBeer, Feb 3, 2019.

1. ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer

I decided to start a thread for the remaining Windows XP browsers that are still being updated and the extensions that provide safe browsing and added features. Please share your experiences by posting screenshots, and most importantly, download links since Mozilla deleted all add-ons for older versions.

I am basing this thread around extensions that work with New Moon, Pale Moon, Serpent and Centaury browsers. If you are posting extensions for Seamonkey please indicate it in your reply and whether the extension is compatible with NM/PM/SP/CY browsers.

ClippyBeer, Feb 3, 2019
  2. ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer

Ublock Origin
    I refuse to surf without this add-on.

Install it, go to add-ons page and click options for Ublock.

[​IMG]

Click on Show Dashboard then select the 'Filter lists' tab
    [​IMG]

Tick all the boxes then hit the 'Update Now' button and wait for all the lists to update. You are ready to surf!

ClippyBeer, Feb 3, 2019
    StupidGamer likes this.
  3. ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer

I know many of you are big fans of QuickJava as I too have been for many years. However I recently stumbled on an extension call PrefBar.

[​IMG]

It adds a toolbar with many of the same features of QuickJava but also includes a customizable User Agent Switcher thus eliminating the need for a separate add-on for that purpose.

[​IMG]

You can add/delete user agent strings as needed. Toolbar buttons can me moved/added/removed from the toolbar. Additional buttons are available here:

http://prefbar.tuxfamily.org/buttons.html

ClippyBeer, Feb 3, 2019
  4. ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer

Simple Add-on Manager 0.0.1 This handy extension adds a drop-down menu on your toolbar that allows you to enable/disable any installed extension(s) and plugins with a click. No need to go to the add-ons menu just to toggle an extension.
    [​IMG]

Sadly I couldn't find this extensions archived anywhere on the web but I did have backup and am posting it here.

Attached Files:

ClippyBeer, Feb 3, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  5. ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer

Youtube Video and Audio downloader 0.5.9.

This adds a button on your toolbar for Youtube as well as a download button on the bottom of any Youtube video you are watching.

[​IMG]

Click on the download button and you will be presented with available video/audio types to download.
    [​IMG]

Click on the numbers at the bottom to see what other formats are available for download.

When you first install this extension you will be prompted to download the FFMPEG library (open source) to enable conversion to other audio/video formats.

[​IMG]

There is a good chance you may already have FFMPEG installed because a lot of other video converters use this library - if you are not sure just let it download.

If you do have FFMPEG installed you will need to go to 'Options' and specify the location of the FFMPEG.EXE binary on your computer.

[​IMG]

(The path of your FFMPEG.EXE will probably be different than mine).

You can't download this extension from Mozilla anymore, only the newer WEBEX version.

Fortunately the author has archived a version on Github that will work (I wish more add-ons authors did this).

https://github.com/inbasic/iaextractor/blob/master/builds/0.5.9.xpi

Click on the 'View Raw' link and it will download the XPI file that you can manually install.

ClippyBeer, Feb 3, 2019
    Janice likes this.
  6. ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer

It's too late for me to edit my original post but this thread is for XP based Mozilla browsers - I mentioned Pale Moon but that is no longer supported in XP. I meant MyPal, not Pale Moon.:oops:

ClippyBeer, Feb 3, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  7. ClippyBeer

cmccaff1

Fantastic work on this list! I appreciate the effort that has gone into these posts--I'm looking forward to seeing how this thread develops!

cmccaff1, Feb 5, 2019
  8. ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer

PDF Viewer 2.0.961 [New Moon/MyPal]

XP versions of Chrome/Firefox and Centaury/Serpent have the ability to view PDF files directly in the browser using javascript without relying on an external plug-in such as Adobe PDF reader. This feature was somehow left out of New Moon and MyPal.

You can now add this feature by installing the pdf.js extension.

[​IMG]

You can now view/print/save PDF files in New Moon/MyPal without relying on the malware exploitable Adobe PDF reader.

ClippyBeer, Mar 1, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  9. ClippyBeer

cmccaff1

If I were to harbor a guess, I'd presume built-in PDF reading/viewing was left out of Mypal/Pale Moon to give it more of an old-school feel (very old FF versions, prior to [IIRC] 19.0, did not have built-in PDF capabilities). Either way, it's nice to be able to get that feature!

Just so people know, Mozilla recently took down their 'search plugins' repository--if you have a fresh install of Basilisk or Centaury, and want to use Google (for example) as your main search engine, the built-in redirect in these browsers takes you to an error page. Thankfully, Mypal/Pale Moon's search plugins are 100% backwards-compatible, so if you want to add another search engine to Basilisk/Centaury you can easily do so that way.

cmccaff1, Mar 1, 2019
  10. ClippyBeer

Elizabeth23

I do not have any extensions and can view pdf's online if there is one on the website, I use pdf-xchange viewer, with only the viewer installed, no other extensions or extra options offered by the viewer. In either firefox or mypal.

Elizabeth23, Mar 1, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  11. ClippyBeer

Elizabeth23

edit: I take that back I can open it with firefox within the browser w/o any extensions, mypal automatically saves and then it is opened with my default pdf viewer, :)

Elizabeth23, Mar 1, 2019
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  12. ClippyBeer

ClippyBeer

Greasemonkey for New Moon/Mypal

This extension allows you to run userscripts that add or remove unwanted elements from websites you visit. There are hundreds of scripts available at repositories such Greasyfork.

I'm going into a small rant here - back in the days where Adobe Flash was used in all websites for video you could easily select 'click to play' or disable Flash altogether to avoid nuisance autoplay advertisements. With the the advent of HTML5 that feature was removed. You can disable HTML5 autoplay in about:config but in my experience will often break video playback entirely.

Thankfully there is a wonderful userscript called AutoPlay Disabled for HTML5 Videos.

After you install Greasemonkey merely click on the green "Install this script" button and it will be added.

Now whenever you visit a site with a video it won't start automatically unless you click to play.

No more disruptive autoplay videos! (unless you want them by clicking on the Greasemonkey icon to disable it).

I have tested with CNN.COM. ZDNET.COM, WIRED.COM.

Check out Greasyfork and see what other useful scripts you can use.

ClippyBeer, Jun 2, 2019
    trimis and cmccaff1 like this.
  13. ClippyBeer

cmccaff1

Nothing to worry about--I can't blame you for ranting. Thank you very much for the recommendations--I'll be trying them soon!

cmccaff1, Jun 3, 2019
  14. ClippyBeer

trimis

Any userscript to prevent overlay from appearing? Seems like 9 out of 10 sites now have this crapola, and some have multiple overlays. I have 'Behind the Overlay' addon for my SRWare, but it just removes the overlay once it appears, and doesn't seem to be a version for Mypal, Centaury, of IceDragon. I'm focused on a preventive that blocks this junk from appearing!

trimis, Jun 25, 2019
Ask a Question