XP is 15 soon!

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by Cammygirl192, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Cammygirl192

Cammygirl192

I'm surprised there isn't a post on this yet, but XP was released Q4 2001 and it's going to be 15 this year!

Anyone to celebrating? I wiped Linux and put XP on my computer for great justice.

Cammygirl192, Mar 14, 2016
  2. Cammygirl192

eatup

I did the unthinkable. I have begun to assemble parts for a last XP desktop computer. Though I may never complete this build until a few years later as I don't really need another XP desktop at this point.

Btw, for any1 interested, they can still build a modern XP computer with *NEW* parts. The last gen CPU to fully support XP is Ivy Bridge (ie. 3rd Gen Core CPUs). Ppl still sell *new* Ivy Bridge CPUs and Mobo's on Amazon/eBay...

Also, as to why someone might want a new XP computer when they could have gotten a new Win7/8.1/10. Well, I just fired up our Win8 desktop computer circa 2012. The main OS on it is Win7, but it also dual boots Win8.1. OMG I tried to play a 1080p video on it, framerates choppy as hell in Win 8.1. Even my 7 y/o C2D laptop plays 1080p vids much faster in XP! So there you have it, a while ago, I did a benchmark on a triple booting XP/Win7/8.1 system. For a certain game, I obtained 100+ fps in XP, 80+ fps in Win 7 and 40+ fps in Win 8.1 all on the same machine and same graphics settings. I can only imagine the fps is much worse in Win 10 than in Win 8.1 b/c that's how Windows is built, each new version performs worse than the previous one...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    eatup, Mar 28, 2016
  3. Cammygirl192

Cammygirl192

Hi eatup,

Yes, it is true that Windows slowly decreases with each version performance. Many state Vista had poor performance when the reality is that Windows 7 has slightly worse performance than Vista SP2!

Games do indeed run faster in XP, though and the OS is indeed one of the lightest that is still usable today, as you have pointed about the CPU support.

Cammygirl192, Mar 28, 2016
  4. Cammygirl192

eatup

On second thought, what a bad idea it is to build a desktop PC, and it's not XP's fault btw. So far I have an Ivy Bridge CPU + mobo + 8GB RAM. Originally, I had planned to make this desktop a media PC, mostly to play games b/c you can insert a graphics card into the mobo, whereas in a laptop, I'm stuck with the Intel integrated graphics.

Anyways, I tried out a few 3D games/movies on our current desktop with a 26" LCD monitor, which had mostly been used for word processing/internet browsing/other productivity-related tasks. I can sum up my recent experience in three words: nausea + bad graphics.

Apparently, 3D games were designed for a 15" monitor or smaller. Any larger and it's instant nausea roaming around the virtual world.

As for playing movies. I test screened a few MKV vids sized approx 4GB. If MKVs are to vids what MP3s are to music, then a 4GB MKV video would be the equivalent of the best MP3 encoding at 320kbps. Apparently, even such a high quality encoding will appear blocky on a 26" monitor up close. Not only that, I found that it was difficult to adjust the tilt angle of the monitor for optimal viewing so that the dark part of the screen doesn't have any light from the backlight spilling out over it. In reality, I obtained a higher quality viewing experience on my 14" laptop than the desktop with 26" monitor. No wonder why consumers are so keen into 4K monitors now, b/c 1080p just plain sucks on desktops, but not so much on TVs where they are further away from you and it's more difficult to make out the pixelations. And if there's one thing XP doesn't really support, it's 4K monitors...

Anyways, I'll probably end up using the parts I have collected as spares for our current XP-capable desktop, or sell them. As it stands, it sure looks like I'll look keep my mobile XP systems to last for another decade or two, as they offer the best experience in both gaming and viewing high-bitrate encoded videos and in productivity...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    eatup, Mar 31, 2016
  5. Cammygirl192

Dibya

I can help you to run xp on your 4k pc.
    I use Xp in Skylake.

Dibya, Jun 3, 2016
  6. Cammygirl192

Termingamer2-JD

Today is the day.

From - http://slushhut.tk/l4w2/?page=thread&id=152 by Kawaii-Volt32 (me)

Windows XP is 15 years old on August 24, 2016, when it was first released to manufacturers for sale.

The OS holds very many love and memories of me on my first computer, an IBM ThinkPad R50e which likely still works to this day. XP was reliable, and XP was good. If it didn't work you could always still do something with it (usually).

So many great times. Flash games, MSN/Windows Messenger, WordPad, MS Office 2003, Outlook Express, IE6, the start of forums, ACMLM'S BOARD I2, XEOGAMING, etc. etc. and I was born just a month later after its release as well.

An amazing OS it was simple and easy to use while being fully featured.

#XPWillNeverDie #ILoveXP

The beautiful XP-tan: http://muryou-anime-wallpaper.net/wallpapers/os-tan-787-wall1024.jpg

It was excluded from mainstream support in April 8, 2014, but has actually still got support if you do a registry hack.

I'm listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gKSRg47E4A (DKC, Life in the Mines) and it reminds me of XP nostalgia, oddly.

Termingamer2-JD, Aug 24, 2016
  7. Cammygirl192

TheLovleyGuy

I am HAPPY ,, I just got a virtualbox yesturday to Celebrate and use it and more!

#XPWasTheBestOS#IloveXP#XPISInOurHands#XPforUS

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    TheLovleyGuy, Aug 24, 2016
  8. Cammygirl192

Termingamer2-JD

Good luck with your VirtualBox, also thanks for the subscription/like!
    It matters to me :)

I'm also going to do a video of XP itself, touring around the OS, as well maybe the actual Tour Windows XP videos to re-upload, and put them into their own playlist.

9. Cammygirl192

TheLovleyGuy

Thanks

Me Also just now downloading camstudio to record And Make A tour and more!

Added to Contacts ,, Best friend ,, Team Of XP

TheLovleyGuy, Aug 24, 2016
  10. Cammygirl192

Termingamer2-JD

Aw, thanks!~

I prefer hypercam over camstudio myself, I never had anything but issues with camstudio when I tried it. However since I don't want it to lag out (I allocated 1.5GB of RAM to my VM and only have a Core 2 Duo) I usually just record off the screen with my iPhone instead.

If I had my MacBook Air I'd use that and record using QuickTime Player. Glad to see we both have XP in common btw.

11. Cammygirl192

cornemuse

00-4fcdf7fb0667c80109ecfadc7c7657e7-n.jpg

(have a 21" 4x3 screen here, , ,)

cornemuse, Aug 24, 2016
  12. Cammygirl192

Termingamer2-JD

@cornemuse She's beautiful <3

Termingamer2-JD, Aug 25, 2016
  13. Cammygirl192

cornemuse

Link does not work, for me, anywayz

ie "http://slushhut.tk/l4w2 <== my forum"

cornemuse, Aug 26, 2016
  14. Cammygirl192

Termingamer2-JD

That's because I had to take the website down, I remade the site (will probably re-post the thread), and forgot to update the link here.
    Got bombarded with spammers and idiots a few days ago who wrecked the website.

It's fixed now to the new site, if you just want to check the forums go to /bb. We're very small, but only started 2 days ago so eh.
    Man, I feel awkward promoting my site in an XP community.

Actual thread link was here - http://kv32-gamers.22web.org/bb/index.php?topic=15.0

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Termingamer2-JD, Aug 28, 2016
Ask a Question