XP installation drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by GeorgeSagu, Apr 12, 2014.

1. GeorgeSagu

GeorgeSagu

HI, i have a xp(xp2) installed in a multiboot and the boot partition is another xp(xp1). so i would like to change the xp2 drive letter as it says it is installed on the e:\ drive not the c:\ drive.
    Does any one of you know how to change to c:\ drive instead of e:\? if you cant it is fine

GeorgeSagu, Apr 12, 2014
  2. GeorgeSagu

Elizabeth23

I am not sure, but all the threads I have read say you have to do a reinstall to place xp on c: drive, it is different if it were a dual boot with xp and another os.

back up your data and do a clean install of xp

Elizabeth23, Apr 12, 2014
  3. GeorgeSagu

denrecnoc

Its possible but not recommended.

Here is link with instructions to restore a PCs boot drive letter. I.E. when the boot drive letter is changed from the original OS installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188

An OS installation recognizes drives from partition information, apart from drive letters. After the drive and partition are recognized, the installation programming designates a boot drive letter which is coded into the system registry and used upon each os boot to load system files, etc.

Changing the boot drive letter to other than the original OS installation, will cause problems when booting the OS (such as non boot-able), system registry and program applications that rely on the registry and drive lettering for exe files, data, etc.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    denrecnoc, Apr 22, 2014
  4. GeorgeSagu

Elizabeth23

@denrecnoc, I did not give him that link to kb223188, because the drive letter was not changed, it was the drive letter originally assigned, and that is one that should not be changed.

Elizabeth23, Apr 22, 2014
  5. GeorgeSagu

denrecnoc

That's why I stated it's not recommended and the probable outcome.

However it is not impossible, I have successfully change the install boot drive letter but it is not something that's normally done or recommended.

denrecnoc, Apr 22, 2014
  6. GeorgeSagu

Elizabeth23

Okay, thanks for the clarification.

it would be best for him to just do a fresh install and delete all partitions.

I am curious as to why 2 xp's were set up on the same drive. :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 23, 2014
Ask a Question