XP Install Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by bauerjan, Mar 11, 2015.

1. bauerjan

bauerjan

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 computer. It has a 68Gb IDE hard disk and a 250Gb SATA drive, installed via a SCSI card.

At present I have Windows XP installed in a dual boot arrangement with DOS.

I installed the SATA 250GB disk with Western Digital software. I created one 30Gb partition
    and formatted it with a FAT32.

When I rebooted the computer the 30Gb partition was recognized in Windows Explorer.

I hoped to install Windows XP on the new partition. I rebooted the computer with a windows XP install disk in the CD Rom drive. The installation commenced - I indicated that I wanted to install a new copy of Windows XP. However, when the disk information appeared, only the IDE disk appeared - the SATA partition did not appear.

The SATA drive does appear at the command prompt.

I would be most grateful if someone could explain where the problem might lie!

Many thanks

Jimmy

bauerjan, Mar 11, 2015
  2. bauerjan

Elizabeth23

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514

I am not up on sata drives except to know that xp will not install on a sata drive without controllers either slipstreamed onto the install cd or on a floppy disk and installed at the press F6 step of fresh install, so you might want to ask in the dell forum at the link above.

also,someone else may read this question and might be able to answer your query.

Elizabeth23, Mar 11, 2015
Ask a Question