XP install 'found outs' et al.

Discussion in 'Windows XP Installation and Setup' started by remey, Jan 5, 2018.

1. remey

remey

hello to fellows.

am new to posting to this forum but, have lurked previously.

there was a need[''] here inside, to get XP to install using a USB drive.
    at the time, i came across 'wintousb' v. 1.6.[not sure of exact ver. # but, it worked then. it does not any more]. it is not possible to acquire v 1.6 or earlier but, someone may have it hidden away in their ole 'spare softies' bin...man, i hope so. it'll knock socks off me as well as a few out there also. man, such a treat...the below may be possible which will knock the shoes off also, 'possibly' for me anyway. to get this to work[the request here needed, below] woudl make life, acceptable! :)

it was a fantastic tool. gave a 'fully working install', ie. a fully fledged working XP OS via a usb-flash drive.
    this happened in less than 6 mins to completion.

that usb drive was lost. boo-hoo big time!!!...since then.

the version of wintousb is not definitely known but, i have a fairly reasonable thought set it was 1.6 'or' possibly before.
    vista will work with v.1.6. and that full install was achieved in about 10 mins all by itself-no inputs needed during setup and still does.

win7 et al...can be done by the newer versions of wintousb fairly easily at present, using 'more' time but, no inputs needed[no restarts either].

during the XP install attempts with 'wintousb' v.1.6 when i tried again[last year] there is a window that appears maintaining 'the EULA is not present', can not be detected or some such.

the EULA is present/found within the setup files[found it in the original cd, and again after the needed extracted install files were available from the ISO to a folder]. i checked.
    is there any chance someone here can assist with an earlier version possibly of wintousb or what way to hack the issue with the EULA not being found?
    thanks ahead!!! :O
    rem

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    remey, Jan 5, 2018
  2. remey

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jan 5, 2018
  3. remey

remey

thnx for the access points E.
    tried to find earlier copies of a workable .exe but, there were none then and somewhat since,
    i had a go with the above but, no luck.
    to avoid dble-post, there's more.
    i came across a fellow who put together various XP softwares, many of which wud be or cud be useful to folk using xp.
    he provides a set of web-pages dealing with XP.

and useful tools which are solid and work.

his first name was ed. went looking for his site this evening, eventually, i came across it.

here: bootdisk.com
    maybe to those who don't know or wud like to know, the link wud be useful.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    remey, Jan 6, 2018
  4. remey

Elizabeth23

are you sure it was named win to usb and not wintoflash? there is also Rufus which is what I use for making bootable flash drives,

Elizabeth23, Jan 6, 2018
  5. remey

remey

no, it was named wintousb E.

a super tool here...

https://www.easyuefi.com/wintousb/

depending on the ver one had, it was possible to have XP-and vista installed to a USB stick/usb drive

as a working OS there on the memory stick or hdd, and completed in a short time[about 10mins].

stunning when one thinks of or has to actually install to the 'destop', using a standard hdd,
    how long it can take...does take...along with constant restarts one has to endure[with vista].

the flavour of vista i have works to full installation with wintousb 1.6.

XP[with SP2 and/or SP3] won't install now with the error, 'the EULA can not be found'.
    that agreement is there, on the cd and inside the .iso...
    :(

remey, Jan 6, 2018
  6. remey

Elizabeth23

I must have missed your reply so sorry for the late reply, during my research some said it would be good to reformat your pendrive and try again

another step is the disk you are installing to formatted in NTFS?

https://www.google.com/search?sourc.....2.9.1365...0i22i30k1j33i160k1.0.6eAucoWdC4U

above search site is what I have been researching, but have not found one specific to wintousb program, I would reformat the disk with fat32, twice from within windows or using Darik's nuke, then I would use the ISO and burn to pendrive again first with your winto usb program, (I have given you links to older versions) and if that does not work,then use rufus and try again

Elizabeth23, Jan 9, 2018
  7. remey

remey

hey E...thnx.
    formatting the hdd ready for the installation was done with FAT32 on a 36G hddrive.

install of XP was achieved using a 4Gig thumb drive with the I386 folder[only folder] on the partition.
    that was done with FAT32.
    used the win98 setup fdd from

here: bootdisk.com
    the 'edit' utility wud not allow me to put 'www' with this link. it may be correct, don't know. there are no problems on this pc since taking the full cd's[200 + Megs worth of tools offered[paid for. 10$]

i paid for that set of tools[there are many extra ones that could be needed as a 'bonus'. they are not present on the standard win98 fdd set]

went through the processes. it took a while.

re-started and the install went to completion. grand!

when using the WINTOUSB app, the actual pendrive has a fully working OS install, XP that is ready to go after 100% is shown at end of the process.

the two versions u provided for, wud not work. a pain. was hoping for the earlier versions, possibly, to provide the needed full working install.
    the opening issue with 'WINTOUSB' trying with XP is, 'can not find a bootable image'.

there is a file somewhere noted to be the
    'xpboot,BIF'.
    BIF.= BOOT IMAGE FILE?
    u may know of it's need['] and possible folder or file placement/location if,
    that has anythiing to do with the bootable image problem.
    i put it within the folder in a few different places but, no go.
    it might be needed inside WINTOUSB[possibly]?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    remey, Jan 13, 2018
  8. remey

Elizabeth23

I am very confused :), have you got a bootable usb or not, any image should be ISO and not .bif,

when I created my install iso all I did was extract the files, from my sp2 dell xp install cd, to my hard drive, downloaded sp3, integrated sp3 , and then created a bootable iso with imgburn. This same iso I created I also burned to a flash drive with rufus and to a cd with imgburn.

https://wintousb.en.uptodown.com/windows/old
    above link has version 1.6 and two earlier beta versions.

Elizabeth23, Jan 14, 2018
Ask a Question