Xp folk hero Feodor2 releases third test version of Mypal 68

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by popsmoke, May 24, 2022.

1. popsmoke

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jul 20, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  2. popsmoke

ClippyBeer

Yes they can because they use different directories for the profile data. I have MyPal 68 and MyPal 29 in XP, both can be run simultaneously without conflict.

[​IMG]

MyPal 68 on top and MyPal 29 on bottom. To find the profile directory in any Mozilla browser simply type
    Code:
    about:profiles
    in the url bar.

[​IMG]

ClippyBeer, Jul 20, 2022
    xperceniol and Elizabeth23 like this.
  3. popsmoke

TMTGTR

Yes a good link. Thank you very much Elisabeth.

Thanks ClippyBeer.

I originally thought the issue was unique to MyPal based on an early posting (Github?) I saw somewhere and didn't bother to follow. And I presumed the worst, thinking maybe the author wanted to bury the controversy with the old MyPal serves me right for not investigating it myself.

And that's why I come here...:)

TMTGTR, Jul 20, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  4. popsmoke

xperceniol

The registry won't conflict either because they are different. 68 shows up as a loader, rather Mypal 28-29 does not. Over at MSFN we are assured that the registry entry is safe and no cause for concern. I do trust AstroSkipper.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657...uttons-and-extensions/page/4/#comment-1222060

You could also make your Mypal 68 (sort of) portable, I do that now, but still, I'd monitor your appdata application data folders and the mozilla plugins.

https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/issues/67

xperceniol, Jul 21, 2022
    TMTGTR likes this.
  5. popsmoke

TMTGTR

Thanks xperceniol.

TMTGTR, Jul 21, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  6. popsmoke

TMTGTR

I should say: Thank you very much Elizabeth.

TMTGTR, Jul 21, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  7. popsmoke

xperceniol

You're very welcome and thank you Elizabeth for maintaining this lovely forum - very happy be be a part of your group here.

xperceniol, Jul 21, 2022
  8. popsmoke

TMTGTR

This just in: IMHO Coincidence is the rule, not the exception.. there are no coincidences...
    Tried to pay a utility bill online today and it would not go to final page as it has in the past on Basilisk 52. So I opened up MyPal 68 and it took the payment with nary a hiccup.
    I see I will be diving into this much more. Did I say thanks? Thanks!

TMTGTR, Jul 21, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  9. popsmoke

Elizabeth23

xperceniol, you are welcome, but I do not maintain the website, that is Ian, I just try to answer questions to the best of my ability, as do others here, :)

Elizabeth23, Jul 22, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  10. popsmoke

xperceniol

Just wanted to say ...the latest MP68 is working as great as expected, but I've junk for computers and graphic card do can't enable much anyway (webgl, wasm, acceleration, web components) Have to settle for low experience.

xperceniol, Aug 17, 2022
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  11. popsmoke

xperceniol

Sorry guys I've not been posting over here, I haven't been doing very well, but am getting better and reply to posting. Things have changed in this new version and I will update as you can disregard my pref suggestions, while most are valid.

xperceniol, Aug 30, 2022
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  12. popsmoke

xperceniol

Ok:
    So...
    Please disregard my prefs related to newtab and safebrowsing. I went through them one-by-one and this is what you need to add to your prefs.js or user.js (just make sure you remove the user.js afterwards)

user_pref("browser.newtab.preload", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.asrouter.userprefs.cfr.addons", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.asrouter.userprefs.cfr.features", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.default.sites", "");
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.discoverystream.config", "");
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.discoverystream.endpoints", "");
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.aboutpreferences", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.asrouterfeed", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.discoverystreamfeed", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.favicon", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.newtabinit", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.places", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.prefs", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.section.highlights", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.section.topstories", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.section.topstories.options", "");
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.sections", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.snippets", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.systemtick", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.telemetry", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.feeds.topsites", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.filterAdult", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.noDefaultSearchTile", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.improvesearch.topSiteSearchShortcuts.searchEngines", "");
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.section.highlights.includeBookmarks", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.section.highlights.includeDownloads", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.section.highlights.includePocket", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.section.highlights.includeVisited", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.section.highlights.rows", 0);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.section.topstories.rows", 0);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.showSearch", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.showSponsored", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.telemetry.ping.endpoint", "");
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.telemetry.structuredIngestion.endpoint", "");
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.activity-stream.topSitesRows", 0);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.enabled", false);
    user_pref("browser.newtabpage.storageVersion", 1);

user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.blockedURIs.enabled", false);
    user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.downloads.remote.block_dangerous", false);
    user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.downloads.remote.block_dangerous_host", false);
    user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.downloads.remote.block_potentially_unwanted", false);
    user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.downloads.remote.block_uncommon", false);
    user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.id", "");
    user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled", false);
    user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.phishing.enabled", false);
    user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.prefixset_max_array_size", 0);
    user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.pver", "");
    user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.provider.google4.pver", "");
    user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.provider.mozilla.lists.base", "");
    user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.provider.mozilla.lists.content", "");
    user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.provider.mozilla.nextupdatetime", "");
    user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.provider.mozilla.pver", "");

xperceniol, Aug 30, 2022
  13. popsmoke

xperceniol

Of course, this being a personal decision on whether or not to disable safe browsing. If you feel you need it, best to leave it at the defaults. This goes in the same line of "real-time" antivirus and your comfort level.

We're still trying to learn more about this "launcher"

user_pref("browser.launcherProcess.enabled", true);

xperceniol, Aug 30, 2022
    TMTGTR and Elizabeth23 like this.
  14. popsmoke

xperceniol

^^Please disregard my prefs above, I know more now and would be happy to share my new prefs with everyone.I can't edit them but they are/were not too far off if anybody used them, just more to add and some were invalid - big deal :)

I've been using the following with very good sucess.

general.oscpu.override;Windows NT 10.0
    general.useragent.override;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win32; x86; rv:108.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/108.0

xperceniol, Dec 20, 2022
  15. popsmoke

popsmoke

The article linked to seems overly complicated.
    Try this:
    1. All versions of Firefox are available in portable form. Unfortunately for XP the last really stable version is 51, which works well generally, and works especially well with the MEMORYFOX addon in particular, but breaks on many modern sites. And won't handle modern video. There is a version "52" which I found unstable on all my XP machines. Terrible release.
    2. Feodor2 did a great job with his ongoing releases of MYPAL (forked off PALEMOON) and each came with an installer that allowed the option of a 100% fully portable install. Will handle a lot of modern video, subject to your CPU and memory constraints.
    3. Feodor2 seems to have lost most of his enthusiasm for XP modds after the PALEMOON people were less than friendly towards his work.
    4. Since August 22 we have 3 new modds from him off Firefox 68 (not Palemoon) but the first two are buggy so there really is only one workable version, the final one. Unlike his earlier releases this one seems to lack an installer with an option for fully portable use. What worked for me was creating a folder on the desktop and throwing the entire release into it, and running the program from that folder. Using this method you need to be aware that your profile will be buried in a "hidden" file along this path: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mypal68. To avoid the hassle of constantly switching on/off the toggle for revealing system files, you can locate it just once, and create a shortcut to it, which you can access in the future without having to toggle system files.
    5. On my 2002 Thinkpad T42 with 2 gbs of RAM, I use Mypal 28.14.2 for most daily work (with MEMORYFOX) but I avoid Youtube and other similar sites which are memory hogs. Will freeze the machine.
    6. My banking site, for example, does not like the older MYPALs (off Palemoon) but responds well to MYPAL68, however I cannot run both MYPAL versions at the same time, takes too much memory. So I have to close one version to run the other.
    Hope this helps.

popsmoke, Dec 20, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
  16. popsmoke

xperceniol

Agreed ... very stable and have had no issues other than the occasional freeze on YT.

xperceniol, Dec 20, 2022
  17. popsmoke

AM7

Feodor2 is from Ukraine.
    I guess the war has thrown a wrench into his project as there has been no new Mypal68 release since August unfortunately.

AM7, Dec 29, 2022
    xperceniol likes this.
Ask a Question