XP drivers HP/Compaq D510 - 22 of 50 downloads failed

Discussion in 'Windows XP Drivers' started by Striver, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Striver

Striver

I used the helpjet.net site to download most recent XP drivers for an old P4 HP/Compaq D510 desktop and 28 succeeded but the rest showed errors, being incomplete downloads, for whatever reason.

Any ideas where i can get the 22 for a full set of 50? i have all the file names, eg. SP22418g (sp224188f.exe) but searching so far just gets me only those hopeless driver download sites. I guess I am lucky to have managed to get 28 of 50 so far..

Maybe i could get some direct from ordinary folk who happen to have them archived?

Striver, Sep 20, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  2. Striver

cmccaff1

28 drivers?! Whoa--I usually download just chipset, video, audio, and LAN (and/or WiFi, if that is available) drivers for any given PC (and install them in that specific order; this is important). Afterwards, I download and install drivers for other components if the need arises for their use.

I'm typing this from Opera 11.64 on an HP Compaq DC5000 SFF with a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 (Prescott), 4GB of RAM, & a DVD+/-RW drive (which, believe it or not, is my main system--it still works wonders to this day). It is still possible as of September 2018 to obtain drivers for that model from the official HP website, as well as the Evo D510. A quick Google search for "hp compaq evo d510 drivers" brought up three different support pages on the official HP website, two of which are dedicated to drivers. I can only safely presume that your D510 is a SFF, so your best bet would be "Compaq Evo D510 Small Form Factor - Driver Downloads | HP":

https://support.hp.com/hk-en/driver...Evo-D510-Small-Form-Factor/316517/model/97130

Ideally, it is best to go straight to the manufacturer's website before you look anywhere else for drivers. Sites like helpjet.net can't always be trusted, and in many cases ought to be avoided like the plague. Most driver updater programs tend to be unreliable too (the only one I trust is SlimDrivers, and even then I only use it for newer models that don't have official XP manufacturer support).

My apologies for not responding sooner--I was surprised no one had given you a response, and wanted to try my best to help you. I pray you will have a wonderful weekend!

cmccaff1, Sep 29, 2018
    Striver and Elizabeth23 like this.
  3. Striver

Striver

hi, well, trying to download 50 was just to make sure i had alternative choices. the data sheets list all the compaq models involved but superseding softpaqs may or may not still be valid for the earlier models, as i understand it so far.

i have one D500, two D510, one D530, and another 530 that needs work, to try and get fully updated.

but first i would like to try things out on a Deskpro EN P3 733, as i have 6 or more of those and it doesnt matter if i mess up with the bios or chipset softpaqs if i learn something useful in the process.

the install order i am going to manually try with the 733 is BIOS, CHPS, GRPH, NETW, SCRD, but will change that of course as necessary.

but anyway, i think today i will try to destroy a 733 :D i only have a couple days more to get a 520 working well enough to get me back onto ebay selling and into an online bank. Paypal is not a problem yet but i think theyre pretty forgiving as vast numbers of poor folks around the world (including me!) dont have SSE2 and TLS1.2 enabled for their browsers yet. but ebay.co.uk seem to be always making changes to one thing or another and causing unnecessary problems.. anyway thats been my experience over the last 12 years selling on there.

i have now at last figured out a list of 9 essential softpaqs to try on the 4 different systems, at least its my list at the start. can you guess which 9 softpaqs are on my 'essential list'?

i have an 'additional list' of 11 less likely ideal choices and then 33 on another list that were downloaded with the others but are currently being regarded as surplus. my 'additional list' is
    ¬
    PRO2K3XP_32
    WDM_A404
    win2k_xp14103
    ¬
    the last 3 may be duplicates of ones which are proper softpaqs (ie. SP prefixed). there is one SCRD i could not find when i looked a second time so have not downloaded it for the additional list, that being AUD_ALLOS_5.10.0.6020_PV_RealtekAC97.exe but the length of the file name seems daft to me and if 5.10.0.6.6020 is the actual softpaq version then that also may be the same as an SP i already have.

HP didnt always work for me (sometimes said 'TLS1.2 needed'). i used driverguide a lot, avoiding the big 'download now' buttons.. but after 15 completed it now fails to fully show the 'pick the pics' security thing, so no further than that do i get :( also used the very good for datasheets site cwcyrix.duckdns.org/ftp-archives/ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/ etc, etc, to download softpaqs. unlike the others that site was always brick slow for me, but it did get there eventually if i restarted at least once per download.

i have been using opera 12 for a long time as well as opera 21 on two of the bases. 12 has mostly been ok for the recent downloads but 21 installed on XP-SP3 with drivers not yet updated doesnt work at all well. i used to use 21 on a 520 without major problems but it was on an XP prior installed partition with i assume enough updating of drivers having been done.

i use the old favourite Powerquest a lot but working when tired one night i accidentally deleted the wrong partition so it was bye bye XP along with the much relied upon Opera 21 install! there is a free partition undelete utility called 'Find and Mount' which finds it ok so i have been able to rescue files but mounting and booting does not work. i have used it experimentally to do a similar rescue on a 530 and it quickly mounted a deleted partition and booted just fine. i think Acronis True Image might get the 520 hard drive to reboot so i can check what drivers were on there enabling 21 to work unhindered. i will keep the 520 drive untouched until i can get to try an Acronis rescue.

many thanks for the great reply. much appreciated :)

Striver, Oct 1, 2018
    cmccaff1 likes this.
  4. Striver

cmccaff1

It sounds like you've got quite a wealth of experience on this subject! Right now I'm actually typing this message from Firefox 2.0.0.20. After doing a ton of trial and error with old versions this is the earliest one I've found that is still usable for most modern tasks (checking e-mails with the plain HTML version of Gmail, social media through legacy versions of Facebook/Twitter, and even talking to out-of-country friends with ImTranslator [which makes it possible to use the Google Translate system; the actual Google Translate site no longer works in most older browsers, and in fact the oldest browsers I've tried on which it does work are Firefox 22 and Opera 11.64]). Some sites look like they went through a Cuisinart, but for the most part everything works the way it should, and the RAM usage is shockingly low compared to the Firefox Quantum (57+) series (which eats RAM as if it's going out of style despite being advertised as a 'fast' browser). If you have an older computer I highly recommend using FF2, for basic searches if nothing else--it is a jack of all trades that will work on all Windows versions down to NT 3.51/95 (granted with some tweaks needed). Mypal 27.9.4 picks up the slack on HTML5-heavy sites that this old FF version can't handle anymore, and for the time being I think I've finally hit the jackpot as far as a good combo.

I take it Opera 21 is the last version that doesn't need SSE2? I know XP supports Opera up to ver36 (& 12.18 for true Presto Opera).

cmccaff1, Oct 2, 2018
    jjndig likes this.
Ask a Question