XP and video chat

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Jon T, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Jon T

Jon T

I am trying to video chat with someone with a old computer. So old that they still have XP rimming. I can use either a win 10 laptop or my Samsung Android 7 tablet. We have a Logitech web cam that seems to work, found an old Logitech driver that seems to do the trick.
    My question is, what compatible video chat applications will work on XP?

Thanks in advance.
    Jon

Jon T, Jan 30, 2018
  2. Jon T

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jan 30, 2018
  3. Jon T

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Jan 30, 2018
  4. Jon T

Jon T

I am still confused.. The latest version of Skype won't work on XP. Which version on the catalog should work? Thank you.

Jon

Jon T, Jan 30, 2018
  5. Jon T

Elizabeth23

skype for xp is offered on microsoft updates website under optional updates, go there and do a custom scan and then you will be able to see it under optional, it is version 7.3. something do not remember to other numbers, I did not choose to install it on my pc.

Elizabeth23, Jan 31, 2018
  6. Jon T

Jon T

Elizabeth,
    I choose not to install it on my PC either. I'm trying to help someone who is a senior who doesn't have money on their old computer. I want to help her chat with her family.

They used ooVoo a while ago but they are out of business. I've looked at IMO, but it is hard to tell if it will work. She would have to install it as am trying to help her over the phone.
    If Skype can work, it will be great. I did find a Logitech web cam driver from 2012 that allowed her XP computer to find the Webcam.

Thank you, all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jon T

Jon T, Jan 31, 2018
  7. Jon T

Elizabeth23

okay, just have her go to microsoft updates and do a custom scan, look under optional updates and skype will be there.

Elizabeth23, Jan 31, 2018
  8. Jon T

Jon T

Thank you, but I am having real challenges trying to help a out of state senior who doesn't have a thousand dollars to just buy a new computer and therefore is still running XP.
    • Can I get help on which version specifically should work on XP ?? Is it 7.36.0.150 ? If someone has a direct link for it, or the version that should work, it would be great.
    • We tried Hangout video and I could see her, but she couldn't see me on both my Win 10 laptop and my Android 7.0 tablet. I don't know what version of hangout she is using on her XP computer.
    • Any other products that might work (with XP?).
    • Last question, it would be a lot easier if I can get control of her computer, but the XP challenge is there. Any apps like Team Viewer that would work on XP and allow to so support online on her computer?
    Thank you,
    Jon

Jon T, Feb 12, 2018
  9. Jon T

Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23, Feb 13, 2018
Ask a Question