XP and grub??

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by billcu, Sep 27, 2014.

1. billcu

billcu

I am wondering if any other XP users here use grub2 as I do with other OSs and know what could be wrong when trying to boot XP and grub2 says "unknown file signature" then goes back to grub's menu? I just have to run fixmbr and erase grub2 altogether.

:confused:

billcu, Sep 27, 2014
  2. billcu

Elizabeth23

https://www.google.com/#q=can+I+run+grub2+with+xp

above is search page for issues with grub2 and xp, read through several threads to see if you can find a similar issue, I do not use grub2 so cannot help you much, but maybe someone else can jump in with some more info. :)

==

Elizabeth23, Sep 27, 2014
  3. billcu

Aunty Jack

Adelaide, in my dreams as my wife tells me.
    Hello Billcu,

I had the same problem after installing a dual boot Ubuntu 12 next to Windows 7 on our "big PC". Uninstall Ubuntu and Grub stays and causes more havoc than a bucket of eggs and a stick. There is a "super grub uninstaller" out there which can fix/remove Grub. Can't remember the site now but just google "grub uninstaller" and see what comes up.

Cheers from Aunty Jack.

Aunty Jack, Sep 29, 2014
  4. billcu

billcu

I know what you mean. Grub drops to command line and you have to know how to manually boot XP or your windows version from grub. With XP fixmbr removes everything. Do that before you remove your gnu/linux partitons and distro.

billcu, Sep 29, 2014
Ask a Question