.xdr files

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by billcu, Aug 14, 2014.

1. billcu

billcu

I am looking through my XP's folders and came across files with an .xdr extension. What do these files do? Also would anyone know how I can configure my XP to boot an old 98se disk I've got? It's for fun and nostalgia? :)

billcu, Aug 14, 2014
  2. billcu

Elizabeth23

from HERE

as for a dual boot see here

there are many threads on this dual boot, I would suggest you read several to insure you have covered all the bases, :)

==

Elizabeth23, Aug 14, 2014
  3. billcu

billcu

WOW! You sure do have a knack for search engines! I googled and couldn't get anything like that. The thing with a fresh install and no filesystem, XP absolutely will not let me format the C: drive with fat32. only ntfs. So the first partition I believe has to be fat32.

billcu, Aug 14, 2014
  4. billcu

Elizabeth23

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/9704-45-install-ntfs-fat32

above thread has a lot of info on formatting, I have only ever had xp, so I am not much help with 98se, but I will try to find out answers to your questions

https://www.google.com/#q=format+on+xp+only+gives+fat+and+ntfs+options+I+want+fat32

above link is google search page for formatting in fat32, again you want to read several.

from one of the threads in the link, if you delete the partition and recreate it but do not format, then you will have an option.

==

5. billcu

billcu

It will format with fat32 the entire 200GB drive I have install some files and then restart and hang. Install over. The thing also is that my win98se boot disk as I try to boot it says that it isn't a boot disk. It was at one time. Maybe not with today's computers. Win98se can certainly not manage the memory of today's computers but I liked it really well and would like to be able to install it again. You just can't get 5.25" floppies anymore. I do have a USB floppy drive though that BIOS recognizes. Newer computers than mine are going to EFI and UEFI loading systems and dumping BIOS.

The thing is I don't know quite how to get my win98se to become a bootable disk.
    :confused:

billcu, Aug 14, 2014
  6. billcu

Elizabeth23

7. billcu

billcu

My 98se disk is an upgrade disk. I do have 95 too which would need to be present to complete the install of 98se.

billcu, Aug 14, 2014
  8. billcu

Elizabeth23

then you might want to use n-lite and slipstream both together as you can not use an upgrade disk to create a bootable install disk by itself

http://www.nliteos.com/download.html

the below search page is for tutorials on using nlite, you can use imgburn to build an os, just search google for a tutorial, but I believe nlite is better to build an os.

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Down...d_Boot_Disk_Images_and_ISO_free_downloads.htm

scroll down to : Boot CD – Win 98SE boot CD with internal CD-ROM support at the above link.

I believe that it is the full 98.

Ask a Question