Wyse Cx0 installing XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Hardware' started by DK59, Oct 19, 2020.

1. DK59

DK59

I bought a thin client to start a pipboy type project with a backpack.

is it possible to get regular xp on the wyse or am I stuck with embedded?

DK59, Oct 19, 2020
    Samir likes this.
  2. DK59

Mike_Walsh

Take a look here:-

https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/cx0/

I have no experience of these things (though a mate on the Puppy Linux forums used to mess about with 'em), but AFAIK 'ParkyTowers' is THE place to obtain all kinds of info about thin clients....past AND present.

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, Nov 18, 2020
    Samir likes this.
  3. DK59

priscus

I have a couple of thin clients running, (they are a HP, and an Igel) I replaced the proprietary modules with mSATA SSDs without problems, but as I found myself limited to 2GB RAM, I opted to run lightweight Linux operating systems upon them. The Parky Towers site mentioned by Mike indicated I should be able to run 4GB on the Igel, but I have tried, and not got it to run, so reverted back to 2GB.

I did wonder if it would be possible to harvest the drivers used by the embedded WindowsXP, to re-use with a conventional disk distribution of XP, as I had envisioned that acquiring fresh XP drivers for the thin clients to be unlikely. (Both of them will boot from disk).

I have no idea where to find the relevant drivers, or whether drivers 'harvested' as suggested would work. I would be interested to hear if anyone does know.

(PS the Igel runs Linux Mint fine, as long as I stick to a lightweight desktop: ie not Cinnamon, Mate is iffy, Xfce is fine.)

priscus, Nov 18, 2020
    Samir likes this.
  4. DK59

Samir

Depends on the hardware. A lot of the Wyse thin clients in this era were made to run windows ce, and typically they weren't strong enough to run xp. But some were able to run either and if you have one of those, you'd have no problem running xp regular on it as long as you add a larger storage module or hard drive.

Oh, and David's site parkytowers is THE thin client site on the Internet, and he's a great guy too!

Samir, Apr 1, 2021
Ask a Question