Wow! What's Happened Here?

Discussion in 'Announcements, Suggestions and Feedback' started by Jody Thornton, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jody Thornton

XPsp2eeePC

VirtualBox works perfect on my XPsp2! So I can play with Linux (if I want; it's like a fun crossword-puzzle to me:p)

My 1st post here is/was IN re:wannacry didn't hit XP thread.
    I wonder IF I'll get "Welcome"d or insulted (my LQthin-skin) here [? tbd lol]

My choice to not spend US$99+ on better-than-my-2008netbook
    is as far as I'd want to go in political/religion discussion:p

XPsp2eeePC, May 24, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  2. Jody Thornton

MelonChickens

Tracking... Oh, wait. That's YOUR location.
    WINDOWS 10 IS A SIN!!! A SIN, I SAY!!!
    REPENT OR FACE THE DIRE CONSEQUENCES!
    Oh. I see what you mean, now.

MelonChickens, Aug 4, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  3. Jody Thornton

Fil89

this private forum which is not owned by microsoft?

Fil89, Nov 1, 2017
    Samir likes this.
  4. Jody Thornton

Sixthofmay

What? Stop using XP? Surely you jest. XP will likely be on my main box until the day I die. I do use Windows 98, 2000, 7, 10, and Linux as needed (over VNC or as a virtual machine) from my XP box. I even have a Window 3.11 and DOS PC I occasionally use to keep some hardware running (old hardware I designed around the early PIC microcontrollers, which need reflashing every 20 or so years due to eprom bitrot).

Sixthofmay, Jan 14, 2018
    Samir likes this.
  5. Jody Thornton

trimis

I would think it more likely due to two reasons. Firstly, too many people seem unable or unwilling to properly use Google, and so never find their way here. Secondly, this forum has competition from other forums, and these other forums seem to be winning...at least so far as activity and new members go.

According to Google there are plenty of XP users around:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/windows-xp-third-most-popular-operating-system-in-the-world-2017-5
    https://mygaming.co.za/news/pc/116211-this-is-how-many-people-are-still-using-windows-xp.html

trimis, Jan 23, 2018
    Samir likes this.
  6. Jody Thornton

Jody Thornton

Well I use XP as a music player box, just to play podcasts and music over an FM transmitter, but it's not at all connected to the Internet. After you use Windows 7 and 8 on newer hardware (I admit I hate Windows 10), you get used to newer systems, and XP becomes a tad long in the tooth.

Jody Thornton, Jan 23, 2018
    Samir and trimis like this.
  7. Jody Thornton

trimis

It would appear the Reds don't agree with you about that "purposeful future":
    https://qz.com/505383/a-first-look-...stem-the-government-wants-to-replace-windows/
    https://www.theverge.com/2015/9/25/9396769/china-NeoKylin-operating-system
    Sounds like they are in it for the long haul. Poor Microsoft. Just when they thought XP was dead, mean ole XI Jinping turns resurrectionist.

trimis, Jan 24, 2018
    Samir likes this.
  8. Jody Thornton

trimis

The most fanatic Xtians encounter "accidents and bad" throughout their lives, as do the most fervent jews and islamists...the Abrahamic-based religions may promise their followers a magic force field against adversity, accidents, predators, and such...yet seldom delivers. If you have been misfortune-free, you can call that an act of divine intercession...I call it luck or karma.

Churches have been struck by lightening, and burnt to the ground. The devoted living in tornado alley or a flood zone are given no more protection from property loss (or death) than any other. I much doubt The Lard and Jaysus cooled the flames that turned Joan of Arc's toes into crispy critters, nor did either bother to intervene when a million or so of The Chosen People were being dispatched at Auschwitz. You can spin-doctor such things any way you want, just as you are free to believe whatever you want.

There is no dearth of forums or interactive blogs (or whatever) devoted to your religion...christianforums, christianityboard, christianforumsite, worthychristianforums, Reddit, Quora, Mewe, Ruqqus, and great gobs of others:

http://accreditedonlinebiblecolleges.org/2010/top-50-christian-forums-on-the-web/

Of course I suspect it is far less fun preaching to the choirboys (unless you're a Catholic priest!) than it is witnessing to the heathens....and good for way less brownie points with The Lardy. In any case, religion and politics are probably not the best 'hot-button' topics to insert into this forum, as 'off-topics' seem to be kept to a lighter note.

trimis, Jan 7, 2021
    cornemuse likes this.
  9. Jody Thornton

trimis

I would regrettably have to agree. I have used XP Pro for the past 3+ years to surf the net, watch online movies/TV shows, email, etc., and it has indeed served well until recently. That said, it is dependent on decent browsers, and I am now down to only one that I would kinda sorta call decent. Firefox 52.9.0 is worthless junk, good only for storing bookmarks. Centaury has a fanatic embedded popup blocker that is out of control, plus it screws up the sound on many videos. Mypal is as close to sorta decent as I now have, but it has begun to suffer from the same defects as Firefox....apparently the developer is porting them into Mypal with each new rendition. In any case, having just one kinda functional browser is simply not going to cut it.

No matter how much I detest Win 7, I see no way to avoid switching to it. On the bright side, its constant grinding on my nerves every day will likely provide a major incentive to fast-track my learning MX Linux.

trimis, Jan 9, 2021
    Jody Thornton and Samir like this.
  10. Jody Thornton

TMTGTR

Too tempting to not chime in.
    In between the "new" programs, securities, enhancements, etc. I understand that there are basic standards that have been around a long time and are set in stone. An example I use is .wav. This can be processed in Wn95, 98, XP, Vista, 7 etc. And so I find it capable to use the tools available for XP as long as they work, which they do.

(Ok an exception, I do not work and I believe neither can XP in 4k Video)
    I have yet to find a non-XP program that offers something that an XP program can't. (Though snake oil apps are everywhere, please update me if you can point to any real apps, I'm sure they exist). And some are open to subjective opinion...

The same is true of .m4a processing; and .mp4 and .mov video processing. Amazing what a 3.4 GHz processor and 3 gigs of RAM can do... oh yeah it takes longer to render than newer machines but I can live with that.

Recently Adobe released Serial Keys for it's entire Adobe Creative Suite 2 ESR which was designed for XP. Basically their top of the line commercial software v2 for free.*
    https://archive.org/details/Adobe-CS2

I'd advise anyone (with financial limitations... or not) interested in Audio/Video/Animation production to install that on a clean XP machine (preferably stripped of all non-essential DAW/DVW processes).

*Most of the Adobe Creative Suite 2 have update patches which do work but must be downloaded from here:
    ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/

I could also point to apps in every other catagory: Office, Art, Security (Yes), system, that offer a competing experience regarding the end product. I had my first denial of completion in a web transaction last week until MyPal 68 walked me through it. So i'm feeling a little cocky right now though I know it's pride before the fall...

The battle is the concerted effort by the "cabal" minions to push the sheep into the next thing. Flush XP into obscurity...

In summation: it can pay to keep XP alive especially for someone like me where money is a factor in all things.

Oh and I don't give a s**t about social media and its cattle calling, so too bad XP prevents me from that ..... Evil

TMTGTR, Jul 25, 2022
    priscus and Samir like this.
  11. Jody Thornton

xperceniol

I feel the same about that, I've never had any social media apps and can only read fb, twitter, (others, as well) if they leave it open to public as I would never even create an account with hem. I remember when win 8 tried to force the youth into social media and I was just glad I'm using XP. Of course win 11 is here, but if I had to buy something new, I honestly think I'd rather just go full Linux.

xperceniol, Jul 26, 2022
    Samir and TMTGTR like this.
  12. Jody Thornton

TMTGTR

I will bite the Linux bullet too when the time comes but only for internet services.

Regarding social climate in the digital world:
    As I watch the waves of millennial youth herd to the cliff edge, I take comfort in my own knowledge of my fall as I watch my peace flags and Jefferson Airplane records burn in a pile along with the other Laurel Canyon Psyop crap that I bought.
    ...And deeper into the hole I go, the more I see...

My Gen Z son is being raised well, his friends are cool and the ones whom are zombies are quietly ignored into anonymity. No social media, tik tok etc. The digital world works for him/I we do not work for it.

But there are kids who do and will wake up, unplug and be free. It may take 50 years, but better late than never.

Most younger people I meet are respectful of their elders. Those who are not can not see the supercilious expression on my face as if to say "I know something you don't"
    But still I pray for them and every one to come to the alter of G_O_D almighty and know whom is the true lord and master...

TMTGTR, Jul 26, 2022
    Samir and xperceniol like this.
  13. Jody Thornton

Samir

Holy Cow! Thank you for posting this as I would have never known otherwise. :)

Samir, Aug 22, 2022
    priscus likes this.
  14. Jody Thornton

TMTGTR

15. Jody Thornton

BlueBeastie

Wow, did you have to be an absolute dick though?
    I know that over-zealous atheists have tons of fun berating anyone that doesn't match their self-assumed high IQ (and your absolute lack of tact and theological understanding suggests your actual IQ isn't very high), but I really think that posts dripping with the amount of hateful disdain should be more cracked down on than religious posts.

A fucking stupid jab at Catholics? Joking about Auschwitz to prove a point? And then you want to keep the posts here on a lighter note?

BlueBeastie, Dec 2, 2022
Ask a Question