Word 2003 install?

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by trimis, Apr 10, 2020.

1. trimis

trimis

Can Word 2003 (from 'Microsoft Office Basic Edition 2003') still be used? I had local computer shop install it, but once I got the PC home, I found it was not activated (or whatever). There was a popup saying I had like 40-some days to validate it or it would basically stop working, which appeared every time I opened it. So I click on the validate by phone, and another popup says that had been discontinued. So next time I click on validate by internet, and nothing happens. Is there something I'm missing, or has M$ trashed this version totally?

trimis, Apr 10, 2020
  2. trimis

Elizabeth23

I use office 2003 myself, and it activates fine for me when I reinstall xp, when I activate it asks for the long list of numbers on the case, then says good to go.

do you have the coa for validation?

Elizabeth23, Apr 11, 2020
    trimis likes this.
  3. trimis

trimis

If you mean the huge string of numbers that show up when you click 'validate by phone', then yes....but validate by phone is now defunct, and when I click 'validate by internet' there are no huge string of numbers that show up...but it don't matter, as clicking on that option does nothing. Could it be that having the computer shop install it there means I cannot validate it here?

trimis, Apr 11, 2020
  4. trimis

Elizabeth23

if you have not bought office 2003 then it can not be validated sometimes it is installed on new pc's but after some time it is then blocked unless you buy the program, there are other free word programs

Elizabeth23, Apr 11, 2020
  5. trimis

trimis

I bought it new/unopened off Ebay. Maybe a bad one. If you're out of ideas, I'll shred it with BleachBit, and try Ebay again. Are you sure it is still being validated by internet? No point in me wasting $20 if M$ is being M$!

So far as Word 2003 goes (the only thing I'm wanting), is there any difference in content between Microsoft Office 2003 Basic and Microsoft Office 2003 Standard?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    trimis, Apr 11, 2020
  6. trimis

Elizabeth23

I am not sure of the difference between basic and standard, in the office suite that I bought I only use word and excel, I do not bother to install the other stuff.

I last did a clean install in dec of 2018, it is about time for me to do it again, and it activated fine then. I do not use the phone to activate, either xp or office, I always activate on line, I will be doing a clean install soon so will have to see what happens.

One day I will do an image, have never done it yet, :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 12, 2020
  7. trimis

trimis

Word 2003 is all I want too, but in the 'Microsoft Office 2003 Basic' I had, Word looked slightly different from the one I remember at the library. There was no left or right borders (just white screen), and the two fonts I used alot were MIA. Not sure if this was because I could not activate it, or if there are slight differences in appearance between Basic and Standard. I'm thinking this time I will look for Standard edition at Ebay.

trimis, Apr 12, 2020
  8. trimis

Elizabeth23

okay. :)

Elizabeth23, Apr 13, 2020
  9. trimis

rebornjumpman

Not sure about Word 2003, but just last week I reinstalled Office XP on fresh install of SP3 and was able to call activation line and get it activated over the phone. Seeing as Office XP came out before 2003, I would assume you should be able to do the same.

rebornjumpman, May 4, 2020
  10. trimis

Dyehard

Come on you guys ... always buy the latest and greatest Microsoft products whether they work or not.

How else is Bill Gates going to catch up to Jeff Besos in net worth?

Dyehard, May 30, 2020
    trimis likes this.
  11. trimis

cornemuse

I use (when I need more than wordpad, which is not often) 'Office 97'. Never had issues more than using the #'s that came with the disk.

cornemuse, May 30, 2020
  12. trimis

Mike_Walsh

Well, I use the Office 2000 suite, running in Puppy Linux under WINE.

Like Liz, I only install certain bits of it; in my case, that's basically Word & Powerpoint. Don't have any use for spreadsheets, so don't need Excel; I prefer Thunderbird to Outlook any day, and in any case Outlook of that vintage only connects to POP3 accounts anyway. I use IMAP, so, no use for Outlook. And I have no use at all for the Small Business stuff, so.....'Word' and 'Powerpoint' it is.

I use both of 'em as 'standalone' apps; despite its age, Word 2000 is still a pretty good standalone word-processor by itself!

All it wants from me is the 25-digit string, in 5 groups of 5 letters/numbers. As for 'validation', er....what possible reason could I have for being daft enough to try and 'validate' a 20-year old office suite, hmm?

Mike. ;)

Mike_Walsh, May 31, 2020
  13. trimis

Dyehard

Plenty of Office 2007 Enterprise suites around that don’t require activation. 2007 is the best version of Microsoft Office in my opinion. Enough bells and whistles to be very versatile and useful but not too many which can be annoying trying to find stuff.

Dyehard, May 31, 2020
  14. trimis

ClippyBeer

In XP I use Office 2007. It was the first version to introduce the *.DOCX *.XLSX formats that are still used by the latest versions of Office. It was also the first version to introduce the much-loathed ribbon menu system.

[​IMG]

To be honest my favorite version of Office was 97 because it was lightning fast! Office 2013/16/19 are the exact opposite of that. I would still be using Office 97 if it wasn't for the incompatible document formats - Yes, newer versions of Office can open older versions but you get some kind of warning and people don't know what to do resulting in unnecessary tech support calls to me. So yeah I reluctantly use Office 2016 for work.

ClippyBeer, May 31, 2020
  15. trimis

trimis

Yeah, I was forced to use Word 2007 at the public library years ago. They are now on 2010 version I think (I don't use it there anymore). As with Windows itself, each new rendition of Word is worse than the previous one, so far as I'm concerned. I got a couple of Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003 discs off eBay, so hopefully one will still have at least one more activation left on its key. I'll wait til the computer tech comes by, and have him do it, so if it doesn't work I'll know I didn't screw it up. If this fails I'll start looking for a hacked version on Darknet!

trimis, Jun 1, 2020
  16. trimis

Lex24

There is no need to look for any hacked version. Volume license editions of both MSO 2003 and 2007 use off-line activation. All what you need is the original volume license version of ISO installation file, SP3 update pack and a volume license key.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    Lex24, Jun 7, 2020
Ask a Question