Won't Download Antivirus

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by Rockfish, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Rockfish

Rockfish

My motherboard called it quits roughly 2 weeks ago. I purchased another motherboard (ASUS P5RD1-VM) and began to rebuild our beloved XP. I have Windows XP Pro. Last night I downloaded the "unofficial" SP4 pack and thought this may resolve my issue. The issue in question is, it will not download any antivirus program. It simply hangs after I click run. I never had an issue like this before. Could this be in my settings perhaps? If anyone is in the know, please advise.

Rockfish, Feb 26, 2021
  2. Rockfish

Elizabeth23

it might have to do with the sp4.

might be a corrupted installer

go to a working pc, download the antivirus and then carry to the xp and see if it will install then

if you are clicking run, then you have or have not downloaded the antivirus?
    or are you downloading from a win 7 pc?

Elizabeth23, Feb 26, 2021
  3. Rockfish

Rockfish

Thanks for your suggestion. I did take from a recent backup I did in January, MyPal, Mozilla Firefox (secondary browser), Quicktime, Ccleaner and Open Office from the USB and installed them without any issues. I "believe", although not certain, that I attempted to reinstall Avast, but it froze. Again, I'm not entirely certain about that as I have been bouncing from computer to computer and attempting various things. I was thinking a corrupt installer, too. Not sure how I would go about verifying that, though.

I generally can get the set-up, but when I click "run" it just doesn't do anything with all antivirus programs I've attempted to install (including Malwarebytes). Even the odd .exe files from other sources sometimes produces the same results. It's already a high proposition using XP with an antivirus program, so imagine running one without any added protection. Pretty scary, but I just love XP! I refuse to let it go.

Rockfish, Feb 27, 2021
  4. Rockfish

Rockfish

I tried to install Panda through a USB key. It looked as though it was going to download. Then after 6 green bars, it hung on "installing KB956250v6001x86.msu". So, in the end, it failed. I then tried McAfee Stinger and that ran completely through the system and found no errors. Unfortunately it's not a substitute for a real antivirus program. If a few more avenues don't pan out, I think I'll uninstall the SP4 pack and reinstall it. Either that, or take the tedious steps of downloading each and every NET Framework beyond SP1 until I reach 3.5. Which is where I was at initially prior to the old motherboard quitting on me.

Rockfish, Feb 27, 2021
  5. Rockfish

Elizabeth23

first you need to delete all references to all antivirus' that you have tried to install, and be aware that some like avast have uninstallers made for their particular antivirus,

once that is done, then run checkdisk with the /r parameter

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=102348

How to perform checkdisk

if you do not have Recovery Console installed, then run from the start menu

go to start, run, type in cmd

in cmd type in chkdsk c: /r and press enter

type Y for yes and press enter

type exit and press enter

restart pc, allow checkdisk to finish and run again

this is a lengthy process depending on the size of your harddrive, the percentages will fluctuate, this is normal, you can view report in the event viewer.

go to start>run> and type in eventvwr.msc, click on the applications directory, and in the right hand panel choose winlogon.

then try your installation again

Elizabeth23, Feb 28, 2021
  6. Rockfish

Rockfish

Thanks a heap, Elizabeth! Much appreciated! I shall get around to this sometime this afternoon. I just want to verify something, though. Are you suggesting running the chkdsk after uninstalling the entire SP4, or should I do it prior to uninstalling it? Makes no difference to me either way.

Rockfish, Feb 28, 2021
  7. Rockfish

Elizabeth23

you would have a hard time trying to uninstall the entire sp4, no I was just saying the antivirus's need to be uninstalled, however if the antivirus came with sp4, it will be harder to uninstall, you will have to go to the registry and delete all lines that deal with the particular antivirus.

therefore just run checkdisk at least twice, until no errors are found and then see about the ability to choose your .exe to run

Elizabeth23, Feb 28, 2021
  8. Rockfish

Rockfish

I ran into a problem from the get-go. After I typed in the chkdsk prompt, a message appeared, as in, "cannot open volume for direct access". Is there a way around this? I thoroughly went through the computer and deleted any and all antivirus files that remained within.

Rockfish, Feb 28, 2021
  9. Rockfish

Elizabeth23

if you read the instructions, after it says it needs to access the volume you are asked to type in y or n for yes/no and then it will occur at the next restart.

Elizabeth23, Mar 1, 2021
  10. Rockfish

Rockfish

I thought I was going bonkers this afternoon. I tried three times, and there was no Y/N popping up after typing in the command. So, I stepped aside to think things over, and then finally discovered that my complete installation went on an "H" drive. Why that is, I'm not sure. I was told at the computer shop that the hard drive I purchased had been emptied, cleaned and ready to go. I'm currently at 70% on the chkdsk and waiting to see the results. In any case, could my thwarted attempts at downloading any antivirus programs have anything to do with everything being in an "H" drive? If so, I sure hope there is a way around this. An antivirus program is the very last thing I need to have installed. From what I recall, most software products instantly search for a "C" drive.

Thanks again, Elizabeth. Both for your time, and patience!

Rockfish, Mar 1, 2021
  11. Rockfish

Elizabeth23

YES, only multiple boots which use a different boot menu are on different drives
    xp should be on c.

any new drive should be wiped before installing, :)

let checkdisk run at least twice,

Elizabeth23, Mar 1, 2021
Ask a Question