Wireless with Netgear card

This is my first post here, hope somebody can help. Trying to reconnect computer .7gig pentium 3. I had it working for couple years with Linksys WMP54G, but after a corrupted registry had to reinstall XP Home.

Been trying for 3 weeks to get first the Linksys adapter to work, and then tried a Kingston WPG54G v3, which is installed now. Have web zero enabled.

had a connection for a few hours, but no internet, now have an exclamation mark.

Also, is either of above cards better than the other for XP ?

it appears you need a driver for xp, did either come with a cd?

if not follow these instructions:

How To Find Drivers For An Unrecognized Device

1. Open Device Manager (Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager)
2. The hardware whose drivers are missing will appear as Unknown device, so it's easier to locate the device.
3. Right click on the unknown device and click on Properties.
4. Under the Properties window click on Details tab and select Device Instance Id from the drop down box.
5. You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_30868086
&REV_01\4&1E46F438&0&40F0

6. The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

Vendor ID = 8086
Device ID = 27DC

7. Once you have obtained both the IDs, proceed to

https://www.pcilookup.com/

8. Then from there you can go directly to the hardware manufactureres website and get the driver.

it appears you need a driver for xp, did either come with a cd?

if not follow these instructions:

How To Find Drivers For An Unrecognized Device

1. Open Device Manager (Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager)
2. The hardware whose drivers are missing will appear as Unknown device, so it's easier to locate the device.
3. Right click on the unknown device and click on Properties.
4. Under the Properties window click on Details tab and select Device Instance Id from the drop down box.
5. You should see a code similar to this

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27DC&SUBSYS_30868086
&REV_01\4&1E46F438&0&40F0

6. The portion of the code highlighted in RED is the Vendor ID and the portion highlighted in GREEN is the Device ID. In this example:

Vendor ID = 8086
Device ID = 27DC

7. Once you have obtained both the IDs, proceed to

https://www.pcilookup.com/

8. Then from there you can go directly to the hardware manufactureres website and get the driver.

Thanks, Elizabeth, I just found the problem, it was the IE advanced options listing, the SSL 3.0, and the TLS 1.0 must be enabled. and that did it.

With a new XP install, the IE is the only browser available, XP comes with version 6, and I just yesterday upgraded it to 8.

Got rid of the Exclamation mark yesterday, not sure how I stumbled onto a fix, but I did.

Your directions to fix driver is a keeper.

Very grateful

you are welcome, :)
Elizabeth, the XP wireless is up and running, but you were right, it did need a new driver, I downloaded a driver WMV54G V4.1_20051117.exe for the Linksys adapter. same looking install set up, but this time it snapped into "on line".

Now, I want ask you about security for this Professional versional of XP. It's a 64 bit, and many security programs are 32 bit only. I read in the security forum that you are like me on a tight budget, what would you reccomend?

WindowsXPforever: yes but is avast designated as for 64 bit? meaning is there 2 versions of the avast free for xp, 32 bit and 64 bit?

Back