"Wireless Switcher" error following installation of dotNET v4.0

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help and Support' started by NeilBreakwell, Dec 4, 2017.

1. NeilBreakwell

NeilBreakwell

On a Sony Vaio VPCW111XX netbook, running Windows XP Home SP3, I installed dotNET Framework v4.0. The installation completes successfully, but subsequently shutting down the computer results in a dialog box with a message about something called a "Wireless Switcher" which must close and the option to "End Now". This happens EVERY time the computer is shut down and is very irritating. Restoring the computer from a backup image to the point immediately before installing dotNET v4.0 cures the problem, so it is definitely related to this update. Any ideas, guys ?

NeilBreakwell, Dec 4, 2017
  2. NeilBreakwell

Elizabeth23

go to start/shutdown/ look at the dialog box does the shutdown have a little shield icon?, this means that you have to shutdown and not restart after a .net install, and there are many .net updates have you updated over at microsoft updates?

Also look in event viewer , are any errors prevalent to this issue?

Automatically Close Applications Not Responding at Shutdown

To Implement for All Users

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]

Registry Key: HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

Data Type: REG_SZ [String Value] // Value Name: AutoEndTasks

Modify/Create the Value Name [AutoEndTasks] according to the Value Data listed below.

Value Data: [0 = AutoEndTasks Disabled / 1 = AutoEndTasks Enabled]

Exit Registry and Reboot

To Implement for Individual Users

[Start] [Run] [Regedit]

Registry Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

Data Type: REG_SZ [String Value] // Value Name: AutoEndTasks

Modify/Create the Value Name [AutoEndTasks] according to the Value Data listed below.

Value Data: [0 = AutoEndTasks Disabled / 1 = AutoEndTasks Enabled]

Exit Registry and Reboot

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control

WaitToKillServiceTimeout and

HungAppTimeout and

change AutoEndTasks to 1 in the value which enables all process to be ended, 0 value will let processes take 20 seconds to end.

==================

I have mine set to 1000, each 1000 is a second

Elizabeth23, Dec 4, 2017
  3. NeilBreakwell

NeilBreakwell

Thanks so much for the reply - much appreciated.
    Will try to re-install dotNET v4.0 in a few days and check registry entries that you suggest. Meantime, staying with the computer running dotNET v3.5 as I also have a second partition running Windows 7 with dotNET v4.6.2
    I don't recall whether there was a shield icon next to the shutdown option, but I did shutdown (not restart) multiple times and the same problem occurred each time. Funny thing is, I also installed this dotNET v4.0 on a desktop computer which is not online and so hasn't been updated since basic install with SP3 and had no issues. Will let you know how I get on. Thanks again !

NeilBreakwell, Dec 4, 2017
Ask a Question