Wireless HDMI from XP to TV

Discussion in 'Windows XP General Discussion' started by ImWolf, Feb 22, 2020.

1. ImWolf

ImWolf

Dell Precision M6400
    Windows XP / Linux Mint OS's
    Hisense (none smart) TV

I want to use my TV as a 2nd monitor not just to watch videos or stream online videos, but also to run other apps like a dos prompt, cad software, file manager, etc.... The easy fix is of course to use a long HDMI cable, but I'm trying to avoid having a cable stretched across the room.

Chromecast didn't work for me probably because of my slow internet service. To start with, it's a pain to setup, and then the signal has to go from PC to router and then to Chromecast/TV. The signal was so lagged and choppy I could not use a mouse cursor let alone watch a video as the audio was totally out of sync.

I'm not familiar with the "Anycast" or "Mirracast" stuff..... not sure if XP even supports these.

Is there something out there that allows for direct connect from PC to TV via a HDMI dongle?

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Wolf

ImWolf, Feb 22, 2020
  2. ImWolf

flavallee Guest

I own a refurbished Dell Precision M6400 WorkStation 17.3" laptop which came with Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit and is currently running Windows 10 Pro Version 1909 Build 18363 64-bit.

Mine does not have a HDMI port, so I doubt if yours does.

flavallee, Mar 10, 2020
    ImWolf likes this.
  3. ImWolf

Mr Siamese Cat

The specs on identical model Dells vary dramatically. I own a set of Dell 1737’s they vary through Graphics cards, CPU’ and even motherboards and consequently HDMI and Esata connectors.

Looked up 2 Dell Precision 6400’s on Ebay UK they both appear to have HDMI, but I don’t don’t doubt that there are those without.

To answer the direct question that you actual asked.

Yes there is an HDMI wireless dongle, about £20 to £50 on ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=hdmi+wireless+dongle&_sacat=0

However may I add, that since you have mentioned the word CAD, which I have some knowledge of. If you try and use AutoCAD through wireless monitor connection you will drive yourself mad with lag. You would be far better off nicely routing a high quality cable.

Hope this helps

Mr Siamese Cat, Mar 10, 2020
    Elizabeth23 likes this.
  4. ImWolf

ImWolf

I'm glad you posted.... On closer inspection, what I assumed was an HDMI port on the side of my laptop is actually a VideoPort.... something I have never used.

My TV does not have this type of port, but instead has multiple HDMI ports. Do I simply need to purchase an adapter similar to this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Display-Po...349264?hash=item4d74295b90:g:RkUAAOSwqYZbBaO4

Thanks

ImWolf, Mar 10, 2020
  5. ImWolf

Mr Siamese Cat

I am of the philosophy it’s always worth a punt for a cheap adaptor. However I have trays full of them that I never use. The link you sent seems it is the correct one. Good cable to my mind is the key, especially if you are thinking anything more than 3 metres which I should guess you are.

My Dell 1737’s work a treat, but they have HDMI and more importantly good graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD3650, which is far more important to drive the monitor. I have tested empirically numerous times and even a VGA connector is fine if the graphics are good.

think you may have Quadro FX 3700m, but I am not sure.

In the end you can’t lose by buying a cable and adaptor – you can always use on an other project if it doesn’t suit the purpose. I believe you can also buy cable that is VideoPort to HDMI, but I think you are far better off buying a good quality high end 5m shielded HDMI Cable that will be more useful in the long run.

Mr Siamese Cat, Mar 10, 2020
  6. ImWolf

ImWolf

Yes, the graphics is the Quadro FX 3700.

I agree that a cable would be best if one doesn't mind it stretched across the room... but there's another option I had not considered. I do own a wireless keyboard which I had used with another PC... just not sure if I can use this with a laptop that already has a built in keyboard? Then it would just be a matter of moving the laptop close to the TV and connecting to it with a short HDMI cable.

ImWolf, Mar 11, 2020
  7. ImWolf

ClippyBeer

If the wireless keyboard is USB then yes, you can connect it and use both the laptop keyboard and USB keyboard at the same time, same as you would plug in a USB mouse and use that versus the touchpad. I have done what you are planning to do - connect my laptop to big screen and use with wireless keyboard from my couch. This was before I bought a dedicated HTPC.

Miracast requires Windows 10 and a Miracast equipped smart tv so no dice if you are using XP. HDMI cable with wireless USB is the painless way to use your TV as a second monitor.

ClippyBeer, Mar 12, 2020
Ask a Question